Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Stupid name, but a beast of a lens. By all accounts, the original Premiere series s35 zooms rivaled some of the best primes available. All of my HD ENG lenses are Fuji Premiere's.

2. Collapse Details
    Dont forget the option of $150, + a 'free' holiday. https://vimeo.com/330128797/3e79c91ccc (please dont share!)

3. Collapse Details
    Finding myself currently in this dither... 18-110 (slow & steady) or 18-55 (fast & shaky). Used the 18-110 before, and really had an issue with how not-close its close focus was... and it doesn't really look like I'd get much better with the 18-55?

I know I could use the x0.8 WA adapter with either (potentially) and get x0.8 the close focus (in a hilarious hearkening back to my HVX200 and HV30-shooting days), but that glass usually degrades images somewhat.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    Finding myself currently in this dither... 18-110 (slow & steady) or 18-55 (fast & shaky). Used the 18-110 before, and really had an issue with how not-close its close focus was... and it doesn't really look like I'd get much better with the 18-55?

I know I could use the x0.8 WA adapter with either (potentially) and get x0.8 the close focus (in a hilarious hearkening back to my HVX200 and HV30-shooting days), but that glass usually degrades images somewhat.

The 18-55 has a delicious macro mode that really changes the close focus range to much much more usable. It's so great. Just a flip of a switch and once the lens is at close focus, you use the macro ring to focus. Really can't say enough good things about that feature. I've got the pair of MK zooms and absolutely love them.
    www.vanheestvisual.com
    FS7 / A7Sii Owner / Operator
    MoVi Pro

5. Collapse Details
    Used the 18-110 before, and really had an issue with how not-close its close focus was
    How close to you want to get? Using Manual focus in the AF/M focus mode works pretty well, used it often. Quote:

"The lens offers two different minimum focus distances. When you are in Manual Focus mode, the minimum focus is limited to 3.1í. Since the lens isnít particularly long physically, the minimum distance to the object isnít so great. Especially at 18mm, the effect keeps you pretty far away from the object. But when you switch into Auto Focus / Manual Focus, the minimum focus distance drops significantly to 1.3í when at the wide end of the lens. The minimum focus goes back to the original 3.1í at the tight end of the lens. This effectively puts you in Macro focusing at 18mm. When this mode is engaged, you can get very impressive close focus shots."

IMHO the worst aspect of the 18-110 is its bokeh as it runs a seven blade iris like a lot of the Cooke lenses. There again if circular bokeh is an important aspect of the shoot I'm doing, which it often isn't, I would use a different lens.

https://www.abelcine.com/articles/bl...-18-110mm-zoom

Chris Young

6. Collapse Details
    Issue being that frequently, I want to focus in on something close while also zoomed in. 18-110 is horrible at that from my experience.

Renting an 18-55 next week, cooking show pilot, will test the limits of its macro for certain.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

7. Collapse Details
    For closeup or macro work, I just put on a 90mm micro Nikkor. It is a beautiful lens that I always carry with me along with the Rokinon 12mm. They fill in the blanks for me with the 18-110. Takes just a moment to swap lenses. That is the beauty of removable lenses.

8. Collapse Details
    Issue being that frequently, I want to focus in on something close while also zoomed in
    Then agreed the best is a lens with a proper macro function. The Fujinon MK macro ring will allow you to lock in dual focus point macro zooms which for cooking shows and for real quick transitions from zoom to super close without having to refocus is great. Having two nailed in focus points locked into each end of the zoom range you require is a great extra capability of this type of back focus macro ring setup. Used to use that a lot with the B4 lenses.

Chris Young

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234