Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Not sure which cards you have, but just FYI that old P2 cards may only work for 1080p (if that). expressP2 are the newer ones.

But yea...definitely don't need an extra $10K+ to use the camera even if you just bought the body and had nothing else.
    Of course my price-out is higher than their's was likely to be, because I included the PL adapter and a minimum of five P2E cards(my personal minimum). But if you had nothing but the body(the $10K special that's going on), you're not shooting anything. At the very least, you would want to go with something like a Zacuto EVF, so not $5400 like the Panasonic, but still about $2K plus cables. Several hundred minimum for a shoulder mount, if you don't go with Panasonics(which I'm not a huge fan of, anyway). I'd budget at least $1K for batteries and charger(on the low side). Several thousand for some P2E cards(least expensive is $1150 for a single 256GB), unless you stick to the resolutions, frame rates and codecs that an original P2 card can handle, you can pick-up a 60GB P2 for $495/each. If you're shooting on the shoulder and you don't have an ENG type lens, you're going to want some type of handle/grip(not top handle), even if you don't get the Panasonic control handle, so at least several hundred more for that. I could go on...

Anyway, my point was that it's never "just $10K"... Even if it's not gonna be "another $10K", it's not ready to shoot out of the box at $10K, unless you have all of that stuff just laying around. Even for someone like me who has a ton of support, it was still going to be a lot more to get the camera in ready-to-shoot condition, that met my requirements.

As someone who bought three VariCam's brand new(and still owns all of them), including two P2 versions, I think it's the cost of the new P2E media that gives a lot of people pause. Thankfully Sony(oddly enough) gave us a fully supported, cost effective solution to their (overly priced) SxS cards for the F55/5, via Sony XQD cards inside Sony SxS adapters.

2. Collapse Details
    You know the deal...just depends on the person.

Personally, I would skip the EVF and any support gear besides the tripod/monopod I already owned and would purchase the following:

2 batteries and a charger - $638.75 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0a_a_b_mt.html

1 P2 card (transfer in the field on a MBP) - $1150 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mory_card.html

Sigma 18-35mm (for 90% of my work) - $699 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._8_dc_hsm.html

My only concern would be power and I might have to get a third battery just to be safe...so $150 or so for an extra gold mount brick. I obviously also want some other lenses but they shouldn't be included in the price because then what's justifiable? I included one in the bundle because you need at least one.

Total cost of my package (without the third battery) including the camera: $12,482.75

___

Obviously we are at extreme ends of the spectrum, and I'm just showing a different perspective for someone who may only need the bare essentials.

I am familiar with your personal preference for shoulder-mounted systems with very good EVFs (and everything else), so the way I work would be completely impossible for you nor would you even want to entertain this approach, and vice versa.

___

Again, just totally want to make it clear that I of course understand many people do not have the time and/or luxury to charge batteries or dump footage, but I (and thousands of others like myself) do. So this is just another POV.

3. Collapse Details
    Forgot the card reader, ha.

So I'd add that too if the camera couldn't be used as one (IDK).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    Well, I know how we always try to imagine what the risks could be, and how it would play out... but in case you didn't check out the link to reviews on the seller earlier in this thread (here), here is a negative review that details a very plausible scenario of how a scam and/or poor service can bite you:

SCAM SCAM SCAM!
    "HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! Ordered a camera on eBay. Stated it was in stock. The next day I received a tracking number stating it had been shipped overnight. 4 days went by and still didn't receive the item. Tracking still show that a label had only been created and nothing dropped off. I call the company only to be told that they are out of stock and that they won't get anymore in for roughly 4 more weeks. I try to cancel the transaction on eBay but because they have uploaded a tracking number already, I cannot cancel now. Even though it hasn't actually been shipped. I then tell them I want to cancel my transaction and they need to approve it. They then tell me they are going to charge me a 20% cancellation fee which is almost $400!!!!! They sold me an item that wasn't in stock. Uploaded false tracking to prevent cancellations. Then try to steal $400 of my money to approve the cancellation! I am now having to get eBay involved and dispute it with my bank. This is ridiculous!!!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!!!! They sell stuff on eBay, Amazon, Overstock, and tons of other online markets."

Take it for what you will. But, if you do go for it, make sure you have a clear understanding of their return policies (and please, btw, follow up here with your experience for posterity!). Good luck!!!
    We deal with various grey market companies all the time. When things go south on one of these sales people contact us not knowing that theyíve been screwed by someone we donít deal with. When I say buyer beware, itís because of stuff like this complaint. I hear this way too often. Really, if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

5. Collapse Details
    If you buy on Ebay - the products will be variable, you get minimal warranty, if any, and it's a gamble. My own rule on such purchases is simple - I only buy when I can afford to lose the money worst case. Most have been successful, but once I get to say two grand, then Ebay is a bad place to buy expensive kit.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    If you buy on Ebay - the products will be variable, you get minimal warranty, if any, and it's a gamble. My own rule on such purchases is simple - I only buy when I can afford to lose the money worst case. Most have been successful, but once I get to say two grand, then Ebay is a bad place to buy expensive kit.
    I once bought a Gallardo on eBay. For about $6,000 new. I am pretty sure it had bike parts inside.

7. Collapse Details
    Well, well. Amazon is ruled to be responsible for the third party listings. At least, in PA.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...173049089.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234