Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    The best piece of gear I ever purchased is my Shure SM-58 mic. I bought it in 1978 for a $100. I still have it, still use it and it sounds just fine. I've replaced the windscreen once and clean the diaphragm once a year. Even including the cost of the emplacement windscreen that amortizes to less than $2.75 a year. Most of my mic collection - AKG 404B/ULS, Neumann TLM 103,and other mics, about a dozen total - have been in my collection for 20 or more years; still work and sound great.

Mic stands, rack mount cases and the like have been banged around for years and, although they show wear, are still very useful.
    Filmmaking is the art of being invisible; if anyone notices your work you haven't done your job right.

Peace,

Bob
    alcoveaudio.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I'd have to say the dana dolly. It's probably paid for itself 10X over in the years that I've had it and has worked on nearly every shoot.
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

3. Collapse Details
    Sharpie pens!

Also the Paladin cable stripper for BNC connectors that I bought about 20 years ago.

Could add in the Ideal type 110 punch tool (gets a lot of work, recently installed two Audio Arts AIR-5 consoles), Paladin (now Greenlee) crimpers with changeable dies (rj45 & hex).

Screwdrivers that are too many years old to remember.

The GH2 has been good to me too, bought both of them for about $200 each and they still do what I need, and will do so for the foreseeable future.

4. Collapse Details
    Easily the 30 dollar Takstar SGC 598 Mic I used to shoot my feature with. Didn't even have to EQ it in post. Just basic noise gates and light compression and it sounds beautiful.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

5. Collapse Details
    I just brought a Small Rig sun shade for my GH5 lcd screen and that might take the cake, hah. 8$ to finally be able to see the screen outside!

6. Collapse Details
    My DVX100B, it changed my life professionally, opened up new doors and allowed me to re-invent how I made a living in media. It brought me here to this group where I have and continue to learn more and more each day. So it has now and will always be the best investment I have ever made in tech. And I have to thank the guy from Alberta/SAIT who started this group, thanks Jarrad.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    2x DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    Teradek Vidiu kit-BM WebPresenter/Open Broadcaster & WireCast.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I've never used the 2700/3700 series vari's. I'm still quite surprised by the original 27. To think that 15yrs later cameras with all the advancements, and there is still something to the tone curve on the old varicam. It is the reason I am doing a vintage digital camera shoot out. I am curious what makes us respond to some cameras, and whether that was a fleeting moment in time when we didn't know any better, or if there really was something good going on.
    As someone that owns and uses cameras from multiple generations, I say there was 'something good going on'. It's kind of sad that so many now look down upon "old" 2/3" 3-chip/CCD cameras. The only thing really bad about my 27H is that it's tape. Operationally and feature wise, the 2700 smokes it, but the 27 still has a great picture.

8. Collapse Details
    Hands-down, my 3kw portable generator has been the best return on investment of anything I've put money into. It's paid for itself multiple times over.

My Nikon D300s were exceptional pieces of kit too. I was shooting stills work with them professionally for 11 years until I switched over to Fuji at the start of 2019. They simply would not die. If only all the kit we buy would give us so many happy years of service!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ott View Post
    Do you still get work with it? Iíve never shot film and I think itíd be a lot of fun if it were affordable.
    Just started working with film a couple of years ago

Itís the best thing I ever did artistically and work wise

You might spend more in pre production (but not really if you own the camera) but save on post(color grading)

Itís cheaper than you think ( and sometimes a lot cheaper)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123