Thread: GH6 rumors

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I guess my thinking is that the Panny has already pretty much maxed out what they can do with a MFT sized sensor, so my wish list is somewhat more humble....

- The GH5s sensor that's image stabilized. Honestly, if they changed nothing else but this, they'd get me to pick one up.

- The ability to record 1080p at a lower data rate. 100mb is nice, but there are lots of occasions when I simply do not need that kind data rate/file size for what I'm doing, like recording school spelling bees, long form youtube videos, corporate videos, yada. A 720p recording option wouldn't make me cry either.

Of course, I'm guessing that Panasonic could just give us a firmware upgrade for the GH5 that could do this too.

- Audio input options that go below -12 db. I love the pre-amp on the GH5, but it's actually a wee too hot for some mics (the Movo mini comes to mind).

- Changing the mic input & HDMI port to the opposite side of the camera. The flippy screen gets in the way of things a bit too much...

- Better battery life. While the GH5's battery life isn't bad, it ain't great either. Not sure they can squeeze anymore life out of the battery, but it would be nice of they could.

- I slighter bigger flippy screen. This one of more minor wishes, but If the rear screen was, somehow, a 1/2 inch to an inch bigger, it would help eliminate the need for a secondary monitor in many situations that currently require it (pulling focus by yourself for instance).

Things I don't care about:

- 6K/8K. Don't need it, particularly from a mirror-less hybrid camera.

- 4:4:4 color space. Same reason as 8K, seems like over-kill for a camera of this type.

- Global shutter. "Normal" people would rarely, if ever, notice the small about of jello the GH5 produces. The relative lack of jello actually remains shockingly good.

Things on the fence about:

- S35 sized sensor. Tell the truth, the GH5s sensor isn't all that much smaller then Canon's S35 sensor. S35 is my favorite sensor size, so in one way, I'd love the GH6 to have the size upgrade. But of course it would likely render some of my lenses - particularly my beloved Oly 12-40mm - either useless or mostly useless.

It also would probably change how we use anamorphic lenses....

- Dual ISO. Dual ISO is, in theory, awesome. In practice, it's a mixed bag. Presumably if my #1 wish, a slightly larger/1 stop better sensor as in the GH5s, is granted, dual ISO becomes less important.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

2. Collapse Details
    I agree with John here. The GH5s is nice already. Just build on it with IBIS, even more accurate color so the choice to use LOG is not as necessary, more DR and it is a buy to replace the GH5. That would do it outside of adding internal RAW video for me. But I guess that will be a generation or two away.

3. Collapse Details
    s35mm sensor upgradable to FF with a key???

LOL

Just scan a QA code purchased on a piece of card board and your sensor will magically grow before your eyes!

LOL LOL LOL

only way that would be possible is if the sensor is already FF and at launch the camera only uses a s35mm window and you have to pay extra to use the rest of the sensor. Sounds like an absolutely horrible marketing decision with no valid reason to do so other than to gouge people of money. Its not like the camera saves money by only using a cropped portion of the sensor when all the pixels are already there. Thats like walking into a restaurant and ordering a hamburger for $5 and the plate comes out with a bun on one side and the meat stuck inside a cage on the other side. You can only open the cage to put the meat on the bun if you pay the waiter another $5. If you don't, you need to eat the bun and shut up while watching the meat stuck inside the cage.

I'm pretty sure a camera cannot be a GH6 if it doesn't use a m43 sensor. It would have to be part of the S series of cameras. GH is a name reserved for the m43 cameras. What the heck kind of mount would be on a sensor like that?

This rumor is completely bogus.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Lol that burger comparison was the most oddly elaborate and unnecessary metaphor for why a GH camera wouldn’t have a software unlocked sensor size haha.

In any case this rumor is an FT2 rumor with the word unreliable in the title... the guy that owns 43rumors and lrumors, while he does get great first scoop rumors, is also notorious for posting a bunch of worthless 1/2 levels rumors and generally unneeded stories to keep clicks coming.

There have been rumors of an oversized S35 sensor with MFT mount floating around since before even the GH5 was announced, FWIW.

5. Collapse Details
    The only reason I moved away from the GH cameras was to get that sweet face-tracking Dual Pixel Auto Focus on the Canon cameras. If Panasonic adds this to the GH6, I'd happily go back to them, even if nothing else changes from the GH5.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Panasonic and DPAF...Keiretsu wouldn't allow that. lol, j/k.

They do already have face-tracking, but it just doesn't work well. (Or for extended periods of time with >99% accuracy.)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Panasonic and DPAF...Keiretsu wouldn't allow that. lol, j/k. ...

https://www.tamrazyan.com/smartphone...xel-autofocus/

8. Collapse Details
    ha, completely different world...you know better than that.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    ha, completely different world...you know better than that.
    Yes, so the question is whether it's patented by Canon and only sold by Canon for the smartphone production.

Or, as I think the case is, that different implementations of the DPAF exist, thus making it an off-the-shelf technology.

One man says this -
    Canon introduced phase detection dual pixel auto focus (DPAF) in 2013, with the EOS 70D camera, calling the technology “revolutionary.” Since then, DPAF has been a feature on most new camera models released by Canon, from the $10,000 EOS C300 cinema camera, to the pro-level EOS 1DX MarkII, to Canon’s mirrorless EOS M6, to the consumer EOS Rebel T7i. DPAF is also showing up in smart phone cameras by Samsung and others, and several of the big camera companies have filed patents for similar types of sensors.
    https://improvephotography.com/53668...meras-have-it/

But, of course, why have two, when four is better?

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-pate...o-focus-sensor

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    -Tilting EVF
    I have both a GH5 and a Panasonic GX8. The GH5 is a better video and photo camera, but the tilting EVF on the GX8 is an ergonomic wonder. If the GH6 was exactly like the GH5 but included a GX8-style tilting EVF, it would be a nice improvement.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast