Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    You are talking about options and possibilities. No camera manufacturer has made an essential camera design yet.
    That's because, in the digital era, there was a great deal of divergence in the deployment of cameras. ENG vs. YouTube /Vlogging vs. cinematic/narrative vs. corporate/interview, etc. There's still divergence but, instead of four to six different type cameras, you ought to be able to get by with a couple.

Plus, built-in wireless, including audio, auto focus, etc, internal SSD's, etc. can make the camera itself light and the external rigging mostly unnecessary.

2. Collapse Details
    Some nice information about the E2 from Erik:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/...nds-on-review/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    They just got started with quantum computers. Moore's law is just about to blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by davedv View Post
    Regarding Moore's Law, there is a growing realization in the semi-conductor industry that Moore's Law is coming to an end:
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...dead-now-what/
    https://www.cnet.com/news/moores-law...s-at-ces-2019/

The technical version of the law, which is that the number of transistors in an integrated circuit doubles every 24 months, seems to have already slowed. There have been increasing challenges in switching to smaller production processes, and everyone kind of expected that the laws of physics would bring about the end of Moore's Law at some point. Even Gordon Moore himself said in 2015 that he didn't see Moore's Law surviving the next decade.

The more colloquial version of Moore's Law, that computing power will continue to grow at an exponential rate, may also be in trouble. You might imagine that even though the increases in transistor density have slowed down, the semi-conductor manufacturers would find new and creative ways to increase computing power. But so far this hasn't really happened. Intel and others have struggled to keep producing new processors that are significantly faster than their predecessors. Sure, they might add more processing cores, but the amount of compute power in each core has not been increasing very quickly.

So, from this perspective, it's not that Moore's law has caught up with our camera desires. Instead, the end of Moore's law has made it difficult for camera makers to give us the same kind of dramatic, year-over-year performance improvements that we've enjoyed since the start of digital imaging.

I don't think we've fully felt the effects of the end of Moore's Law yet, but it's going to have a pretty broad impact across a lot of different fields.
    Fiske | Film - Orange County Wedding Videographer
    5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

4. Collapse Details
    [QUOTE=NorBro;1986793008]
    JVC is simply reaching out and asking for people to help.

This is what we should want.
    --
    Yes!

--

5. Collapse Details
    It also seems to me that JVC has less product near this segment to protect.

6. Collapse Details
    What do y'all think of the ergonomics of the GH5? With its flip-out screen and XLR adapter, it's about as good as a DSLR can be, in my limited imagination.

Sure, I would prefer certain improvements internally (global shutter, RAW recording, less resolution, even longer battery life) but on the outside, what more can you do?

Shoulder cams are a valid choice, and I totally understand their attraction: good balance with large lenses, that awesome slot for a wireless receiver, etc. But for those who are interested in the DSLR body style, I'm curious what shortcomings they still see in the GH5.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 06-18-2019 at 09:28 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    What do y'all think of the ergonomics of the GH5? With its flip-out screen and XLR adapter, it's about as good as a DSLR can be, in my limited imagination.

Sure I would prefer certain improvements internally (global shutter, RAW recording, less resolution, even longer battery life) but on the outside, what more can you do?

Shoulder cams are a valid choice, and I totally understand their attraction: good balance with any kind of serious lens, that awesome slot for a wireless receiver, etc. But for those who are interested in the DSLR body style, I'm curious what shortcomings they still see in the GH5.
    As far as ergonomics, all mirrorless cameras have terrible ergonomics for shooting video. They work but the ergonomics are conceived for stills shooting, which is all wrong for video. To shoot a mirrorless handheld, you need to put it in a cage and hang a bunch of gak all over it. That is not ergonomically sound, but it's a hack that can work for some. I do it and can shoot well with my XT-3 but the rig now weighs about 8lbs to make it work for usable handheld. If the camera is too light, you get micro jitters, which looks terrible, you need mass and weight, which is kind of dumb when you think about it, buy a tiny camera because it's small and light, then add a ton of gak to make it big and heavy again.

Personally I think the GH5 is a great camera, the IBIS is handy, great specs, fairly easy to shoot with. But the XT-3 has better color science and more internal high quality recording options, plus the APS-C/S35 imager that most prefer over M43. While the GH5 can use a lot more lenses than the Fujifilm, I like the Fujinon XF lenses a lot more than most of the Native M43 lens offerings. And the XT-3 AF is better too. But that's just me, I could be 99% as happy with the GH5.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 06-18-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    In the GH5's case the main shortcomings are bad AF, a small sensor, and questionable color science. If those are irrelevant for someone then it's pretty much the perfect camera besides making it a bit better with some additions like you mentioned and others (internal 10-bit 60p and more dynamic range).

Someone on here also mentioned it would be ideal to have V-Log and not V-Log L.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    It's not the Moore Law
    If you prefer a stripped down camera, then Moore is less, more or less???

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    As far as ergonomics, all mirrorless cameras have terrible ergonomics for shooting video. They work but the ergonomics are conceived for stills shooting, which is all wrong for video...
    Which opens another can of worms. Why aren't the video geared hybrids - GH-series, S1, A7S/II, XT-3 - built as video cameras, especially since most of the aforementioned companies make camcorders as well? It's so odd that even a keiretsu should have been able to accommodate this.

Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    If you prefer a stripped down camera, then Moore is less, more or less???
    Less is only more when I step on a weight scale.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast