Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I think it is tough to make a market for 8k (let me be wrong for the sake of camera divisions), but I can see a clever marketing guy at a camera company making a market for full frame. If they can get clients to demand it, then you have to provide it. Sure, not everyone will jump on ship, but they probably can get enough to make a business out of it.

For sports broadcast, 8k could make sense. Panasonic is pitching an 8k camera locked off on a full football field shot and then the truck could just take a crop from wherever they wanted to show the action. The pitch being that it eliminated cameras and operators. Imagine getting 8k on a 2/3" sensor.

2. Collapse Details
    The only thing I'm crazy about more or as much as cameras is football, and that is not happening. People would go insane.

Hockey fans went crazy when they decided to track/outline the puck, and now golf fans aren't having it either. This would be 10,000 worse. You need cameras on all parts of the field whether they are operated by humans or robots. The only thing this would be good for is for instant replays in which other angles may have missed the play or were obstructed by natural circumstances.

3. Collapse Details
    I see you have no romance for pan and scan.

I agree. I don't see how it eliminates camera positions. Maybe it eliminates camera operators, but you still need someone to run a joystick in the truck and we know how well that works.

4. Collapse Details
    Sidebar...Ive noticed that both BH and Adorama have the c200 bundled with a Shogun (which is very cool) but both retailers stipulate "no returns or exchanges" I find that odd. Anyone? New firmware with codec coming? Dunno...Hampster wheel is turning
    Foundation Digital Media
    foundationdigitalmedia.com

5. Collapse Details
    One other thing that I forgot to mention was that one of the filmmakers suggested that Canon put a C300-like camera inside of the old XL-2 and that kind of peaked interest across the panel. And then Tim Smith told a story about how he was at a smaller concert recently and the in-house video feed was being operated with an XL-2. Granted this panel was for doc/reality but the main focus moving forward seemed to be "What would help you get the shot?" and not "How can we get better quality?"

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Foundas View Post
    Sidebar...Ive noticed that both BH and Adorama have the c200 bundled with a Shogun (which is very cool) but both retailers stipulate "no returns or exchanges" I find that odd. Anyone? New firmware with codec coming? Dunno...Hampster wheel is turning
    Most Canon cinema products are like that if you check other Canon cameras.

Someone "on the inside" on here once said it's because of the high return rate on them and people buying them just to use them for 28-29 days (especially during the C300 days when it was an industry-standard) only to return them just before the return policy expires.

I don't know.

7. Collapse Details
    The Flame itself is $200 off ($800 instead of $1000). But this raises the question of "why C200?". Of the two eligible Canon models, C200 has sufficient internal codec in CRL. Maybe Atomos is seeking to clear its inventory too because the arriving cameras will be similarly capable of quality internal codec and bitrate with the CFexpress cards (and HEVC).

And continuing with the "clearing the inventory" theme, B&H still has the original C100 without the DPAF upgrade and that's a seven year old model.

8. Collapse Details
    Nothing new...they add recorders or other gear to their own camera kits/bundles every year.

Nothing more than an incentive. (The camera is old in today's world.)

As far as Atomos, they just announced a new line (Neon) with 8K ProRes RAW support...so.

9. Collapse Details
    Canon Cinema EOS cameras have always been "no returns" from every retailer. It's a Canon Cinema thing.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

10. Collapse Details
    Ironically, this oddball doesn't have the notice at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ull_frame.html

Probably because not many people purchase a $33K camera and return it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast