1. Collapse Details
    trans atlantic interview
    Maybe I have to interview an American scientist. I can fly there, I can hire a local cameraman or I can do the interview online.

Is there a high quality alternative for software like skype?

thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Do you have a public IP you can use? You could set up a Mistserver cheaply for a month and have it grab the interview as it streams across the internet.Then you are in control of the data. One of the better ways is to set up any kind of video chat and hire a local crew to shoot it and then send you the high quality camera files after you are done. That way you can interact with the subject(s) and still get the highest quality files.

For specific applications, I can't help, only familiar with Skype (or whatever Microsoft is calling it now).

3. Collapse Details
    If you want it to look good, hire a local camera person. You can always just Skype some video from your POV or just use phones to hear and have them use a marker for eyeline. Porbably best to hire a local producer too to make it all happen as you would but if there's not adequate budget to do that, just the camera op who can do sound might work. Using Skype video for interviews, even in docs, always looks super low rent to me.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    The quality of webcams - presuming you don't mind it looking like a webcam talking head type - is pretty good these days but the problem is lighting and audio. A lav mic and a well lit room could make it look passable.

If you don't mind it looking like a web cam footage.

5. Collapse Details
    I would suggest hiring a good local crew and then “FaceTime” or “Skype” to do the interview yourself. The crew can put the phone/screen in a holder on a stand where you would normally sit for the interview and get the eye-line right and the subject can see and interact with you. You won’t just be a disembodied voice like we used to have to do back in the day with speakerphone interviews.

6. Collapse Details
    Like Dan, I'd suggest doing a phoner/tapesync. Even with a good-quality webcam and connection, getting the talent to position lights, mic, background, and so on can waste time and burn energy the subject could be using in your interview. You'd probably want someone there to handle all that stuff...and you might as well spend a little more to have them use a better camera, mic, and a couple lights....

If the scientist is connected to a university or large research company/institute, see if they have in-house facilities. Lots do (I've used several) since they want the PR. Ask your subject, his/her staff, or the associated Public Information Officer.

And this gives me an opening to post my favorite video tutorial. Four minutes of "information"
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.