Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    A lot of the best movies I’ve seen in recent years haven’t been mega block busters. And I’ve usually discovered them after the fact, at home. (As the article states). And block busters in general have become more underwhelming, with just a couple great ones a year.

Long form TV storytelling has really taken off and showed what filmed entertainment can do. The best “movie” I’ve seen in the last decade would probably be Breaking Bad. I think one thing being rethought is the idea of a filmed piece of entertainment being 2 hours. Why? Because theaters. I’d actually argue it’s often not the best way to tell a really great story, and long form doesn’t cater to theater. Therefore theaters may actually be getting in the way of ideal storytelling, at least for some stories.

To be honest, I think the new Star Wars trilogy pacing and story would have fairer better as a 10-12 hour saga. Some movies would be better at 4 hours, if they didn’t have to worry about turn times and bladders.

Sure, plenty of content is perfect at 80-140 minutes - not the point - point is theater logistics actually limit what the ideal length, form and structure of filmed entertainment can be. TV logistics often times over stretch content, too, but I see the industry beginning to figure out the sweet spot with newer streaming and digital purchase models.

Looping back full circle to the first point - point is most of us watch the best content we’ve seen in the last 10 years at home, going to the theaters for big blockbusters that are more often mediocre, with only a few greats.
    Yep. There are a lot of movies that I would like to see given the “series treatment” and instead of being crammed into two hours, allowed to develop and breath over the course of five or 10.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Barry Diller was on CNBC a few days ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/07/1...tainment.html?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123