Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How are these lenses w/speed boosters?
    Question
    For my smaller camera setup (APS-C / Super35 sensor), I've been using a set of primes since day one.
    Now I'm being put in situations where I need a fast zoom lens (Mainly for festivals/events)

I've been considering:
    Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 (possibly)
    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
    Sigma 24-105mm f/4.0

Since these are full frame lenses, and I would be using a smaller sensor, I thought about getting a speed booster.
    Will get me about a stop more and give me a better focal length.

Does anyone know if these lenses would work fine with a Speed Booster on a Sony E-Mount body?
    *70% video/30% photo

Also, which speed booster brand do you recommend?
    Last edited by DDirector; 06-18-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Michael Frymus
    Cinematographer || Gaffer || Travel Photographer

Instagram (Photography)
    Instagram (BTS Videos)
    Website

2. Collapse Details
    They all should work, but research/google just in case.

Also, SBs have gone through many years/generations...some allow more light and some provide a wider focal length. Some have better coatings. And of course the older ones are now cheaper.

Metabones is also now not the only company that makes them, but probably still the best.

https://metabones.com/products/?c=e-mount

3. Collapse Details
    Have been using the 24-70 and the 24-105 for a couple of years now on a Sony FS7 with a Metabones Speed Booster Ultra and have been more than happy with the combinations for interviews etc. The 24-105 is very close to parfocal so is a quick lens to adjust to keep in focus when you change shot size. Unlike my f4.0 Sony 18-110 this combo of lenses gives you f2.0 on the 24-70 and f2.8 on the 24-105 when combined with a Speed Booster. Good when you require the extra glass speed.

Chris Young

4. Collapse Details
    Speedboosters are OK (I own two) but good native lenses are often better. I'd suggest the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 if you're adamant about going for a zoom.
    But even more: if you've already got good E-mount APS-C primes, maybe a second body is cheaper and better than a zoom... (two a6500 bodies, one with Sigma 16mm f/1.4 on a gimbal, and one with Sigma 56mm f/1.4 hanging from your neck, should work reasonably well)

5. Collapse Details
    Awesome, thanks guys.
    I looked up on the metabones site for info on these lenses but didn't see much.

@Samuel H, unfortunately that 18-35 range isn't enough for me.
    I often shoot around 24-50mm. But would like more flexibility. Which is why I'm considering the 24-105 (16-75 eq).

Is the 24-105 that much of a difference compared to the 24-70?

I shoot a lot of festivals so the f/2.0 is the most ideal, but I could be fine with f2.8 if the range of the 24-105 is much more noticable than the 24-70. I'll have to play around with the two to compare
    Michael Frymus

Instagram (Photography)
    Instagram (BTS Videos)
    Website

6. Collapse Details
    Do you need an auto focus lens? You'll lose AF with some focal reducers or at least experience diminished performance. B&H has Vello focal reducers on sale, but they haven't received positive reviews.

I read that the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8's AF performs well in video, but I don't have first hand experience.

The Sony 18-105mm f/4 would probably give the smoothest results, as it has a zoom rocker.

7. Collapse Details
    This is a total aside, but also keep in mind that Sigmas are usually a bit heavier than their Canon L series counterparts. It may or may not be a factor for you and your setup, but if it is, it may be worth the price difference. (I have 2 Sigmas that I absolutely love, so I'm not knocking them... but they are relatively beastly).

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    The Sony 18-105mm f/4 would probably give the smoothest results, as it has a zoom rocker.
    Tried it, and it was not good. f/4 is way too dark. I need 2.8 or faster for all of my work, incl. festival shooting
    Which is why Im looking for a FF lens and considering a speed booster.

Do I need autofocus?
    Um... It would be nice to have it working. Or at least be able to focus on the subject before I record.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanik View Post
    This is a total aside, but also keep in mind that Sigmas are usually a bit heavier than their Canon L series counterparts. It may or may not be a factor for you and your setup, but if it is, it may be worth the price difference. (I have 2 Sigmas that I absolutely love, so I'm not knocking them... but they are relatively beastly).
    Actually, prefer to get a heavier setup as I'm shooting handheld. Even when shooting on a larger camera like a RED
    Michael Frymus

Instagram (Photography)
    Instagram (BTS Videos)
    Website

9. Collapse Details
    You should maybe also look into the Sigma 50-100mm if you're looking for speed and reach and a bit more weight is a plus.

Might be a good lens to have in the bag along with a different wider option.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DDirector View Post
    Is the 24-105 that much of a difference compared to the 24-70?

I shoot a lot of festivals so the f/2.0 is the most ideal, but I could be fine with f2.8 if the range of the 24-105 is much more noticable than the 24-70. I'll have to play around with the two to compare
    I find I'm using the 24-105 (2.8 with the MB Speed Booster) at about a 7:1 ratio versus the 24-70 boosted to f2.0. For most run around jobs I find the nearly 4.4 x range on the 24-105 considerably more useful than the 2.9 x of the 24-70. Also at the longer end of the 24-105 at the boosted f2.8 it is not too dissimilar in aesthetics to the 24-70 at 70mm at f2.0. I'm using Nikon mount lenses as I really want manual iris and I have that using any manual or auto Nikon mount lenses as the Metabones Nikon to E-Mount has its own clickless iris ring. Obviously no stabilization but then never having had it on film, tube or 2/3" ENG cameras I never felt that stabilization was an absolute necessity for my shooting unlike many younger shooters now who have grown up with it. Both lenses have a place but if I have to go out with just one bit of glass it would be the 24-105. As you say it's best to (suck it and see!) try them out yourself.

Chris Young

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast