Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Love love love my QNAP (TVS-871T w/ 8x WD RED Pro). Had it running for almost 3 years now with up to 4 computers hooked up via Thunderbolt and 10G Ethernet. Very cost effective and plenty fast for 4K ProRes. Zelin is the guy you want to listen to.
    Last edited by Nate Haustein; 06-27-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Nate Haustein

PXW-FS5 / iMac i7 / FCPX

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
    Love love love my QNAP (TVS-871T w/ 8x WD RED Pro). Had it running for almost 3 years now with up to 4 computers hooked up via Thunderbolt and 10G Ethernet. Very cost effective and plenty fast for 4K ProRes. Zelin is the guy you want to listen to.
    I wonder if the QNAP TVS-872XT has replaced it since I see no TVS 871T listed...

The 872 has 8 bays and it too comes with the 1tb of ssd's for cache.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I've spent 20+ years in content development working with a variety of Macs and PCs, and the number one drive that consistently failed over all other brands has been Seagate. ( the last drive I had that failed on me was a 6TB Segate enterprise drive, that was supplied by our IT department against my wishes. I wanted Western Digital RED NAS PRO drives, but IT cheaped out bought a set of Seagate enterprise drives instead )

The only drives I've been buying for the past 10 years has been Western Digital, and so far I have not had any WD drive fail on me.
    I agree. When possible I choose HGST drives and drop back to WD RED when price is an issue. If it was me, I'd look at a FreeNAS Mini or build myself a FreeNAS server. I've been using their software on servers that I've built for years and nothing but good things to say. If you build one, use NVME drives for the cache or don't use a cache, you may not need it at all. Use a 10GBe to Thuderbolt adapter and direct connect with a crossover cable.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    You need a NAS if more than one computer access your files at the same time. If you are only using one computer you are wasting money.
    I went with a NAS (Synology) as it was actually a bit cheaper than going with any of the decent RAID DASes... but also because I wanted to put it in a closet as far from my desk as possible as I canít stand the rumble of spinning drives anymore. Canít do that with Thunderbolt. Getting 500mb/s via 10GbE over Cat 5e cables. Which is as fast as my USB-C connected SSD drive. Seems like itís slower when copying smaller files though. Should have gone with an SSD cache drive instead of 6 HDDs maybe.

Iím hoping to be able to also put files for client downloads etc on it once Iíve figured out how thatís done. And have put all the videos Iíve made on it and can now watch them on my Apple TV without having to turn on a computer.

Itís been a bit of work and itís not using native Mac file system, which is at times annoying. And in my case it was a bit of a fiddle getting 10GbE going.

If you are just one person and donít mind the noise of HDDs close by Iíd say a Pegasus RAID or something that can be formatted in a Mac format will give you both less grief and better performance though.
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I agree. When possible I choose HGST drives and drop back to WD RED when price is an issue.
    Western Digital bought HGST and seems to be rebranding lines that were HGST as Western Digital. The 14TB Ultrastar is not HGST anymore but Western Digital. I'm hoping it's still made in the same facilities that manufactured HGST drives. It's also impossible to find new 10TB HGST drives anymore. I think they've stopped shipping them.

6. Collapse Details
    lol can’t find the link now.

But in a review of the QNAP...

The person said if you go the SSD’s route then you don’t need the SSD cache like the system I’m looking at..

Then my guess just get a QNAP that you only add SSD’s too.

Anyone heard of this.

If so. Then it’d make more sense to just get one with 6 slots for SSD’s and not the one I’m looking where you use the
    SSD’s for cache.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12