Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf2koc@hotmail.com View Post
    I found a more elegant solution to untethered TC recording: Timecodesystems' Ultra Sync One. It cheaper than the Senn G4 set and seems to be better suited for wireless TC over 100m. I noticed w/ the Senn G3-G4 will wear down over time after lots of field uses. The non-removable rubber antenna on the TX & RX wears down the fastest. I have several G3s' antenna already shredded and bent.
    Great wireless systems, especially for the money, with an Achilles heel. And you’ve found it.

I have quite a few G3 ew112 systems and G4 ew512 systems, and I’ve had them all modded with SMA whip antennae. This makes a HUGE difference in both range and stability. All my receivers are modded. The G4s are used on talent or for client monitoring and the G3s are used for cam hops. The G3 TX for my bag, for the camera hop, is the only TX I’ve had modded so far. Eventually, I may deal with all my TXs.

If you have any of these systems, I highly recommend the mod.

That said, I absolutely second Scott’s comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    ... the right question is more important than the right answer.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

2. Collapse Details
    After a 20 min sending continuous TC, it worked as a test. Then used the G3 for regular audio for 2 days. All of the sudden the receiver would not receive anymore. The green RF just would not function. I tried to remove batteries, rescan all frequencies and nothing. The TX still appears to be OK by showing movement. But nothing on RX. I had this for 7 years. Light use. Not sure if sending TC caused the malfunction or the G3s are getting old. But it's making me worried that this solution is not going to last.

3. Collapse Details
    Stupid question, but any chance the mute switch on the TX got bumped? Those are quite easy to hit by accident, and even a light brush can be enough to cut signal flow.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    If there is no RF at the receiver, I would assume this has nothing to do with the TC. I would re-check the usual possible causes like verifying the Tx and Rx channel frequency are the same, extraneous RF interference, (try another frequency), or as Alex stated, an engaged mute switch.. btw, the G3 and G4 SK100 bodypack Tx have two mute modes, one will mute the audio signal only, leaving the RF signal intact, the other cuts the RF (and of course the audio). The mute switch can be disabled fairly easily in the Tx advanced menu or the whole Tx locked.

5. Collapse Details
    I verified the MUTE sw on the TX. It is set to unmute. Scanned new frequency blocks and manually entered the preset freq like I normally would. No luck. I noticed that if I leave the RX off for 12 hours, the next day it would intermittently work, but then the RF would turn and off after several minutes. Not sure what is going here but it whatever it is, it's not working after several minutes of being off for 12 hours. My other A1, G, B freq channel worked fine. Just this A block wouldn't work. I don't have another spare A block to try out to see if the TX is working. If only there's a way to factory reset the firmware on the RX. Seems like there's no way to do it.

Yesterday was recording dialogue just fine until later on the day the RX would not output any audio for unknown reason. Didn't change any setting or touch any thing. Just no RF out all of the sudden during the recording session. 1st time I experienced this. Perhaps this is the end of life for the Senn G3 RX... Repairing this may be more expensive than buying another used or get the G4 set. This G3 A freq set has served me for almost a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    If there is no RF at the receiver, I would assume this has nothing to do with the TC. I would re-check the usual possible causes like verifying the Tx and Rx channel frequency are the same, extraneous RF interference, (try another frequency), or as Alex stated, an engaged mute switch.. btw, the G3 and G4 SK100 bodypack Tx have two mute modes, one will mute the audio signal only, leaving the RF signal intact, the other cuts the RF (and of course the audio). The mute switch can be disabled fairly easily in the Tx advanced menu or the whole Tx locked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12