Thread: GH6 rumors

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    Well, if the rumor is true (and it likely is), then it's a bad sign as the Olympus E-M1 III will use the same 20MP sensor as in the E-M1X.

The E-M1X might have well been the most underwhelming camera of 2019, not even matching the older GH5 for video quality (at least according to DP Review) despite having an initial price tag of $3,000.

True, this might be due more to processing power and an emphasis on stills, but considering the camera isn't even a year old, I'm guessing the sensor was/is at least part of the issue.

In any event, it is another indication of stagnation in MFT, and this from the only company still dedicated to the format. While I hope the quality of the EM1-III is a notch higher and will give it the benefit of doubt, it's not the news I was hoping for.

This brings us around to the GH6. Assuming it comes out - and that is an assumption at this point - will it use existing sensor tech (perhaps even the same sensor as the E-M1 III), or will it be something new?

As Canon begins to up their game and Sony lies in wait, can Panasonic afford to recycle existing tech?

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-yes-the...#disqus_thread
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

2. Collapse Details
    I can't see any scenario where the GH6 uses an older sensor. Especially the GH5 sensor. The GH5s is not as challenged. I have to say, if the Fuji X-T4 has some game it will give the GH6 a run for its money. The X-T3 turned into quite a nice camera after all of the updates (as did the GH5). If Fuji makes an XLR audio adapter it will be a tough choice between the two. I am big on the audio adapter as it makes the camera a complete tool imho.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Generally speaking, Olympus and Panasonic split the MFT market between each other thusly - Olympus makes photocentric and Panasonic videocentric cameras. EM1 MKIII will have the pixel-shifting multiplier for its stills, likely to be as low as 50 (4 shots) and as high as 80 (16 shots). If EM1 MKIII can avoid image smearing for its 4-stack 50-MPX sequence - and this is all on the internal processing - it'll be a pretty nice, compact action/BiF toy (presuming it has a better auto focus ... or, speaking of BiF, it'll be a dead duck a la 1MX)

Hypothetically speaking, Panasonic can use the same sensor as GH-5 but with much better codecs, including some form of Raw. The rumors, however, had it with a Quad Bayer sensor.

4. Collapse Details
    At a camera/photography presentation today, I spoke to a Panasonic Lumix employee about the timeline for the GH6. He said that a MicroFourThirds camera and a full-frame camera would be introduced this year (2020), but the GH5's successor is expected next year (2021). He said that the GH6 (and he didn't blink at the GH6 nomenclature) requires an all-new processor than the one in the GH5, and it is taking time to develop and de-bug this processor.

He seemed honest and forthright enough, but it's still just rumors to me.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Probably don't want to step on Olympus's toes. EM1 MKIII just came out and should ship within a couple of weeks. 20 MPX for $1,800. Ho-hum.

6. Collapse Details
    So, here a non rumor (but I am linking to 43Rumors because that's where I read it), two Chinese companies (Yongnuo and Venus Optics) are joining the MFT alliance.

https://www.43rumors.com/yongnuo-med...tandard-group/

Does this mean bottom is about to fall out of the MFT market? Yongnuo made one barely usable camera but Laowa glass has a decent reputation. Without being a group member, the products have been manual. With the access to the electronic contacts, they'll surely strive for something more advanced.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post

Does this mean bottom is about to fall out of the MFT market?
    Are you predicting an abrupt end to the format, la T & C Northrup?

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    With the access to the electronic contacts, they'll surely strive for something more advanced.
    Have they produced many electronic lenses for other mounts ?

Many of these companies produce good performing all manual lenses and go after the low end of the lens market.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
    Are you predicting an abrupt end to the format, la T & C Northrup?
    No. New companies don't come on board to see the product disappear. However, the Chinese are very price driven and could undercut the Japanese members the same way Vizio and Hisense undercut not only the Japanese TV manufacturers but even the Koreans.

PS. I am sure many ere recall the days when Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, Hitachi, JVC and Mitsubishi dominated the CRT, then the Rear Projection, then the LCD and plasma TV production.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Have they produced many electronic lenses for other mounts ?
    Many or any? I looked at B&H and found none. But, being non-MFT members, they weren't licensed to manufacture them either and, had they gone gonzo, a simple firmware tweak could disable them.

Laowa lenses get decent reviews for their value. Would they be able to duplicate the auto-focus performance of their MFT competitors? It's kind of a low-hanging fruit, ain't it?

PS. As I'd mentioned in other threads, Olympus's Imaging Division is a money losing operation and Panasonic shuffles the financials for their imaging into one big pile with appliances. Could then the MFT transition from these two Japanese companies to the Chinese in exchange for the yuan going the other way in exchange for the intellectual assets? I'd say it's a possibility. The Chinese have been known to purchase the rights to the American and the Japanese brand names while shifting the production home to the PRC.

Yongnuo does make some AF lenses --

http://en.yongnuo.com.cn/enwww/article.php?id=5

10. Collapse Details
    I might be a signal that Oly/Panny is giving up on lower cost lenses. The new 12-45mm f4 from Olympus one of the more under-whelming recent lens releases in the format, especially given the $650 asking price. Despite its price, it's hardly a higher end lens regardless of its "pro" labeling.

Panasonic's 10-25mm a dream lens, but with a price to match. It was also likely started development before Panny decided to jump into full frame. Given the lack of glass for the S series and the plethora available for MFT, it's not too hard to imagine them concentrating on the former.

So I'd guess that we'll see an occasional high end lens from the big guys, ceding the lower end market to Yongnuo et al.

All in all, the more the merrier.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910