Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rumored 16-Inch 3072x1920 Resolution MacBook Pro to Launch in September
    Apparently there is a good chance Apple will be releasing that 16" MacBook Pro later this year. The firm referenced in the Macrumors article below has significant display expertise and their analysts correctly predicted updates to the iPad Pro and Apple Watch months in advance.

In addition to the larger display, I'm hoping for a slightly thicker chassis that can accommodate an ethernet port with an optional upgrade to 10gbe like the Mac Mini.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/24...se-date-rumor/

2. Collapse Details
    Matte screen and Afterburner option please.

3. Collapse Details
    Rounded corners and a notch for where the cameras take up screen real estate? ala iphoneX?

This is sounding like it will possibly be an option on the 15.4" MBP, and not a whole new model.

Will be interesting if it is a new body. Some are saying it is an MacBook pro pro. The more pro version. MBP pro.
    Last edited by James0b57; 06-24-2019 at 07:52 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    OLED screen would be NICE, but article says LCD...

5. Collapse Details
    This resolution isn’t much higher than the existing MBP which is 2880x1800. That’s only about an extra 50 pixels on each side in terms of UI space. It really is the same DPI with just a little extra space with the reduced bezel. Not enough to make the UI feel larger in any way. The UI space is 1536 wide vs the 1440 wide of the 15”.

The 1920 scaled mode will be 1.6x retina vs the current 1.5x retina which will have little to no impact.

It’s cool they are doing this but I see little reason to dump perfectly good 15” models to rush out and get this unless it has a significant GPU upgrade like the rx580 and Vega 48 which I highly doubt.

6. Collapse Details
    So an MBP Pro would cost, what $12k fully loaded? $15K? My friend who is a graphic artist bought a fully loaded i9 MBP with the 4TB SSD and he paid around $8k. Seems like a lot of money for a laptop but he works on location on big shows like the Voice so it makes sense for him.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 06-25-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    I hope this will be a different design inside and outside compared to the current, extremely flawed, design.
    FS7 & other

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    The biggest problem I find with Apple products is the cost of their component upgrades. For example a 1TB SSD drive in both SATA and M.2 formats starts at about $100 right now, but Apple will be shipping their new Macbook with a 256 GB drive and will charge a small fortune to upgrade from this: NewEgg.com 1TB SSD Drives

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    The biggest problem I find with Apple products is the cost of their component upgrades. For example a 1TB SSD drive in both SATA and M.2 formats starts at about $100 right now, but Apple will be shipping their new Macbook with a 256 GB drive and will charge a small fortune to upgrade from this: NewEgg.com 1TB SSD Drives

Many of those are much lower end drives than those used by Apple. I think a fairer comparison that still makes Apples drives seem a bit pricy is OWC's new Aura Pro X2 line that comes with a 5 year warranty. It's plenty fast enough for me and with 3282MB/s read and 2488MB/s write speeds and the 1TB drive and the 2TB model are priced at costs $250 and $599 respectively. Apple is still charging way more than that but in the corporate world there is something to be said for one place to point your finger. Lots of large companies like MacBook Pro's because the don't have to tinker with them.

My biggest complaint about Apple's MacBook Pro drives is that they are soldered to the system board. We have a number of MacBook Pro systems but one of my current favorites is a 2012 non-Retina 15 model. It has 2 USB3 port and thunderbolt for those rare occasions when I might need it a Thunderbolt 1 port. We are probably going to replace the Superdrive with a second 4TB SSD and repurpose the system as mobile ingest workstation for DITs. The 2.5 SSDs we are looking are only 1/6 as fast and those Apple uses but they are are also 1/6 the price and we can swap them out whenever we want.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/...2013-2014-2015

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Many of those are much lower end drives than those used by Apple.
    Okay, let's compare the Crucial and Intel M.2 1TB drives that cost $100 US...

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD : Read Speed = 2000 MBps Write Speed = 1700 MBps

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe : Read Speed = 1800 MBps Write Speed = 1800 MBps

Will these be as fast as the Apple drives ? We won't know until the full spec is released by Apple, but you can always spend a little bit more ( $218 US and likely a lot less than what Apple will charge ) for a drive like this that comes with a 5 year warranty too...

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 : Read Speed = 3500 MBps Write Speed = 3300 MBps

So for $218 US we've got a faster drive than the OWC drive, and it also has a 5 year warranty. But Apple may have locked out non-Apple approved hardware with it's T2 security chip, so we might be forced to purchase all hardware upgrades through Apple whether we like it or not. I really hope that "Right to Repair" legislation makes it illegal for companies like Apple to force their customers to always go through them for repairs or upgrades. Sure you might void your Apple warranty, but at least you would have the choice to do so.
    Last edited by TheDingo; 06-25-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast