Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Original DVX-100A, I bought new for $5,000.00, I billed out $28k in customer line items for it before we had to switch to HD with the HVX200. I truly loved that little camera, it was such a joy to use. It was my first pro level small camera, after years with the Betacams, F900, Original 27 Varicam on rentals and owned the Sony DSR-500WS DVCAM. The DVX was a special piece of gear that kind of revolutionized the industry IMHO. The first small, cheap, easy to use, made good looking images with cheap Mini DV tape, I really miss that little camera.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I may revise this as I think on it some more but what comes to mind are:

StarTech Disk duplicator. Allows me to easily clone a workstation drive back to a known good drive when something goes wrong. This little thing saves a ton of time because installing a trainload of software, plugins, updates, OS etc takes a looooooooong time when you do it all legally.

Sony PCM M50 audio recorder: I love these little things. Got the 1st pair back in 2011. So helpful in so many scenarios and good sound!

Phantom 3 Pro: After watching various multirotors for about a decade prior once the P3P arrived the quaility and price finally was where I wanted it to be and pulled the trigger. Suddenly I could do shots I only dreamed of back in the 90s. Also have a P4P which is better but the P3P still gets used.

Panasonic AG HMC150: These stepped us into the world of HD and out of 15 years of using tape. Still have 3 of them we use for events because the colors are nice and love global shutter

Sony NEX FS700R: This camera felt like it stepped us into a larger arena with Slow motion and 4K. Still my A and B cams

Matrox RT.X100 and Matrox MX02 Mini Max: These things let us compete with the big boys in town offering accelerated effects real time operations that most others couldn't do.

Neewer LED CN160 on camera Lights: After spending hundreds on other on-camera lights from other companies I tried some of the cheapo plastic $30 Neewers and never looked back. Use these for every wedding. The weight is much less and the color is more consistant than some others I paid nearly $500 for.

E-image tripods: At the time of purchase these things were by far the best price/performance tripods I'd ever bought. Got them on sale for around $200 or less. Have about 5 of them now (3 different models) and still use them.

Tascam DR 10L audio recorders: Love these little recorders. They make life easier

Sony Action Cams: Using action/bullet cams back since 2002 gave us significant advantages over the competition being able to capture unique/difficult or even otherwise impossible shots. But the required external recorders, cables, batteries etc were a pain and the image was less than our regular cameras. That all changed with the first Sony Action cam 10 years later. We use these little things for nearly everything.

Sennheiser AVX: Got it on sale and want another. Turn it on and it just works. Fast and easy!

3. Collapse Details
    All 10+ light stands I own. They just keeps on working.
    Sennheiser G3 systems. I bought some used and I can sell them for just as much and they bring in money better than stock. And they just works every time.
    Sony FS7. Paid for it self in a few months and have been a blessing as clients always ask for it so a true bringer of income. And it delivers on image quality.

I can go on but most things I now own have a very good price/performance ratio and I tend to keep things longer and longer. There's just not much to justify buying any more.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ott View Post
    Do you still get work with it? Iíve never shot film and I think itíd be a lot of fun if it were affordable.
    You actually used the words "film" and "affordable" in the same sentence. Contraditciton in terms. I loved my Arri SR2 but sold it a long time ago because clients would no longer pay to shoot film and it was way too expensive of a venture for hobby shooting or fooling around.
    The challenge with film was, with some scrounging, you could actually find some stock at a reasonable cost (short ends, extra stock purchased and not used, etc.) But then you had lab. And crappy, cheap lab was always a risk so you went to FotoKem and had them do it right.
    Cha-ching. Then maybe have them or Yale do a one light, just so you could edit it. Then once you had a locked cut, do a matchback at a high end or even medium end telecine facility ($350.00-$500.00 per hour and up).

Shooting film is great but save it for something that has budget. If you do a low cost version, you won't be realizing what the power of shooting film is and a high end version is freaking costly. And while I loved S16, a lot of times when you had budget,
    you'd talk yourself and or the client/agency, whomever was footing the bill, "You know, for just this much more, we can shoot it on 35mm." Then all bets were off and you were spending serious money. But it did look leagues better than S16 ever could.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234