1. Collapse Details
    Using GH5 as a B-Cam to C200
    Hi, is anyone using the GH5 as a B-Cam to the C200? What’s your workflow/method for matching it to the C200? Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by npm View Post
    Hi, is anyone using the GH5 as a B-Cam to the C200? What’s your workflow/method for matching it to the C200? Thanks!
    I have not done it on a job for a paying client but messed around with doing so when I had a loaner from Panasonic. Here's what I will say, Panasonic color science is pretty different than Canons color science. Shoot chip charts for each setup and use V-Log L on the GH5 and I was able to get the closest using CLog 3 from Cinema RAW Light. But the GH5 had a lot more contrasty, saturated colors and I am not a talented colorist at all. Would probably be simple to match them for a good colorist. But you are fighting against the tide, M43 vs. S35 imager, probably Canon glass on the C200 and probably not Canon glass on the GH5? Clog 3 vs. V-Log L, Panasonic colors versus Canon colors? Honestly, if matching is important to you, I would shoot with a 1DX MKII or a 5D MKIV over a GH5.

Our B-camera is the XT-3 and it in no way matches the Canon and you know what? I don't care. I shot mixed media formats for years and I embrace it instead of fighting it. On our documentary, we've shot tons of Go Pros and none of them match at all. Hero 4, 5, 6 and 7 all seem to have different color science and often two of the same models, shooting identical settings next to each other will still not match. We shot RED Epic Dragon, C200, XF405, HPX270, C100, twelve Go Pros, iPhone, none of it matches. For a documentary, I don't really care if they match but if you are doing a corporate thing, I could see if using the GH5 for a B angle of the same interview, then you might want/need them to match. Good colorist will have better luck that us mere mortals at color matching. I can often get some of the primaries to match but skin tones and hair colors never seem to match from camera to camera.

Good luck.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by npm View Post
    If the project allows, it's much easier to get close to matching if you desaturate both cameras.

I shot this using a c200/sony a7s (can't remember if it was i or ii) and they're mortal enemies. It's not a perfect match but you get the idea - https://vimeo.com/253751353

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I have not done it on a job for a paying client but messed around with doing so when I had a loaner from Panasonic. Here's what I will say, Panasonic color science is pretty different than Canons color science. Shoot chip charts for each setup and use V-Log L on the GH5 and I was able to get the closest using CLog 3 from Cinema RAW Light. But the GH5 had a lot more contrasty, saturated colors and I am not a talented colorist at all. Would probably be simple to match them for a good colorist. But you are fighting against the tide, M43 vs. S35 imager, probably Canon glass on the C200 and probably not Canon glass on the GH5? Clog 3 vs. V-Log L, Panasonic colors versus Canon colors? Honestly, if matching is important to you, I would shoot with a 1DX MKII or a 5D MKIV over a GH5.

Our B-camera is the XT-3 and it in no way matches the Canon and you know what? I don't care. I shot mixed media formats for years and I embrace it instead of fighting it. On our documentary, we've shot tons of Go Pros and none of them match at all. Hero 4, 5, 6 and 7 all seem to have different color science and often two of the same models, shooting identical settings next to each other will still not match. We shot RED Epic Dragon, C200, XF405, HPX270, C100, twelve Go Pros, iPhone, none of it matches. For a documentary, I don't really care if they match but if you are doing a corporate thing, I could see if using the GH5 for a B angle of the same interview, then you might want/need them to match. Good colorist will have better luck that us mere mortals at color matching. I can often get some of the primaries to match but skin tones and hair colors never seem to match from camera to camera.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info! I agree that its not a big deal for doco projects, but for interviews I like it to not be too jarring when you cut angles. Actually, I am using a MB speedbooster ultra with all Canon/Sigma glass on the GH5, so maybe that will help align the looks a bit?

Thx again for the response.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    If the project allows, it's much easier to get close to matching if you desaturate both cameras.

I shot this using a c200/sony a7s (can't remember if it was i or ii) and they're mortal enemies. It's not a perfect match but you get the idea - https://vimeo.com/253751353
    Yeah as long as its close enough thats good for me! It seems like shooting log on both is the way to go.

6. Collapse Details
    I think we as videographers are the only ones stressing that cameras match exactly. As long as the difference isn't very jarring to the viewer, I don't think anyone cares.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by drummondb View Post
    I think we as videographers are the only ones stressing that cameras match exactly. As long as the difference isn't very jarring to the viewer, I don't think anyone cares.
    It's always just color and if one camera is a LOT sharper than the other. I used to cut from the 5D MKIII to the C100 and the difference in sharpness between the two was always jarring, even if the colors matched well.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.