1. Collapse Details
    FS7 Custom Paint Menu Help
    Hey friends, I have an event I have to shoot for a home building company that I wonít be editing myself. I typically edit all my work, so I pretty much live in CineEI mode. The company instead wants me to shoot in a Custom profile because they donít want to grade log footage. They want some wiggle room for color, but not quite anything like log.

Iíve read every post on this forum I could find about a custom profile on the FS7 (I have a MKII) that matches Sony Alpha cameras in non-log. This is important to me because Iím needing to use my A7III and A7RIII as B-cams during this shoot. I came across a few posts that suggested you could use Hypergamma 2 on the FS7 and Cine2 on the Sony mirrorless cameras to get a close match. What I donít understand though is those posts donít say what Color Mode the Alpha cams should be in when using Cine2 (Iím assuming Cinema). Those posts also donít mention anything else about the Paint Menus on the FS7. I feel kinda lost because I donít know what else to set on the FS7 besides literally just Hypergamma 2. Thereís like 10 million other options to select, none of which make sense to me coming from CineEI mode where everything was much simpler when choosing a picture profile.

Can anyone help me figure out what I can set my settings to so these cameras will match relatively close? I would much appreciate it!

2. Collapse Details
    Also, all of my cameras have the new Hybrid Log Gamma profiles. Perhaps those could be an option for matching all three without using log, but still keeping a good image that can be tweaked as needed?

3. Collapse Details
    I would find out what exactly is their idea of "tweaking" is... would seem to suit one of the Hyper Gamma,s 3 our 4 on the f7s.. the A7III I,d play safe and stick to PP4..REC709.. detail -7.. only so much 8 bit tweaking ..

4. Collapse Details
    I'd use custom mode for the FS7 in Slog2 or slog3 and the same for the A7
    white balance all camera's

And now you have footage that almost doesn't need to be graded.

5. Collapse Details
    I took the time to set up settings on my FS5 and A7RIII to match FS7 in Cine EI mode with LUT applied. This was well spent time when shooting multi camera shoots.

6. Collapse Details
    Try these settings. The FS7 matrix is my standard matrix for everything but saturation and black level tend to change for the scene and I sometimes go to -8 or -9 on phase.
    These seemed like a pretty good match to me. Yellow was the hardest color to match though . Other settings on the A7 were default.
    I haven't played with HLG on the A7 yet.

Contrary to the impression most people give , there's always some wiggle room in post from Custom WYSIWG as long as your in the ballpark.

A7iii
    Cine 4
    Color - Pro
    Color Depth Y-2
    Detail - 5 to -7

FS7 Custom
    HG7
    Matrix ON
    user Matrix ON
    STD Matrix
    saturation (level) to taste probably +2 or more
    black Level - to taste but somewhere around - 5 or lower