Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Indeed, thank you. Still would like to know about my question, could end up bringing my camera to a store for testing.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vilrockerdefer View Post
    Hello,

The title says it all pretty much.

Specifically, before buying it, I was wondering if using the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD on the FS7 would allow me to use the in-camera lens distortion compensation.

Thanks...
    In direct answer to your original question I would say 99% no.

In the 2/3" B4 broadcast and S35 world Fujinon and Canon worked with the likes of Panasonic and Sony and developed CAC and ALAC circuits to work with their lenses on cameras that supported CAC and ALEC. CAC and ALEC were lens compensation circuits that worked to correct lens peripheral illumination in the corners throughout the zoom and aperture ranges and it also to corrected the CA aberrations that dynamically altered at different apertures and zoom lengths. Sony internally with their own products have done a similar thing developing corrective circuits with their own native camera bodies and lenses. Coming back to my 99% comment I have never heard any comment to the effect that Sony's proprietary lens correction technology has been licensed or released to any other lens manufacturer other than Zeiss on the Zeiss/Sony lenses that Sony have collaborated on. If I put a Canon 17-120 onto the FS7 I'm relying on the pure integrity of Canon's lens design to deliver the most pristine image possible to the FS7 sensor. On the other hand if I put the Canon 17-120 onto an F55 then I do get the certain correction parameters through an intelligent PL mount. I would be very surprised to see this sort of lens compensation capacity ever appearing in third party lenses. Especially on what are ostensibly still camera photo lenses.

Chris Young

3. Collapse Details
    I couldn't resist when I found a pristine second-hand model this morning and bought it. Was well inspired, it seems very very good from the first photographic tests, and it definitely does apply lens distortion compensation while mounted on the FS7. It also seems to correct chromatic aberration when the option is activated. For the curious here is a basic test I just did : https://youtu.be/tfidDEqj2m4

Maybe it is due to the fact that Sony owns part of Tamron so I've heard. Just a guess.

4. Collapse Details
    Interesting. I guess you are stating that the second half of the clip, at around 9 seconds shows the corrected clip. I see there is a slight crop into the frame. Was this a result of the lens behaving that way once the correction was turned on?

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    Exactly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12