Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bengiles View Post
    I went with Cine D instead of V Log on this big project Iíve just shot. I just couldnít get consistent results with V Log in a fast paced mixed light environment, when testing, so went with the baked in profile. Juryís still out for me. Lots of advantages of the GH5/S over the FS7, but various gotchas as well of course.

Iíve kept my Sony 18-110 (actually bought it back) so I can use both systems and see what Sony replace the A7S2 and FS52 with. Overall, my biggest criticism of the GH5 is the over sharpened image. Looks a bit small chip video-y sometimes.

Ben.
    I am guessing you shot everything with NR and sharpening all the way down? One odd thing that was found is that electronic lenses added further sharpening. Someone concluded this by taping off certain contacts on the back of the lens. I think it was just with electronic lenses. People also found 5k open gate mode to have less sharpening.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sgttom View Post
    I am guessing you shot everything with NR and sharpening all the way down? One odd thing that was found is that electronic lenses added further sharpening. Someone concluded this by taping off certain contacts on the back of the lens. I think it was just with electronic lenses. People also found 5k open gate mode to have less sharpening.
    Yes, both dialled right down. It’s a shame there’s nobody at Panasonic Lumix division to have a sensible dialogue with. The people at the trade shows are usually sales teams with a very low level understanding of the products. I’d like to be able to switch sharpening off completely, while still enjoying the stabilising abilities of the native lenses. And if there’s a good reason they’ve set sharpening/NR at a certain minimum level, it would be good to know why.

Ben
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bengiles View Post
    And if there’s a good reason they’ve set sharpening/NR at a certain minimum level, it would be good to know why.
    You absolutely need at least some noise reduction in order to get a reasonable compression efficiency (you can't compress noise).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    You absolutely need at least some noise reduction in order to get a reasonable compression efficiency (you can't compress noise).
    Cheers Cary. It's the sharpening that's the issue for me - I'd like to have the option of seeing how the picture looks with less sharpening.

Ben.
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

5. Collapse Details
    If I put sharpness at -5 I do not see anything overly sharpened.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    If I put sharpness at -5 I do not see anything overly sharpened.
    I guess that's subjective - I'm comparing it with a 3+ year working knowledge of the FS7, which has a noticeably softer presentation - but which responds well to a gentle bit of sharpening when needed.

My gut feeling is that the GH5/S image could be just a bit more pleasing if Lumix gave us the option of lower sharpness - especially with native electronic lenses.

Ben.
    Last edited by bengiles; 09-23-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    Ben Giles GBFTE BAFTA

www.matobo.co.uk

@MatoboLtd

7. Collapse Details
    Plenty of options in post to soften the image........ I don't find it too sharp but in 4k/UHD it's downsampled so the perception of sharpening may be from the resize algorithm rather than any added sharpening. When I use it in open gate mode i.e with no in-camera downsampling it looks a bit less 'sharp'. Toying with the prospect of an S1 or S1h and the later features an OLPF - does the FS7 have one?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456