Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Know about Knowing?
    "Knowing" 2009. It's another Nic Cage film that would have been more enjoyable without Nic Cage. Not that I actually hate him, (not as much as many people do), but I always think that any film he's in would be that much better if he wasn't in it.

Case in point, "Knowing". It's a pretty good apocalypse movie with a good story line, nice pacing, and some fairly good acting by the supports. But every time Nic appears I get distracted because I know he's just acting! Everybody knows about his "unique" acting style, and some people even go so far as to compliment him on it. But I just think it's nothing but deliberately peculiar. Like all actors he's more or less obliged to make himself "memorable" to make himself saleable in the film-making business. But I think the persona he's chosen to go with is a handicap rather than an asset.

I think he's an actor who relies too much on a manufactured appearance to carry his acting. Not that he's appealing-looking! I mean, that hair! I wish someone would tell him to get it cropped way back so that it doesn't look like a 50s kid trying to imitate an Elvis style... And I'd bet the farm that his everyday voice sounds nothing like his "movie voice". I don't know any other actor whose voice sounds so artificial and affected. If he really speaks like that in normal conversation, I imagine it discourages people from calling him for a chat! His profile is, to put it kindly, unfortunate. That lower lip hangs out like a chimp, and his back hump would do Quasimodo proud!

Last but not least, his semi-permanent scowl gets in the way of his acting. Even when he's supposed to be being mild, and happy, he frowns like he's just been insulted.

I enjoyed "Knowing", for many reasons, despite the fact that Nic Cage is in it.

How say you?
    Last edited by Sagan; 06-26-2019 at 07:18 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    LOL, this is not as much a review of "Knowing" as it's a hate paean to Nicolas Cage . I have not seen "Knowing", it's not usually the kind of movie I like, but I found your take on Cage interesting. I think there is such a thing as a performer who just gets under your skin, and that's an individual thing, a chemistry if you will, between audience member and performer. Now there are simply bad actors - i.e. actors who can't act, or are very poor at it, and who have no redeeming value on screen. But then there are actors who are "mannered", who have a certain style, which can rub people the wrong way - and others may actually like. Nicolas Cage falls into the second category. Take Jack Nickolson - that's a very mannered actor. I mean, he acts acts... you either like him, or you hate him - I think he can be pretty brilliant, but I like him in smaller doses, not all the time - he also has his "style", his super mannered way of speaking, his eyebrow trick etc, etc. etc. The thing about Nic Cage is that he's in all the movies - especially the B grade or exploitation films. Nic Cage has a schtick. If you are lucky, you like it, sort of like liking licorice - you might really, really like it, or you may hate it (for the record, I hate licorice). I am very lucky in that I don't hate Nicolas Cage - but I fully understand if someone does... because I hate many other actors, and it's unfortunate, because it limits the enjoyment I get from fllms they're in. Sort of like not liking a certain food element will limit your diet. I hate Colin Farrell - I think he's a no talent hack whose career I just don't understand... why does anybody employ this utter hack? But there you go - he's probably no worse than a thousand other hacks whom I don't hate. Sometimes it has to do - for me - with a hack who becomes super popular/big - I'm not offended by a hack who is recognized for being a hack, what offends me is a hack who for some reason is treated as a good actor, like Colin Farrell.

So I feel lucky not to hate Nic Cage - in fact, I often think he adds something to a film, like a spice. Yeah, he's goofy looking, and he has his bag of well worn tricks, but for some reason I can't bring myself to hate him - just as well since he's in so many movies - but I do feel for you To me, he livens things up - look at the movies he's often in - those are cheap stupid dumb movies (often - I have not seen "Knowing"), and Nic Cage comes in and stirs up the joint - someone you can clap eyes on and watch, since everything else on screen is so dismal and dull. This is akin - not exactly, but similar - to the actor who really can't nessesarily act, but whose entire reason for being is screen presence. Those actors always play themselves, because they have no range, but for whatever reason, we can't take our eyes off of them. They can even be bad actors, but have loads of screen presence and you just watch them hypnotized - Humphrey Bogart was such an actor... he was pretty bad at acting, but boy, you couldn't take your eyes off of him! Sly Stallone - much less of a screen presence, and he can't act, he's always himself on screen, the same Sly in every picture, still he has a bit of screen presence and that's enough. The Rock. Swartzenegger - same deal. Not all action hero actors are the same (at one point Nic Cage was regarded as an action actor!) - Bruce Willis can actually act, even if he mostly does the same thing in every movie, but he has a bit of range, whereas someone like Sly has none. But we watch those guys, because when they walk into a room, everyone notices - some folks just have that quality of presence. For Cage it's a bit different - when I see Cage in a film, I know he'll liven things up. If you want to get really depressed you should see all those 3rd tier actors who act in C or D grade movies and who for some reason are promoted to "action" status and who have neither acting ability, nor screen presence, nor any reason for being other than to depress the viewer - example: Scott Adkins (you might not even know who that is). At least Sly, The Rock, Swartzenegger, Willis etc. are first tier "presence" actors - there is also the second tier, guys like Chuck Norris who can't act his way out of a wet paper bag, and whose charisma level is tiny, but at least it's there, tiny, tiny as it is - you can stil (barely) watch him. Scott Adkins is a guy who not only can't act, but whose screen presence is zero - the level of a dead chicken... explain that career - my only thought here is that he apparently has some martial arts training, so he uses that - but man, what a total joke - and that face! But there you go. Now, would I rather watch Nicolas Cage - any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

So Nic Cage gets by through having a schtick. For some it's good enough. For others it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

3. Collapse Details
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    LOL, this is not as much a review of "Knowing" as it's a hate paean to Nicolas Cage . I have not seen "Knowing", it's not usually the kind of movie I like, but I found your take on Cage interesting. I think there is such a thing as a performer who just gets under your skin, and that's an individual thing, a chemistry if you will, between audience member and performer. Now there are simply bad actors - i.e. actors who can't act, or are very poor at it, and who have no redeeming value on screen. But then there are actors who are "mannered", who have a certain style, which can rub people the wrong way - and others may actually like. Nicolas Cage falls into the second category.
    Well, what can I say to that? You've put my case better than I did. You didn't change my mind about Cage, but you gave me a lot to think about.

I can't agree with you about the value of "screen presence", though. When you think about it, every actor could be said to have screen presence, no matter how minor. Just the willingness to be photographed while pretending to be someone else implies a certain peculiarity in those people who act for a living, and that's something that fascinates ordinary people. I think what we think of as "screen presence" is just our subjective response to seeing this phenomenon on the screen. So, really, an actor doesn't need to adopt unnecessary mannerisms or affectations, unless they're inherent in the character he's portraying.

I think that what we really react to is the personal charisma of the person who's standing there being photographed. Even though we "prepare" for watching a movie by suspending our disbelief, we never entirely forget that we're looking at an ordinary person who's reciting words that he didn't think up, and exhibiting emotions that he doesn't really feel. That itself imparts a screen presence. So, when an actor deliberately strives to include eccentric mannerisms into his acting, it seems superfluous to me. I think, "Just act, for goodness sake! Never mind doing your "Nicolas Cage" bit every time!"

Of course, some actors can't avoid it. Humphrey Bogart is an excellent example. His personal charisma came though without any obvious effort on his part. You knew you were looking at H. Bogart even though he was pretending to be someone else. Because his charisma was so much a part of his day-to-day real-life personality, you enjoyed his acting even more, because you recognised the skill required for him to pretend to be someone else.

I completely agree re Colin Farrell. I think he gets work only because the script calls for "bystander with eyebrows". I hadn't heard of Scott Adkins, but I looked him up a few minutes ago and I've already forgotten what he looks like.

Thanks for your very entertaining reply.
    Last edited by Sagan; 06-27-2019 at 06:21 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    Well, I could have done without that, McGee.

6. Collapse Details
    I think most people gave up hating NC after KA:

[NSFW] - https://youtu.be/eksxzLoPSpI?t=89 (I made the link start at a particular time, but that entire scene is badass.)

7. Collapse Details
    William Shatner : Nick. Cage. Is. A. Very. Peculiar. (pause longer than the other long pauses combined) Actor.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I think most people gave up hating NC after KA:
    Not me, Bro.

I've only seen clips of it, but what I did see just made me dislike Cage even more. Only Nicolas Cage would take a part in a movie that required him to fire a pistol at a little girl. Never mind that she's meant to be wearing a bullet-proof vest; the image isn't bad ass, it's just plain bad.

9. Collapse Details
    haha. That movie isn't for you if you think that's a bad scene (the one where he shoots her).

(But the save scene above is 'badass' for those who love the movie.)

Maybe this will change your opinion about him (lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0i4vRcLGcg

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    William Shatner : Nick. Cage. Is. A. Very. Peculiar. (pause longer than the other long pauses combined) Actor.
    lol, Yes, Shatner has his mannerisms, too. But I always find them to be at least appropriate to the characters he plays. And at least he speaks in his own voice. The pauses could be seen to be advantages to a screen actor, I think. The audience doesn't have to try to translate quick jumbled speech. And unlike Cage, his emphases fit his words. With Cage, I have to repeat in my mind what he's just said, because the curious emphasis he has placed on it has given it an ambiguous sense. Ambiguity is a good thing sometimes, if it fits the character. But it's intrusive if it's applied randomly.

There are scenes in "Knowing" where he's addressing his class, and all I could think of was that his students must have trouble learning anything from him.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast