Thread: GH6 rumors

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You mean a MFT version of the S1H ? Personally I too would like full Vlog and parameters showing all the time on the LCD like most camcorders. I have no need for IBIS though always on a tripod. I am sure they could do all I would like with a firmware update though so no need for a new model. I think it will be 6K or 8K with capabilities just like now when it eventually arrives. That will leave them the opportunity for an 8K update to the S1H line.

2. Collapse Details
    If you don't need IBIS then why not go the BlackMagic route, they have real color management.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I might have done that but already bought both GH5 and GH5S. Not worth the change now unless I go to 8K. I had also bought Resolve Studio too !

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    When it comes to the GH5s the European Broadcast Union review of the camera confirmed that the camera is losing more than 1 stop of dynamic range because of the limitations of Panasonic V-LOG L profile. Switching to the HLG profile added 1.5+ stops of DR in their tests. Revising the GH5s to include the full 16 stop V-LOG profile and giving it Panasonic IBIS would create a new MFT camera that many of us would buy : Better color, better DR, better low-light performance, lower FF crop...
    See my reply to Bassman. You say the same thing about nearly any feature you could dream of. With or without full V log the camera hit it out of the park, providing amazing value and exceeding the specs and capabilities of many of itís peers. There is always a limitation , there is always a compromise. Pick your poison. Take any camera out there, itís missing one thing or another. Black Magicís canít do stills... etc.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    We can talk feature crippling and price niches until cows come home but this cartel is in the process of being destroyed by the forces it can't control, i.e., the smartphone industry. There the advances are coming at a much faster rate than the Japan, Inc. is comfortable with.

As to what happened 20 years ago is irrelevant. People still used film, among other things, then. And that had different dominant players, Kodak, Fuji, AGFA, etc.
    What happened 20 years ago is highly relevant, it also challenges your thesis. We are living with and benefitting from the consequences of that market disruption- ďcartelsĒ be damned. Canon had no video cameras, no shirt in the game. They upset the apple cart big time. They innovated and started a new paradigm of cameras and markets. Sony had to compete and thus the decline in princes and increase in capability began in earnest. Interestingly enough Betaís decline appears to closely track with the decline of TV news (yay) viewership. A big market for Betacams.

Phones are only a fuller and contemporary expression of the same dynamic in the consumer stills space. Throwing in photographic film as a reference, is not germane to the discussion of Pro video cameras.

If it ever existed, the gig was up in the video camera end of things, 2 decades ago. Of course ďJapan INCĒ isnít comfortable with the speed of the phone cam market. Thatís my point, glad you agree :-). Competition comes in many forms, from other established players and new entrants to a market. Phones are just the Canon XL1ís of the late 90ís. First as still cameras, increasingly for motion imagery as well. Not much new under the sun.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hotchkiss View Post
    The notion that camera manufacturers are cynically trickling out features is an odd one. If you were to apply the same logic to your own business youíd be out of business in short order. Do you provide a Red package for the same price as a GH5 package? Do you throw in a drone for free, or a gimbal, or a sound tech? I hope not. Like any business, price and feature spec is a combination of market competition, cost, available tech and many subjective value considerations. Throw in currency fluctuation on top of it- yikes. The decisions to target specs and price is not made in vacuum.

Of course manufacturers consider feature specs according to the market. Just like I do. Just like you should if you want to stay in business. Why is there a different expectation for them versus you (or me) ?

That said, to imply that the GH5 or itís ilk was somehow knee-capped is a real tough sell. Thereís a temptation is to compare the previous generation of tech with the current or pending new tech. Not quite a fair comparison. Compared to itís peers, the GH5 is a value providing powerhouse imo.
    I was not speaking of giving things away for free. And I was speaking of the camera industry as a whole. The GH5 is actually counter trend. It has a history of listening and adding features that are very meaningful for its users. If you want an example of tricking out features then look no further than Canon. I wonder how my business would be if I ran it like Canon. That is a good study for business school but I have not purchased anything Canon since the 5DMKIII even though I want to if they offered more video features in their hybrids. Nor have I purchased a C-series camera. So their strategy is not working on me.

Imho, this has nothing to do with profitability anymore. The entire industry is going down in sales year after year, but they are saving features in hopes that I might buy an $8-15k camera sometime in the future? The C200 is a great camera. I assume that anybody who ever wanted a C-series camera would have jumped on it. And those who do own it might want a companion hybrid that could be used at the same level to some extent. But no, trickle, trickle, trickle with 8bit codecs cropped 4k. Basically the same stuff smart phones have without the process power and apps.

I am with DLD on this one. The smart phones are adding so much value that a lot of the need for most things images will have the complete perception of DIY instead of hiring somebody. Notice I said perception, but in the end, that is often reality. So this does have effect on ROI for us going forward. Makes me want to only purchase tools that REALLY help and improve my ability to do my work and create a product that is better than the phones. Kind of tough when the camera makers are giving you the same level 8bit etc... I know story is everything and it is about you, not the camera yada, yada, yada but it is also just plain bad investment to buy cameras that will are kind of obsolete now.

I fully expect the GH6 to be a great value, just as the S-series is.

7. Collapse Details
    Cell phones have really hit the consumer camera market both for stills and video. None of my family have a stills or video camera anymore. They all use their phones. Both daughters have iPhones and constantly take pictures and video to post what their kids are doing on Facebook. My 16 year old grandson has a OnePlus7 Pro that he is always taking photos with too because the camera is so good. His only other choice of camera is the GoPro. However none of them shoot theatre shows of two hours and make DVD's. That is a totally different task needing different tools. Small consumer cameras were never any good at that either. That market which may have been Betacams at great cost have now been replaced, in my case by two GH5's and a AX100 at a fraction of the cost of one Betacam and I believe all have better performance. We have to be careful we are not generalizing for all segments of the market because one has clearly been replaced with different products. Need to look at the task and what now is the preferred tool. For consumers it is the phone for sure, for photographic hobby I do not think much has changed lenses are still the key and cameras keep changing and bought, My hobby space of shooting amateur theatre tools have got better and cost less , I only just moved from camcorder to GH5's, both cost about the same as the Sony camcorders I used to use but I now have two of them, high end stuff will always use the best available and that market is still there, Indie film makers will use the lowest cost way of making their film and now that is likely BM Pocket or mirrorless, before was a consumer camcorder maybe. What has really changed ? For me I used to spend my hobby money on a new Sony camcorder of about $5000 every two years or so , would have two available at any time for multicam of different vintages. Starting with the VX3 I stayed with Sony until the AX1. For about the same I have two full kitted out GH5's waiting for an 8K camera to add to them. Shooting style has also changed with technology too. Moving from shooting to what is done in editing because we can. Is that why people want RAW ? If you have RAW and the ability to crop/pan/zoom the requirements for the camera change and shooting style and capabilities of the editing software change too. My family do all their editing in their phone and post. Another change.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    If you don't need IBIS then why not go the BlackMagic route, they have real color management.
    Because they can't really shoot stills and lots of people still like the concept of a true hybrid camera. That and the ability to get 10bit 4:2:2 at 150 mbps which is very small and visually better than BRAW 12:1.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    Because they can't really shoot stills and lots of people still like the concept of a true hybrid camera. That and the ability to get 10bit 4:2:2 at 150 mbps which is very small and visually better than BRAW 12:1.
    That's the first I've heard of a traditional compressed format giving any form of BRAW a run for it's money. Having no experience with BRAW myself, where does it fail the test?

10. Collapse Details
    I think 2020 will be the year of 8K resolution and we will see more consumer products offering 8K UHD (7680 ◊ 4320) image acquisition. Panasonic wants to release an 8K mirrorless camera in time for the Olympic Games in Tokyo and I think they will not be the only ones.
    https://www.cinema5d.com/autel-evo-i...onsumer-drone/

https://youtu.be/OY8EECvY0xI

GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtlšnder Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast