Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Well... For domestic US flights, from a customer perspective it has. It's way worse, now. They're flying Greyhound buses with seats the are literally less comfortable than park benches. I don't understand how you can call something a "seat cushion", when it's anything but...
    Commoditization. Which is where the camera business is going.

And you can still fly private or business/1st class. That's your ARRI Alexa65.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Commoditization. Which is where the camera business is going.

And you can still fly private or business/1st class. That's your ARRI Alexa65.
    Commodtization: No more than it has been the last few decades. They're just trying to maximize profits at the expense of the comfort of their customers.

Fly private: Once every few years, I'll have a shoot where that happens. Otherwise, good one... You should take that act on the road.

Business/1st: What airline flying domestic routes within the US has business class? Usually business class is just available on international routes. When I'm paying for my own travel I fly first, because it's not that much more than coach(sometimes only $100). But when I'm flying for clients and they book it, most do not book first as a matter of policy(even though it can be less expensive when you factor in multiple checked bags/cases), UNESS that is the only seat available and that person has to be on that flight.

3. Collapse Details
    PS. When you think about it in historical terms, this isn't a new phenomenon. Rail transportation reached its limits as a passenger service about 100 years ago. Air transport hasn't changed much since Boeing 707 went up in the air. Automobiles are at a level where a racing/supercar performance can be had for an average annual wage (in the US). At least, giant sea ships have become profitable floating buffets.
    This is a fascinating way to look at the camera industry. And, I think you're right on the money. The major technological hurdles have already been overcome, at this point they are just tweaking colors, functionality, etc.

4. Collapse Details
    4K/60p is a technical hurdle that still needs work/time...not there yet. It's of course available but limited in various ways (small sensor, mediocre specs, high price).

When you can get a full-frame 10-bit 4K/60p machine for a couple of thousand that's my official end.

But maybe people in 5 years will say that about full-frame 10-bit 8K/60p.

5. Collapse Details
    ... Business/1st: What airline flying domestic routes within the US has business class? Usually business class is just available on international routes. When I'm paying for my own travel I fly first, because it's not that much more than coach(sometimes only $100). But when I'm flying for clients and they book it, most do not book first as a matter of policy(even though it can be less expensive when you factor in multiple checked bags/cases), UNESS that is the only seat available and that person has to be on that flight.
    But that's because you're more than happy to join the flying bus crowd. The ability to make better arrangements is there. With a free glass of wine too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    4K/60p is a technical hurdle that still needs work/time...not there yet. It's of course available but limited in various ways (small sensor, mediocre specs, high price).

When you can get a full-frame 10-bit 4K/60p machine for a couple of thousand that's my official end...
    S1H promises to have that internally (or 6K at 24p).

8K 24p will naturally be here by Christmas.

6. Collapse Details
    The S1H will have 10-bit 60p but it won't be full-frame.

All eyes still on Sony being the first. (In a stills camera.)

7. Collapse Details
    But that's because you're more than happy to join the flying bus crowd. The ability to make better arrangements is there. With a free glass of wine too.
    I am? Necessary evil and "more than happy to..." are not the same thing. If I never had to fly again, at least domestic commercial coach, I'd be ecstatic. But it's a necessary and practical evil doing this for a living.

8. Collapse Details
    The S1H will have 10-bit 60p but it won't be full-frame.

All eyes still on Sony being the first. (In a stills camera.)
    From Matt Allard -
    ... I also attempted to find out whether the 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording was using an APS-C crop, and I was told that is yet to be determined.
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/...orless-6k-24p/

Technically speaking, they could pixel bin a la A7RII/III. Or they could crop. Or mix and match.

I am? Necessary evil and "more than happy to..." are not the same thing. If I never had to fly again, at least domestic commercial coach, I'd be ecstatic. But it's a necessary and practical evil doing this for a living.
    It beats driving a minivan.

9. Collapse Details
    So if it's not yet determined, why do you say it's "promised"? lol

10. Collapse Details
    So if it's not yet determined, why do you say it's "promised"? lol
    I read it as 4K 60P internal ... on a full frame sensor.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast