1. Collapse Details
    DVX200 External hard drive connection question
    I'm renting a DVX200 for a shoot this coming weekend. The online docs indicate that my WD Passport USB3 drive will work, HOWEVER: the camera has 2 USB connectors. One is the standard type "A" and the other is that funny segmented USB 3 female port that is on my passport.The cable that comes with my hd has that "proprietary" USB3 male and a standard USB3 male for connection to my computer's USB3 port.

Will the standard type "A" port on the camera work and allow me to offload footage to my drive? I have never seen a male to male version of that other connector.

Also, does the external hd need to be re-formatted and empty, or can I go from the camera to a folder on the drive?

I'll have time to setup scene file preferences, etc., but would like to get this sorted up front.

Thanks for any help on this.
    Ken

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kplo View Post
    I'm renting a DVX200 for a shoot this coming weekend. The online docs indicate that my WD Passport USB3 drive will work, HOWEVER: the camera has 2 USB connectors. One is the standard type "A" and the other is that funny segmented USB 3 female port that is on my passport.The cable that comes with my hd has that "proprietary" USB3 male and a standard USB3 male for connection to my computer's USB3 port.

Will the standard type "A" port on the camera work and allow me to offload footage to my drive? I have never seen a male to male version of that other connector.

Also, does the external hd need to be re-formatted and empty, or can I go from the camera to a folder on the drive?

I'll have time to setup scene file preferences, etc., but would like to get this sorted up front.

Thanks for any help on this.
    Ken
    I use the "Host" port which is good'ol USB A and have never had an external HDD not work, even if it isn't on the list. I format them exFAT.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Larry. I was hoping that was the case.
    Mine is formatted NTSF...I could clear it and re-format if necessary.
    Can you download to a folder or does the drive need to be empty?
    Thanks,
    Ken

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kplo View Post
    Thanks Larry. I was hoping that was the case.
    Mine is formatted NTSF...I could clear it and re-format if necessary.
    Can you download to a folder or does the drive need to be empty?
    Thanks,
    Ken
    I always start with a freshly formatted drive so.....I'm not sure.

5. Collapse Details
    I've used several external drives NTSF. There is something in the menus where you have to set the DVX as a host. Did it once a while back and haven't messed with it since. I've had no problems backing up files to the HD. Do download the instructions from Panasonic's site and have a quick review. Would be nice if it could record directly to the HD, but oh well... BTW, it does seem to work with far more HD's than originally listed, I don't recall mine, but it's not on the list and works fine.