Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post

...the XA-10, which I've always thought is pretty close to my ideal.

Don't fixate on its details. To make it perfect, I would like the lens interchangeable, the viewfinder moved up or removable so that you could fit a Sony L-series battery, the body made out of metal. USB-C for power. Uncompressed RAW to CFexpress. Global Shutter. $2000-$3000?
    It is a good way to shoot. Definitely not for every situation, but no camera really is. For me, i find it fatiguing for longer work days, but fine for bursts, or projects where i am dictating when to roll and what to capture.

Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    That may be true. The frankenrigs with their dangly cables scare me away, but perhaps there is a tasteful combination of accessories that would turn a DSLR into something close enough to my ideal.
    The idea is to get away from the poor i/o’s on dslr bodies. Micro hdmi sticking out the operator’s side is a laughable joke. Only tolerated because we have maintained for the last decade that a dslr is a hack and not a “real” tool. Meanwhile the dslr form has all but taken over.

Manufacturers and camera people haven’t taken a serious look at dslr body style yet. Maybe we aren’t there yet tech wise, maybe we just won’t pay the extra $$$ to have it.

2. Collapse Details
    Every single professional has incorporated a dslr style camera into their workflow at some point. If they could be an A-Cam, they would be. However, their i/o interface and some controls are stills photography based. Hybrid cameras are not a final solution either. There has to be a video first dslr style body for it to work.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Every single professional has incorporated a dslr style camera into their workflow at some point. If they could be an A-Cam, they would be. However, their i/o interface and some controls are stills photography based. Hybrid cameras are not a final solution either. There has to be a video first dslr style body for it to work.
    With 3D printing someone could take a DSLR apart and reinstall into a custom 3D printed body, with 100% new controls too (buttons are easy, the dials can be reverse engineered). A bit of work with unlimited possibilities.

Sony built what seemed like a good improvement over DSLRs for interchangeable lens cameras:

VG900 was full frame:

However they crippled the image quality. If Sony put A7S III level specs (+ Venice color) into a camera with that form factor- would it sell well today?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Custom rehousing cameras may be the way to go.

5. Collapse Details
    When designing a camera, you have to ask one question before considering too many other factors:

Is an EVF essential?

If “NO”, then you can do what ever you want. If “YES, an EVF is essential”, then you have to consider how the camera will feel and operate when using the EVF.

A camcorder with an interchangeable lens mount is front heavy. A dslr shape has far more appropriate balance.

A handycam only works with tiny light weight lenses. A dslr can accomodate more types of lenses before it gets out of whack.
    Last edited by James0b57; 06-22-2019 at 01:52 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    "a video first dslr style body"
    aka BMPCC

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    "a video first dslr style body"
    aka BMPCC
    Bahahaha!

They took everything wrong with DSLR’s and amplified all of the mistakes! The BMPCC cameras (both the HD and 4K) are the worst examples.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Follows your definition. Sorry.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo66 View Post
    Follows your definition. Sorry.
    Think about all the things we HATE about DSLR’s....

- hdmi and 3.5mm connections
    - video and audio cables sticking out the side
    - fixed dim screen on the back
    - pinky hanging off the grip
    - bad battery life
    - need for a cage or other add-ons to operate

The BMPCC’s have ALL of those flaws

Now, think about what we LOVE about DSLR’s...
    - intergrated low profile yet high quality evf
    On larger pro dslr bodies:
    - usable battery life
    - full size comfortable grip
    - room for better i/o connections
    - intuitive button layout that is built on each companies long history

...the BMPCC’s have NONE of those.

Black magic is a camera in a box. They give raw options on a budget, that is about it. They bring nothing in ergonomics except simple menus. Black Magic did not improve on the DSLR, they made a camera in a box.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    A camcorder with an interchangeable lens mount is front heavy
    Can you elaborate?

I was imagining the grip on both a DSLR and a handicam ends right before the lens mount. Are you thinking of an add-on handle on a DSLR that goes from the body, alongside the lens, on the right side? Or maybe you're just talking about holding the lens with one hand or the other.

If you're right, then I'm happy to discard my dream of a handicam with interchangeable lens and just try to find the right DSLR.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast