1. Collapse Details
    BMPCC4K Data Space
    Question
    Just wondering, when I shoot on my other smaller camera all day, I take up about 50Gb of memory when shooting 4K. I go through one full card for a full days shoot.

But if I were to shoot on the BMPCC4K in the highest quality ProRes and/or in RAW, how much space will it take up?
    Michael Frymus
    Videographer || Photographer

Instagram: @michaelfrymus

2. Collapse Details
    BM Raw 3:1 is similar to Q 0 with regards to storage.

Screen capture from the BMPCC4K manual ...

BMRAW.jpg

3. Collapse Details
    In other words...

You'd use about 50GB for ~18-19 minutes of 4K/60p in the worst 4K setting the Pocket has available (ProRes 422 Proxy). [To keep the math simple, a 64GB CFast card would hold 21.75 minutes while filming only 4K/60p in only PR 422 Proxy.]

If you'd only use 24p then multiply that (say 18 minutes) by 2.5, and you'd have 45 minutes or so in PR 422 Proxy.

As I'm sure you know, the available amount decreases with an increase in quality. Bump it up to the highest setting (a 4K RAW or 4K PR HQ) and you'll most likely need multiple 256GB cards throughout the day unless you're transferring in the field.

Most people who have never used a camera with high data rates might seemed shocked by this, but it's pretty standard. There are also 1080p options, which look great and are much more manageable.

4. Collapse Details
    Awesome! Thanks
    Im going to compare it to the work Ive been shooting, see how many minutes/hours I typically shoot in a days worth and see how much it equates to.
    But sounds like ill be needing more storage soon

But does the blackmagic still have the compression rates? Thought they got rid of it.
    Michael Frymus
    Videographer || Photographer

Instagram: @michaelfrymus

5. Collapse Details
    They do but they are now for Blackmagic RAW. (They removed CinemaDNG 3:1 and 4:1, and lossless obviously.)

Everything has a compression rate besides uncompressed outputs (rare).

6. Collapse Details
    Yes in the table listed above for BMRaw the 3:1 5:1 8:1 12:1 are variable bit rate compressions ... the constant quality has two settings ... the largest file is similar to 3:1.
    Many feel that 8:1 is the same visually as 3:1 ... I just shoot the best constant ... Q 0 ... and cull the files once rendered into a decent ProRes HQ or ProRes file. Anything I
    really like I keep as Q 0 .... usually any personal project.