Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    My biggest complaint about Apple's MacBook Pro drives is that they are soldered to the system board.
    THIS

I don't think people realize that once your laptop has some major motherboard mishap all your data is GONE forever. There is no recovery whatsoever.

Current MBP is basically a disposable machine with a very short lifespan ticking to fail on you at some point.

Just watch Louis Rossmann channel on yt, he will give you a very detailed description of all the problems inside MBP.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/videos

One of it is unprotected data bus connection next to the power connection on the motherboard meaning that a bit of humidity can totally fry your laptop.
    You could almost say that it's deliberately designed to fail which wouldn't surprise me a lot tbh.
    Last edited by alohype; 06-25-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    FS7 & other

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    OLED screen would be NICE, but article says LCD...
    I think the iPhone X OLED screen looks phenomeneal, and I haven't had any burn in issues or anything. But I've noticed a trend moving away from OLED in TV panels and VR headsets, etc. It might not be the next big thing, most of the murmurs I read seem to indicate a move back to LED/LCD. I think micro LED might be the true successor.

So for me, staying LCD is almost expected and no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    This resolution isn’t much higher than the existing MBP which is 2880x1800. Not enough to make the UI feel larger in any way.
    There were rumors of anywhere from 16"-16.5"... I am hoping for a larger screen with a minimal resolution bump. On my 15.4" retina I find the UI gets smaller than I'd like when at full resolution, and not enough real estate when I bump up the resolution to a medium setting. If the 16" model can keep the same maximum real estate without everything appearing so small, I think it would be a much more ideal ratio.

So for me, minimal extra pixels is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    Matte screen and Afterburner option please.
    Afterburner seems highly unlikely without an increased chassis size, unless it was a really scaled back version. I think that card is going to be a bit of a larger add on card, and likely require some decent thermal cooling.The nano-etched matte screen would be an awesome upgrade option (assuming it lives up to the hype, we won't know until Fall)... though I find a conservative price on it unlikely. Very curious to see what direction Apple takes with pricing these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Rounded corners and a notch for where the cameras take up screen real estate? ala iphoneX?
    I'm not sure how I feel about this on a pro desktop. No problem with it on my phone, but to me it's really different working with pro apps and standard menu bars if all of the sudden i have a notch. Now, if OS X had an always present menu bar recessed up into the space on either side of the notch, I'd like that. BUT - nuance - I'd be dissapointed if the increased real estate up to 16"+ was largely or partially dedicated to just a notched out menu bar space. If it's a full, say, 16.4" solid screen size bump with almost no bezels, and then an ADDITIONAL notch area above that with a dedicated OS X bar area that further increases screen real estate, cool. I'd also want OS X to be programmed to not pull full screen movies, games, apps into the notch. I don't want to preview my videos with a little black notch outset when working professionally, or deal with multiple full screen modes just to gain a few pixels.

But hey that's just me.

//////////

All in all, watching this one closely... may want to upgrade in December or January depending on taxes. 2014 MBP still going strong but it's due!
    Last edited by filmguy123; 06-25-2019 at 11:00 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alohype View Post
    I don't think people realize that once your laptop has some major motherboard mishap all your data is GONE forever. There is no recovery whatsoever.

Current MBP is basically a disposable machine with a very short lifespan ticking to fail on you at some point.
    Personally I think this is a little overstated. Yes, if you have a major motherboard mishap you lose your data, but it is 101 to have your data backed up any device - even more so any MOBILE device. This is a given, and if you are doing what you should be doing, really a non issue.

I don't think the MBP is anymore of a disposable device than most PC laptops today. Isolated SSD storage failures are extremely rare, relegating issues primarily to motherboard failures, screen failures, water/humidity damage, If you had any such issues on any laptop, PC or Mac, you are always faced with the question of repair VS buy new. Across the board, the Mac will cost more on this decision, but that is of course nothing new or noteworthy.

I don't think the "very short lifespan" comment is a statistically substantiated statement, but feel free to correct me if there is data backing this up relative to other laptops.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    2014 MBP still going strong but it's due!
    Same here! I have high hopes for this new model
    FS7 & other

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    If you had any such issues on any laptop, PC or Mac, you are always faced with the question of repair VS buy new.
    With Apple, repair means throw-away the non-functioning item and replace it with a new one. If this is your MBP motherboard you might have to pay 2/3 of the original cost to get it repaired.

If you took your MBP to an independent repair shop like the one that Louis Rossmann runs, he will try to repair or replace the non-functioning circuit on the motherboard, and you might end up paying him $100 for the repair, instead of paying Apple $1,500 to fix your MBP. ( Louis has so many horror stories of people that were quoted a repair cost of $1,000+ from Apple, where Louis was able to fix the Mac laptop for less than 1/10th of the Apple price )

But Apple plans on killing off independent Mac repairs by encrypting hardware functionality via the T2 chip, so a brand new replacement component won't work if the repair person doesn't have access to the Mac hardware authorization tools.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    With Apple, repair means throw-away the non-functioning item and replace it with a new one. If this is your MBP motherboard you might have to pay 2/3 of the original cost to get it repaired.
    Across the board, the Mac will cost more on this decision, but that is of course nothing new or noteworthy.
    Unless you purchase an entry level Macbook, the logic board repair (even from Apple's expensive 1st party repair) shouldn't be 2/3rds. Aren't they usually around $700-$1200? That breaks down if you are spending $4k-$6k on a computer and plan to upgrade every 5 years.

Statistically needed repairs happen years into a laptop ownership and are relegated these days to logic board, screen, or water/fall damage. These are always expensive repairs and, for the non accident damage, most commonly happen when a computer is far along in its life cycle. I'm saying it's a less nuanced issue than 10 years ago where you had a bunch of laptop modules likely to fail (cd-rom, batteries, physical hdds, etc.) and an all in one unit really limited repairability.

Really, I think boiled down the repairability and cost of the Macbook Pro is much less about a Mac being a "disposable ticking time bomb" and really just comes down to "Apple costs more across the board." They are two different issues IMO that get conflated and the nuance there is important.

(FWIW I am not a fan of Apple locking off repair ability in the way they are).

7. Collapse Details
    Unless you purchase an entry level Macbook, the logic board repair (even from Apple's expensive 1st party repair) shouldn't be 2/3rds. Aren't they usually around $700-$1200? That breaks down if you are spending $4k-$6k on a computer and plan to upgrade every 5 years.

Statistically needed repairs happen years into a laptop ownership and are relegated these days to logic board, screen, or water/fall damage. These are always expensive repairs and, for the non accident damage, most commonly happen when a computer is far along in its life cycle. I'm saying it's a less nuanced issue than 10 years ago where you had a bunch of laptop modules likely to fail (cd-rom, batteries, physical hdds, etc.) and an all in one unit really limited repairability.

Really, I think boiled down the repairability and cost of the Macbook Pro is much less about a Mac being a "disposable ticking time bomb" and really just comes down to "Apple costs more across the board." They are two different issues IMO that get conflated and the nuance there is important.

(FWIW I am not a fan of Apple locking off repair ability in the way they are).
    Well, did you watched videos of Louis Rossman? He and his team repair MBP's daily and it's what me and TheDingo said. What you're writing is what it should be but in reality, it isn't. The internal design is extremely flawed and goes against good design practices that all other companies do. Also Apple charges crazy amounts for simple repairs just to force you to buy new machine.

Besides that it seems that genius bar technicians have no idea what're they doing:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-...cbook-16511936
    FS7 & other

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alohype View Post
    The internal design is extremely flawed and goes against good design practices that all other companies do. Also Apple charges crazy amounts for simple repairs just to force you to buy new machine.
    What surprised me with Apple laptop design is that it looks like they've done very little to protect their computers from accidental water damage.

i.e. A little bit of coffee or pop spilled on the keyboard can easily disable the computer

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    What surprised me with Apple laptop design is that it looks like they've done very little to protect their computers from accidental water damage.

i.e. A little bit of coffee or pop spilled on the keyboard can easily disable the computer
    Exactly, as I wrote above seems like Apple do it deliberately so your machine will fail easily at your fault. Warranty does not cover water damage so it's easy money for them- you'll have to buy a new machine.
    Not even a little bit of coffee. People report that it can fail in slightly more humid conditions.
    FS7 & other

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Unless you purchase an entry level Macbook, the logic board repair (even from Apple's expensive 1st party repair) shouldn't be 2/3rds. Aren't they usually around $700-$1200?
    Here's a video of one of Louis Rossmann's repairs where a teenager was quoted $1,200 by Apple to repair his Macbook, and in less than 10 minutes Louis is able to repair the computer with a $9 part replacement...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast