Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon event at CineGear 2019
    I attended the Canon seminar on Saturday evening which was a panel of documentary/reality filmmakers from Jay Leno's Garage, Deadliest Catch, etc.. While it was really interesting to hear everyone's experiences my overall feeling walking away from the event is that I'd be pretty surprised if Canon comes out with another Cinema EOS camera in the next 12 months.

At the end of the seminar Tim Smith asked the filmmakers what they'd like to see Canon make next and from what I remember the answers were a video zoom lens that had a wider-to-longer focal range so you could shoot a show/doc with one lens and then other answer was some sort of satelite/bluetooth time code sync for multicam shoots and the ability to monitor other cameras on your shoot wirelessly through the monitor on your camera (like having all your cams on the same network so you can check all your other angles when shooting multi cams by yourself).

I was tempted to run up and grab the mic and make all of our requests known.....

But hearing Tim wax nostalgic over the 5DMKII and one of the cinematographers saying that the C300 has still been his most use camera and the fact that there were no real serious discussions on what could be next on the horizon or talks of the future made me think that nothing's coming anytime soon....

I feel like if they stole a few features from the EVA 1 (5.7 sensor, in-camera sensor stabilization), put it into a C200 body, added timecode sync, dual CFAST slots, and proper SDI outputs they pretty much wouldn't need to make another camera in that range for another 5+ years.

As a whole, it seems that the camera market is really slowing down and that release cycles are going to go back to where they were 10+ years ago - at least for mid-range pro cameras.

2. Collapse Details
    It's not just Canon. What about the camera Panasonic just released? I'm thinking, what where they thinking? I registered for but didn't bother to go to Cinegear this year. I'm in last camera syndrome mode with the C200. Heck. I still have a 5DMKII that I use. I really wish the 18-80 were T2.8. Then they'd have a least a little bit of my attention.

3. Collapse Details
    Yea, I feel like if they could even get the 18-80 to T3.5-3.8ish I'd consider buying it. Just rented it last week for a 4-day doc and it's really a great lens and f/4 is about where I prefer to be for doc stuff anyways, but I just have to leave it in the bag once the sun goes down.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    IMO, Canon tends to hold cards pretty close to their kimonos. The next big decision in their cinema line will have to come from their executive suit. EF or R? APS-C or FF?

The answers will likely be R & FF. And 6K. And CRL.

5. Collapse Details
    Based upon my pre NAB conversation with Canon marketing brass, I think Chris nailed it. I knew there were no new cameras for NAB or CineGear and with the layoffs and facility closing for Canon, its obvious that the company is shifting its priorities from photography and pro video to other more profitable markets. With the radical price reduction of the Varicam LT and the only new camera intro being the S1H at $4k, I think you are seeing some similar overall business strategy from Panasonic. Does the world really need an EVA 2? Only Mitch and Co know as far as if their sales projections on the EVA 1 are what they want them to be and if there are untapped customers for a new EVA 2.

As far as Sony, their exhibit at Cine Gear was generally far more crowded than Canon or Panasonics exhibits but they didn't show any new products and most of the push was about the Venice. No new FS7 MKIII, not a peep about an A7 SIII. We'll eventually see an XH-2 and an XT-4 from Fuji but they aren't in a hurry, the XT-3 has sold exceptionally well over the past 6-8 months for them and they were concentrating on their new Premista Cine glass. BMD has had good success with the BMPCC 4K and they seem to selling some UMP V2s so I wouldn't expect much from them for new cameras.

It's 2019 and the reckoning is finally here. You can't have ongoing, unprecedented new camera introductions for a market that isn't growing at the same pace as it once was. Hopefully this will put the hammer down on the 8K and 16K stupidity for a while and people will slowly realize that none of that is needed.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 06-05-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    But the problem isn't that there can't be new cameras but that any new camera seems to be so far ahead of a last year's camera, which is itself so far ahead of the camera before it. IOW, who'd buy a C200 for $7,500 or C300 MKIII for $10,000 if S1H blows them out on specs (or, at least, some specs). So, then the only thing that remains for the manufacturers is to get rid of the remaining inventory and to replace it with a new model.

These new Sony sensors were announced in September, 2018 (and others may have been later on but I can't seem to find any source for that) and they are not made to stay on the shelf. I fully expect to see A7RIV with a 61.2 MPX sensor and 8K video. A7SIII seems trickier because S1H seems to have stolen its specs ... with the possible exception of the AI auto focus, CFexpress slots, X-Ocn codec and built-in ND's, which exist on other Sony models in its class. Which, when you think about it, is a pretty solid retort from a team in the same league.

And Canon would have to seek its own landing spot, somewhere in the $8,000-$10,000 range. Where 8K and internal Raw must be on the same menu.

7. Collapse Details
    I always say that Canon is not forced to step up the game by their own users. Their specs are usually worse than competition but they are popular anyways. Imagine you are Canon and your customers are hapilly buying underspecs products and they are actually using it for work with good results. Why would you introduce new product? This strategy makes sense. If it is good or bad is up to you.

8. Collapse Details
    Up until 4-5 years ago, Sony was barely in the consumer-entry level pro photo/video business. Once they got in, however, they have done so well, the head of their Alpha division was promoted into the mobile phone group. And he got that new gig because Sony now leads the full frame niche and is using it to dominate the other formats.

And they make sensors for almost everyone.

And Canon is yielding its previously captured markets.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    It's 2019 and the reckoning is finally here. You can't have ongoing, unprecedented new camera introductions for a market that isn't growing at the same pace as it once was. Hopefully this will put the hammer down on the 8K and 16K stupidity for a while and people will slowly realize that none of that is needed.
    Exactly, it's overkill. 99 percent of us will never need more than 4K (and often no more than HD) to do our work, unless it's insane VFX. The cinema cameras we need are already out there with 13+ stops of DR and decent codecs, so maybe the camera companies are realizing that there's a plateau that has been reached...

10. Collapse Details
    The plateau that's been reached is the technical limitations one...for now.

6K and 8K cameras will no doubt flood the market within the next 2 years.

If the hardware & knowledge is available, someone is going to offer it (already did) and then everyone will follow, no matter if it's necessary or not.

And not just for marketing. But to make something that can and needs to be made, needs to be accomplished.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast