Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Wish I were banned. Drew Ott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    4,678
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    Super 16mm arri sr 2 camera

    I had no idea how much work I was going to get from it
    Do you still get work with it? I’ve never shot film and I think it’d be a lot of fun if it were affordable.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,909
    Default
    i always thought digital would progress faster than it did. Film is still king nearly two decades since Lucas films declared war on it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Wish I were banned. Drew Ott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    4,678
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    i always thought digital would progress faster than it did. Film is still king nearly two decades since Lucas films declared war on it.
    Agreed. Film still looks significantly better. Remember when we all thought the DVX100b looked like film?
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,525
    Default
    Nokton 25mm (m43) - workhorse, great IQ jump
    Think tank international bag - 7 years strong, still looks new, constantly used

    Retro -

    Sony digital 8 handicam - for $800 i used this for 6 years (1999-2005) in high school and college to make over $100k in video as a side hustle with no other equipment except an old cheap budget tripod from the 70s. Even reused tapes over and over, and used a bundled version of ulead media studio pro. Ah the good old days when people were still impressed that “there are words on the screen!”


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    4,525
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Easy. Cowboy Studio's infamous shoulder rig. It makes me laugh every time I think of it but for less than $30, it continues to be one of the most versatile and comfortable shoulder rigs out there for smaller cameras -- and this is coming from someone who has spent many thousands of dollars on shoulder rigs over the years. It took me a while to figure out that I need to leave a little room so that I can use the front "tong" as a handle; otherwise it will pick up your breathing. The plastic is basically indestructible and it folds down to fit easily in a backpack. It has been an integral part of my kit for a decade.
    Seconding this as well... I have a box full of shoulder rigs from various brands. I think I got the revo version of this or something, but I was shocked at how well it works for DSLRs. At $30 it’s an improvement over many much more expensive rigs. No kidding.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,909
    Default
    There are a lot of simple things that make life easier. Though too many to actually list, I think they collectively get an honorable mention:

    the headlamps,
    the bongo ties
    the gloves,
    the small case that keeps small items and short cables organize in the pelican or camera case.
    that back up memory card or ssd you get on sale when you don't need one at the time.
    and so many more.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,909
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ott View Post
    Agreed. Film still looks significantly better. Remember when we all thought the DVX100b looked like film?
    Haha! Yeah, i remember the feeling of shooting 24p for the first time.


    I am doing a vintage video camera shootout. Going to have dvx up with the varicam and f35. Should be fun to see how far we’ve come a long, and how far we still need to go. Digital has exceeded expectations in resolution and sensitivity. But still could improve in many ways. Specs symantics seems to hold back the train.

    I’ll say, cameras like the Varicam, 5d, and few others where excellent money making tools in their perspecetive eras.
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-18-2019 at 11:31 PM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,646
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Haha! Yeah, i remember the feeling of shooting 24p for the first time.


    I am doing a vintage video camera shootout. Going to have dvx up with the varicam and f35. Should be fun to see how far we’ve come a long, and how far we still need to go. Digital has exceeded expectations in resolution and sensitivity. But still could improve in many ways. Specs symantics seems to hold back the train.

    I’ll say, cameras like the Varicam, 5d, and few others where excellent money making tools in their perspecetive eras.
    My VariCam's are still making me money. They still look great, even in the context of todays cameras, whether it's "film" or "video". I just did a two-day show for one of my network clients with my two 2700's and the director back in the studio, our field director and head-of-directors was saying how good the cameras looked. Obviously part of it was our lighting, but I've always prided myself in having good looking cameras. It's part of our freaking jobs. ESPECIALLY when they are YOUR cameras.



    *The head of directors brings us in every year for this event coverage, because he likes and knows what he's going to get out of us with our cameras, lighting and experience.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member James0b57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,909
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    My VariCam's are still making me money. They still look great, even in the context of todays cameras, whether it's "film" or "video". I just did a two-day show for one of my network clients with my two 2700's and the director back in the studio, our field director and head-of-directors was saying how good the cameras looked. Obviously part of it was our lighting, but I've always prided myself in having good looking cameras. It's part of our freaking jobs. ESPECIALLY when they are YOUR cameras.



    *The head of directors brings us in every year for this event coverage, because he likes and knows what he's going to get out of us with our cameras, lighting and experience.
    I've never used the 2700/3700 series vari's. I'm still quite surprised by the original 27. To think that 15yrs later cameras with all the advancements, and there is still something to the tone curve on the old varicam. It is the reason I am doing a vintage digital camera shoot out. I am curious what makes us respond to some cameras, and whether that was a fleeting moment in time when we didn't know any better, or if there really was something good going on.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member Mark Williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Deep South, U.S.
    Posts
    1,164
    Default
    Panasonic G85 with 12-60 kit lens for $749. That lens alone is worth $450.
    Regards,

    Mark

    GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •