Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NAS Raid or something better for less money/
    Been looking at a QNAP NAS raid for editing 4k.

Has its own processor and ram (sorta like a small computer for the raid)

But looking at 40tb (10tb of Seagate Ironwolf HHDs) with 1 tb of SSD for cache.

Read good reviews about the speed and other things.

All for about $2,500...

Any thoughts?

I figure shooting with Sony Fs5 and if I go to prores afterwards. About 10tb should equal my footage space.

Just have to get a set or Rokinons and some lights.

So any cutting costs without cutting speeds would be helpful? Normally I ask a friend’s son these things. But my friend’s son has enough on his mind with his dad being in the hospital right now and losing his mom 6 months ago too. So I don’t want to brother him right now.

2. Collapse Details
    Are you editing on a Mac or PC?
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

3. Collapse Details
    You need a NAS if more than one computer access your files at the same time. If you are only using one computer you are wasting money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    looking to replace my iMac with the new 2019 iMac... no other computer...

5. Collapse Details
    Qnap are great small servers but I probably wouldnt use it as an editing media server. If on gbit network it goes up to around 112MB/s.

6. Collapse Details
    You can definitely use QNAP models for video editing. Many of the latest models come with 10Gbe ports and Thunderbolt ports which make it easier to connect to a TB3 equipped Mac or PC. QNAP has been courting the editing market and FCPX users in particular for years and if you search their site you'll find a number useful articles.

Bob Zelin is a respected video integration engineer who has helped post houses and TV stations with SANs for decades switched to using QNAPs exclusively a few years ago. He uses QNAPs with some pretty high end customers so I'm pretty sure they will work for most of us. There is a link below to his site with his observations about QNAPs. If you google his name you'll find a few of the forums he posts where there is quite a bit of discussion and commentary. Of course you can also reach out to him directly through his site. Fair warning though, he's a crotchety old man who likes to offend as a way of saying hi.

While I've been looking at the 8 bay TVS-872XT, if you're only want to buy 4 bay model take a look at it's little brother the TVS-472XT. I'm not sure what performance you can expect to get with spinning hard drives but with SSDs the performance is quite good at above 1000 MBs. SSDs have some down in price so much that it makes sense for many to consider moving to SSDs. Both the TVS-472XT and TVS-872XT have 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports and a single 10Gbe port. Both units also have an open PCIE slot that can be used to add additional 10Gbe ports or if you're feeling really ambitious a 40Gbe port.

Another nice things about the QNAPs is they provide relatively affordable USB3.X and Thunderbolt expansion bays. These can be used to be used to easily expand the primary unit, making it simple to back up the primary SSD RAID to spinning media. Their Thunderbolt expansion bays are Thunderbolt 2 instead of Thunderbolt 3 but you can use an adapter or cable to connect a Thunderbolt NAS.

If you want to connect via 10Gbe on a system without the required port one option for Thunderbolt 3 equipped systems is the CalDigit Connect 10G. It only costs $150 and gives you a bus powered 10Gbe port when connected to a TB3 port on a PC or Mac.

There is also a review of Peter Wiggins did over at FCP.co of the TS-453BT3. It's a bit lower end the than the TVS-472XT I recommended above but he seemed to like it well enough. The TVS-472XT has the advantage of much faster write speeds and more expandability.

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/tvs-472xt

http://www.bobzelin.com/how-our-san-works

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/arti...ed-storage-nas

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Great great post Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Fair warning though, [Bob Zelin is] a crotchety old man who likes to offend as a way of saying hi.
    Note that the cranky stuff is almost all shtick. His insults are usually funny and always followed by solid advice. Bob's a generous, funny, smart guy who only talks about and recommends stuff he knows about.

Jim "will probably get a QNAP system later this Summer" Feeley
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryinCalifornia View Post
    But looking at 40tb (10tb of Seagate Ironwolf HHDs) with 1 tb of SSD for cache.
    I've spent 20+ years in content development working with a variety of Macs and PCs, and the number one drive that consistently failed over all other brands has been Seagate. ( the last drive I had that failed on me was a 6TB Segate enterprise drive, that was supplied by our IT department against my wishes. I wanted Western Digital RED NAS PRO drives, but IT cheaped out bought a set of Seagate enterprise drives instead )

The only drives I've been buying for the past 10 years has been Western Digital, and so far I have not had any WD drive fail on me.

9. Collapse Details
    I also had several Seagate discs gone bust over the years and so far WD has been very reliable. Currently running WD Red in my Qnap.

10. Collapse Details
    I've always had WD drives too..

Yes looking at the little brother the TVS-472XT-PT-4G with 2 FREE NVMe 500GB M.2 Bundle

So Samsung vs WD Blue SSD's?

Gee getting old... forgot who... but someone had the WD Blue 2tb SSD for $223 bucks each...

Going that route and thinking on that too... using proxies to do my cutting and then on or close to the final cut. Switch over the 4k files.

Just have to see if the place I've been talking to can get the SSDs for the above price. Since no one else is offering the 2 free NVMe's for cache. The unit itself is the same price and for 150 bucks they'll put it all together and make sure it all works so you have no issues when setting it up.

lol I've never had good luck putting computer stuff together. I guess its not in my skill set...
    Last edited by GaryinCalifornia; 06-27-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast