Thread: GH6 rumors

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    - The ability to record 1080p at a lower data rate. 100mb is nice, but there are lots of occasions when I simply do not need that kind data rate/file size for what I'm doing, like recording school spelling bees, long form youtube videos, corporate videos, yada. A 720p recording option wouldn't make me cry either.
    If you use MP4 or AVCHD video modes on the GH5, it will record 1080p at lower data rates -- I just did a client video in 1080p and shot it at in MP4 mode (not MP4 LPCM) at 30fps at 20 Mbps. The client was delighted with the result.

A super-quality 720p mode would be interesting, maybe trading resolution for a wider dynamic range? Or perhaps the ability to shoot 300fps at 720p?

Bob

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKo View Post
    If you use MP4 or AVCHD video modes on the GH5, it will record 1080p at lower data rates -- I just did a client video in 1080p and shot it at in MP4 mode (not MP4 LPCM) at 30fps at 20 Mbps. The client was delighted with the result.
    Bob
    Same here for weddings and corporate. They just don't want the file sizes or data rates of 4k, seem very happy with 1080p.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKo View Post

A super-quality 720p mode would be interesting, maybe trading resolution for a wider dynamic range? Or perhaps the ability to shoot 300fps at 720p?

Bob
    Sweet tip - thank ya brother!
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

4. Collapse Details
    Some news that came out after this thread was started :
    Despite Panasonic's claims two years ago that it was aiming to bring 8K to the masses by 2020, in time for the Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, the company is now targeting 2022 and the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing.

"Panasonic introduces the 8K digital camera to the 22nd Winter Olympics", reads the headline from Japanese daily Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun. Via machine translation:

"Panasonic is the prospect of the 2022 year, which will be held the Beijing Olympic Winter Games and Paralympic, and ultra-high-definition 8K video, and for the business consumer for a digital camera with a slow-motion playback function of the high-definition 4K (consumer) throw into."

That news should come as little surprise, following last month's reveal of the Panasonic Lumix S1H – the full-frame L-mount camera that features 6K video, which we suspect would have instead boasted 8K if Panasonic's tech was ready.

Indeed, successful deployment of 8K cameras for the consumer and prosumer markets is apparently proving a tricky one. There was anticipation that Sony would unveil its own 8K camera at CES in January, when it rolled out its wider 8K ecosystem, but this didn't materialize.
    https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...kon-until-2021

It looks like the first MFT 8K camera will be that Sharp 8K.

GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1946 View Post
    It looks like the first MFT 8K camera will be that Sharp 8K.
    Good for Sharp. I hope they are successful with this. The more MFT gear available the better.

6. Collapse Details
    Technically speaking, Panasonic is a global partner of the 2020 Olympics games ... but that excludes video gear.

Canon is a local "gold partner" but that seems to also exclude the video gear (but every photog will be shooting 1DX MKII there ... free of charge, including lenses, but also without any choice of tools).

Still, Canon is a dominating presence there, so others ceded the terrain.

Whether Canon itself will release an 8K camera is an issue that's currently unresolved.

7. Collapse Details
    Some dude posted on some other site that Sony has an 8K MFT sensor. Listed as surveillance but it's a Starvis.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Some dude posted on some other site that Sony has an 8K MFT sensor. Listed as surveillance but it's a Starvis.
    I also want higher resolution stills but shrinking the pixels on a m43 sensor is not the way to do that. I think we have reached a theoretical balance of 4.6k or 5.2k m43 sensor and going beyond that is not going to help at all in the areas people want to see in terms of quality. Dynamic range and sensitivity. 4k may be the limit for m43. Yes 5k and 6k are an option but that also hurts the chances of raw on these cameras someday. GH5s has the largest potential for no hassle external raw recording because the raw sensor puts out a perfect 1:1 DCI 4k or UHD image. Any larger sensor will either have to shoot a crop mode for 4k raw or deal with insanely larger raw files.

Would like 8k from a hey that's cool perspective but I would much rather them figure out how to enhance the s/n ratio, low light gathering and dynamic range of 5k to 6k on a m43 sensor before we chase more pixels that struggle.

9. Collapse Details
    Let's look at context. Samsung (working with Xiaomi bodies) has announced a 108 MPX sensor for smartphones. The Isocell Bright HMX is ~ 70 mm2, while an MFT is 225. So 41 MPX is nowhere near the pixel density of the smartphone latest.

And if smartphones can have 6K/8K, then it behooves the ILC's to, at least, be in the ballpark.

My take is that upping the pixel count makes MFT a far more capable stills camera than GH-4/5, especially if they can pixel shift into a 100 MPX range without much processing delay. This is where the MFT reach advantage over APS-C and FF will also play an important part. Combine that with 6K/8K video and you got yourself a jack-of-all-trades product that is also a master of those trades. It's a win-win for Panasonic and Olympus.

If/when it appears on store shelves.

10. Collapse Details
    I don't get why you focus on resolution.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast