Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    multi camera: GH4 or GH5 ?
    I have a GH4 - love it, works great, not seeing a need to upgrade it....

weird thought: If I bought another GH4, I could do multi camera, and match almost perfectly with no effort.
    Already got lenses set that matches, would save money over a GH5

Of course, GH5 IS better, but it doesn't match as well - i color grade anyway, is twice the price,

Does it sound like matching GH4 on the cheap is a great idea or stupid? Feedback?

(been looking at BMPK4K also, but GH4 makes more sense matching wise, and financially)

2. Collapse Details
    I'd wonder if you got the GH5, would you then dislike the GH4 and feel compelled to get another GH5. It could be a self-inflicted trap.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Indeed, I got the GH5 and was using a GH4 as a second cam for a while. It soon turned into a second GH5.

4. Collapse Details
    Gah! See, I'm trying to stay in GH4 4k image level -- I know the GH5 is even "More better" but satying with 4, I keep a just slightly softer image. And save money since I dont make a dime in this hobby. Yeah I bet the 5 would turn me off of the 4

5. Collapse Details
    Well, yes...And no. I hung onto my GH4 even after getting a G85 and GH5. I still pick up the GH4 for some projects. I use the NATURAL profile on both GH's (gave up on Cinelike D and V - Contrast and image tone variations turned me off) and I get pretty much what I want with them.

If you still like what the GH4 does, then pick up another and later on when the next GH geewhiz comes out sell them for what you can get and pick up a pair of GH5's then.

6. Collapse Details
    Bruce, it's such an awkward debate for myself: I might have a multi-cam shoot coming up... REALLY want to upgrade to newest tech like BMP4K for more DR and similar gear setup, but if I REALLY want make this look perfect, gotta use same cameras. I mean, I BET I could match the footage well in grading (going P4K), but still back of my mind telling me same camera is best. I can afford it fine, but not prone to tossing money into things that have zero payback (other than fun!, which is completely different)

pondering the S1H also

7. Collapse Details
    I have 2 GH2 for that reason, good enough for the hobby stuff I do. If I upgrade then I'll have to compare something newer and "better" and will eventually want two of the newer and "better". Unless the GH5 gives you something that you are missing (including increasing profit), then I'd go with a second GH4 at the much reduced cost. But that is just me and my needs, analyse your needs vs. your desires.

8. Collapse Details
    I still think the GH4 is a great camera as long as you use it to its strengths. Don't try to shoot flat with a custom CineD profile or use v-log with internal recording and it is still la solid 4k camera. Shooting with a profile like Natural delivers very good colors and the 100mbps 8bit format is very good for what it is as long as you don't push it too hard. As cool as 10bit is if you don't shoot log or push grading very hard you likely won't see much of a visual difference between the two.

If I ever upgrade to a GH5 it will strictly be to have IBIS, less crop with the full sensor, 10bit for internal vlog, preview of display luts and 4k 60p.

In some ways I prefer the OLPF on the GH4 for video and the 1:1 4k ratio we have to shoot with. I absolutely hate scaling artifacts and moire and aliasing caused by a lack of OLPF. One reason why I prefer the GH5s in many ways over the GH5. I also shoot stills however and the GH5s kind of sucks for that so I'm sticking with the GH4 for now. Gives me a decent crop factor for 1:1 4k video with a proper video OLPF and provides decent stills resolution. Would love to see an updated GH4s that keeps the 16MP sensor and adds internal 10bit with dual native ISO but I doubt that will ever happen.

9. Collapse Details
    I would get a GH4 to go with my GH5 except that it stops recording after 1/2 hour.

10. Collapse Details
    The XLR attachment was my favorite feature of the GH5, was a GH4 YAGH user for a bit, makes me cringe just to think about it. Also I had to deliver footage in HD often and the GH4 was prone to moire in HD in my experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast