Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    AG-CX350 - Chronic lack of information!
    Having managed to purchase a CX350 (in the UK) I have no doubt that it was money well spent, but I'm astonished by the lack of information on how to "drive" it.

The official online "Operating Instructions" are near useless:
    https://pro-av.panasonic.net/manual/.../chapter01.htm

To me they're a disorganised jumble of broken English, and I find it near impossible to find what I'm looking for. Not only that, but items are not in the same order that they are on the menus of the camera.

I hope that quite soon this forum will take the camera seriously enough to list it among Panasonic products.

If anyone can point me towards a knowledgeable tutorial (other than one about live streaming) I'd be most grateful.

2. Collapse Details
    Read posts #346,347,348 in the following thread:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...mcorder/page35

Hopefully it will be available soon.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for that. I appreciate third party "How To" material will be available soon, but I cannot quite believe a company like Panasonic can make such an astonishing product, and then more or less throw it out there saying "sort it out for yourselves".
    I guess they're big enough to get away with it.

4. Collapse Details
    I used to work in the engineering dept. of a medical electronics company. Our product manuals were usually written by one of the engineers who designed the product. The problem was the engineer may have known the product inside and out, but did not know how to write. My suggestions to hire a professional technical writer to write the product manuals were ignored. https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-User-Manual

5. Collapse Details
    Panasonic has had a chronic weakness with documentation, IMHO, going back to and beyond the original DVX100. Their manuals have always been translated from Japanese by someone who is not a native english speaker. Sometimes it is laughable. Shame to because they build a great product. The Panny pro website has suffered from the same language issues. Coming to the rescue is another Barry Green book which have always been very complete and will become your camera bible. Unfortunately the new book hasn't coincided with the camera release. Mr. Green and Panny have some sort of business arrangement and in the past, sometimes the guide book would actually be boxed with the cam.

Having said that, it sure seems like after all these years, Panny could have cleaned up these issues........are you listening Mitch?

6. Collapse Details
    Why do you think we commission Barry to write these books and make tutorial videos? The CX350 ones wll be available soon.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Mitch, just a couple of things:

This issue predates your tenure at Panny, so I am not pointing the finger at you. But in fact, Barry doesn't write a book about every cam in the handycam class: the PX270 and 230 for example. And compared to the previous handycams, the 270 was a whole new ballgame of image control options, so might have deserved some better documentation than the "laughable" translation in the pdf manual and the additional scene file guide. The manual that shipped with the cam had only a portion of the full manual as well, apparently to save on printing costs. Having owned both a DVX100B and a HPX170 along with Barry's books, I would readily endorse anything he has written as essential to get the most from the cams. Now, bout that website. I readily admit that if you fish around on the PannyPro site, you will find what you need. And it is better than it used to be. But much of it suffers the same poorly translated prose as that of the manuals. It seems that Panny has no guilt about representing their company and products in the US with some pretty poor quality documentation and websites. This is just my opinion having been a loyal Panny customer for well over a decade. Every company struggles with documentation, but it seems that a media company like Panny might have higher standards.

Best Regards,
    Grant
    Last edited by ggrantly; 06-13-2019 at 08:57 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I remember my tape VariCam coming with(not in the box) a Goodman's Guide for it. But it speaks volumes that they had to giveaway/include a $50-$100 book written by a third party to supplement the manufacturers owners manual for a $45K camera, and this is for professionals... I wish he had done one for the 2700, as well. I also bought Doug Jenson's digital book/guide for my F55.

9. Collapse Details
    If you get a Panasonic camera you need to have Barry telling you how to use it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I knew Robert Goodman pretty well during the "Goodman's Guides" era. The deal was, IIRC, the Panasonic manuals were (as was typical) written with an assumption that the reader had been working with video cameras for years and was still just glad to no longer worry about comet trails and not carry a seperate VTR.

Robert saw an opportunity to address the needs of informed people who were interested in the new Panasonic cameras but didn't come from TV stations, but were more from the film/indie world and wanted something a bit more organized and easier to use. Just like the old Magic Lantern books on specific still-photography camera models. I have a memory of Robert talking about how much his Guides cost to produce; deciding to make one for a specific new model required a tricky calculus and informed gut. I can't recall how the manuals got directly tied to Panasonic, but he had known those people for years and I'd suspect Jan Crittenden Livingston may have played a major hand.

ANYWAY, I've worked on a few manuals (for post products); it's hard and expensive to do well. Those Goodman's Guides were fantastic. And what I've seen of Barry's are too.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast