1. Collapse Details
    MTF Nikon to Varicam adapter
    Has anyone experienced this adapter from MTF? https://www.lensadaptor.com/nikon-pa...aricam-adaptor

I've been using a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro since it launched and the native Nikon mount has been nice since I shoot stills on Nikon and have a selection of Zeiss primes in F mount. Before I got the UMP I rented the Varicam LT a couple times and loved it but just could not afford it. With the recent price drops, and my G2 UMP still waiting to ship after two months, I'm thinking about jumping ship and going to the Varicam LT (even though it's still quite a bit more expensive all-in even after the price drop.) But I'm not sure I want to go back to putting a stack of F-EF adapters on my lenses.

2. Collapse Details
    I don’t see why I wouldn’t work. Pretty straightforward and swapping mounts on the VLT just takes a few seconds.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

3. Collapse Details
    I had MTF's B4 to EF and their EF to E-Mount and now have their B4 S16 optical to E-Mount and all did/do the job well. Well made, solid and 100% functional so I would image their Nikon to Varicam unit should be no exception. Back focus on the units turned out to be 100% correct which was my main concern when I went down that path originally.

Chris Young

4. Collapse Details
    I agree that the MTF adapters are well made and solid. I used their Nikon-FZ adapter for many years with no issues.
    Of course when using Nikon lenses, I tried to use the older Nikon lenses that had a real Iris ring - preferably de-clicked.
    The MTF adapters do allow you to adjust the iris on the Nikon 'G' lenses -- but work best when you set and stay with an iris opening rather than using the adapter to pull iris adjustments during a shot.
    (I did once rig a gear ring onto the MTF adapter to allow me to use a remote motor to make iris adjustments on a Nikon G lens. Though it did work, it was a bit of a FrankenRig!)

5. Collapse Details
    Main thing I was concerned about (other than just using a different mount on the Varicam LT) was slop on the lens side. I have some F to EF adapters that are just loose enough that the lens can wiggle when you rack focus quickly. The F mount on my ursa mini pro has a similar issue that I had to send it back for that's exacerbated by the iris ring as a little wiggle can actually change your iris setting if you aren't stopped down or wide open. Looks like on this one there's enough room to get at the lens's iris ring, but on the blackmagic mount the mount's iris ring makes it almost impossible to get at the lens ring. They tightened it up a good bit, but it's still not tight enough for one of my stiffer lenses.

6. Collapse Details
    Again, I can't speak for the MTF Nikon/Varicam adapter, but based on the quality of the other MTF Nikon adapters I've used, I'd say that if your lens is so stiff that it twists with focus changes in the MTF mount, it's probably time to get the lens re-lubricated.