Thread: Chernobyl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Chernobyl
    Staggeringly good job. I've watched it twice now. The best production design I've seen in a TV show. Great acting, great writing and amazing attention to detail.

The fact the guy behind it has previous credits including, The Hangover Part 2 , Scary Movie 3 and Scary Movie 4 proves that there is hope for all of us. Bravo.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

2. Collapse Details
    Chernobyl is next up on my watch list. It looks fantastic. I just finished 'When they see us' and it was well executed and heart wrenching also. So much good content out there its hard to find the time these days.
    Frame Farm Media
    www.framefarmmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    If you've not (yet) seen this NewsShooter article (about a documentary filmed in the real location) it's worth a look - as background to the drama series.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/...-in-two-weeks/
    Last edited by andykwilkinson; 06-26-2019 at 05:31 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Totally agree. Also worth a watch is Sky's follow up shot after the series, uses bit of the Chernobyl series in the follow up. It's called "The Real Chernobyl." Great interviews with some of the 'real' people, the miners, the firemen and control room people and some of the victims of the disaster. Some pretty eerie current location footage throughout it. Interesting to see how nature is slowly reclaiming the city and surrounding countryside. If anyone wants it and can't find it on Sky I grabbed it so could upload it.

UPDATE. The version I have is the same one that's linked to in the Newsshooter link!

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    So I infer that none of you reads/speaks Russian nor has read/seen any reviews of the series in the native tongue of the historical figures of the event in question.

6. Collapse Details
    Well for those who do speak Russian they will undoubtedly have the opportunity to hear about it in the not to distant future seeing that the Russians are going to make a series telling the "truth" about Chernobyl as they put it.

https://www.voanews.com/europe/russi...clear-disaster

Some interesting comments on it all by Leonid Bershidsky in the Moscow Times.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/...ernobyl-a65821

Chris Young

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by FrameFarmMedia View Post
    I just finished 'When they see us'
    I'll look that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Totally agree. Also worth a watch is Sky's follow up shot after the series, uses bit of the Chernobyl series in the follow up. It's called "The Real Chernobyl." Great interviews with some of the 'real' people, the miners, the firemen and control room people and some of the victims of the disaster. Some pretty eerie current location footage throughout it.
    Yeah, saw that doc too. Good interviews and amazing to see the location. Thought they overdid the Ronin shots a bot though.

Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    So I infer that none of you reads/speaks Russian nor has read/seen any reviews of the series in the native tongue of the historical figures of the event in question.
    There’s a really good podcast on the series by a Russian who fact checks and gives local perspective and insight.

The doc mentioned earlier is in Russian, and includes interviews with lots of key people in the story.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Well for those who do speak Russian they will undoubtedly have the opportunity to hear about it in the not to distant future seeing that the Russians are going to make a series telling the "truth" about Chernobyl as they put it.

https://www.voanews.com/europe/russi...clear-disaster

Some interesting comments on it all by Leonid Bershidsky in the Moscow Times.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/...ernobyl-a65821

Chris Young
    This is getting a bit into politics by Bershidsky (a left-of-center Putin critic) but ... a typical Soviet citizen will notice these minor discrepancies much like us, military/WWII history buffs, noticed a Christie type suspension on what was supposed to be the Tiger tank in Saving Private Ryan (it was a mock-up around the T-54, a post-war Soviet tanks). To a typical Western/global viewer, that sort of stuff is irrelevant.

Now, the pro-Putin critics see it as the covert war by the CIA/US and they don't need to be told to say that. A Facebook friend living in that part of the world linked to a short piece written by a well known voiceover artist/translator Goblin (aka ex-Soviet police officer Comrade Puchkov) and it was filled with expletives. And not in a good way.

BTW, I was born not far from there, though left about a decade earlier.

9. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Well, they couldn't do a documentary re-creation, and they certainly took some dramatic licence for the sake of making it a "show", but some things they did get right - the physical aspect, as Liam mentioned production design, folks who lived through those times all agree that the various artifacts, clothes, furniture etc. were spot on - not surprising, as Mazin mentioned they bought originals, even original fabric from the 80's. But sure, there was quite a bit of fiction too invented to keep things dramatic, but it wasn't egregious to the point of falsifying history - as apparently the new Russian version is going to do (blaming CIA agents etc.).

The biggest problem for the Russians is the simplest one - why haven't they themselves made such a series before HBO did? They didn't because Putin's Russia does not disavow the USSR, or authoritarianism and would love to re-create the Soviet Empire (and are doing their best, including territorial designs on their former republics). These are often the same people - heck, Putin is straight from the Soviet KGB. They are sad at the demise of USSR. For sure they are not looking to re-create the economy of the USSR, but they are very happy to recreate the dictatorship and the empire and military might and place in the world. In that light, criticizing or finding fault with the Soviet handling of Chernobyl is like attacking your own father. They hate it. They would love to hide it all as much as the Soviets wanted to, but were unable to. And so, neither the Soviets nor the Russians did a TV series about Chernobyl, hoping to quietly let the world forget. That left the field open for the hated West to make such a TV show. And now the Russians must react - but of course, they will react with lies, as is their instinct, and naturally, to them there is no objective "truth", only a struggle of propaganda. They regard the HBO show as just propaganda, and they feel obliged to counter it with their own propaganda - truth doesn't enter into it, because they don't believe such a thing exists, only OUR propaganda (good) and THEIR propaganda (bad). So the Russian show might have some entertainment value to see just how comical and brazen the lies will be - I'll watch it for sure when it comes out.

Chernobyl is not a perfect show, but it's excellent. And it is amazing to me, that a show about a distant land and different culture and different time, should find so much resonance the world over. It was a very brave thing to do - there was no assurance that it would be a success either critically or more importantly financially. It was expensive, and it was a big gamble. All the people involved deserve a lot of credit for taking such a chance. It could have all been a big financial disaster with nobody interested in watching.

It was also a triumph of international cooperation. So much talent from different countries - including the director, who I thought was excellent (so rare to see good directing in TV).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    I’d also suggest listening to Scriptnotes, a podcast with Craig Maizin (creator, writer, EP of Chernobyl) and screenwriter John August. Lots of screenwriting gold in them episodes.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast