Thread: Audio question

1. Collapse Details
    Audio question
    Hi Guys,

Question to the EVA1 users. I can't seem to get the audio right in the camera.

Setup& setting
    Mic: Audio Technica AT875R directly connected to XLR.
    Mic level: -60DB
    Line level: 0DB
    No lowcut, no limiter.
    Channel audio level all the way down intentionally to prevent exactly what it does. How come it sounds like it does? I don't pick up on this clipping while monitoring.
    Audio clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zecQ-HDQnA

Thank you in advance and happy shooting guys.

2. Collapse Details
    I don't have that mic, so can't comment on the specs.

I normally keep the Mic Level settings in the audio menu at -50 (which boosts the signal 10db less than your setting)
    Ideally I try to have the audio pots on the side of the camera set to just a bit past straight up (mid-point). If you find yourself needing to turn the pots way down then you should definitely be at -50 or even -40 in the menu.

Also remember to check/verify your audio levels using the display on the Home screen. And of course make sure your switches are set to Manual.

Rather than go directly into the camera at Mic level I normally use a small 2-channel Sound Devices Mix-Pre -- which has great preamps and limiters -- and go into the camera at Line level. I actually keep the limiter on in the mixer, since it helps greatly with sudden loud dialogue.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your feedback. Ill go ahead and start shouting at my camera again to test it out.

4. Collapse Details
    This might be a dumb question, but do you have phantom power switched on for either of your channels?

5. Collapse Details
    No such thing as dumb questions. Yes, PP is turned on for the connected channel.

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with OnSet. Your Mic level setting is likely the best way to fix this. I only hear breakup in the signal at the peaks, so I doubt something else is going on. If your mic has a built low-cut filter switch, switch it off.

I was using a Rode NTG-1 for awhile (I don't recommend it) that has a similar sensitivity to your AT. I always had to pot it down to about 9-10 o'clock at -50db Mic level with Phantom Power.

I also noticed that your AT mic has a response of 90-20,000 Hz, whereas a lot of shotguns in this range seem to start around 20-35 Hz on the low end. It could very well be as simple as that tricking your ears and not setting proper levels at mic check? I don't know... good luck! I hope you figure it out.

7. Collapse Details
    what OnSet wrote. Unfortunately you don't see the clipping in the meters. Always check it with good headphones like Sennheiser HD-25

I dialed down to -40 and have good results both on the Sennheiser wireless an on the ME66 boom. If you have only one mono mic you can set one XLR for both channels and level them differently. That keeps you on the safe side if the source is getting louder or lower.

8. Collapse Details
    Hi guys, thanks for everyone's feedback. I actually went ahead and just bought a new mic. I am using a RODE NTG-4 now and when set to -50 gives me great results. I always now apply Clermond's advise. 2 channels, both leveled differently. I am finally able to record audio with confidence again.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.