Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to Rig up an overhead Kino Flo Setup
    Attached is a diagram of what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to light a 7ft x 3ft wide desk from above with a Kino Flo (and likely some diffusion in between). My idea was to use two C-stands on either side of the desk, with a nano clamp attached to the baby pin of the C-stand, gripping onto a 1/2" or 5/8" piece of conduit or something.

The kino flo comes with a back plate that supplies you with a male baby pin. So the question is how do we go from pipe to male baby pin? Every clamp I keep finding has a male baby pin on it already. Maybe I should skip the C-stands altogether and use a wall spreader? This will be a permanent setup.

EDIT: Sorry, attaching images isn't working so I uploaded it to imgur: https://i.imgur.com/H8exCVw.jpg?1

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    Have you considered literibbon?

4. Collapse Details
    In the drawing, is it one tube?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Have you considered literibbon?
    No, I have not. You talking about making your own fixture? It's 4 tubes.

6. Collapse Details
    There are cheaper/lighter (mass) alternative to kino.. simplest being a litemat taped to the ceiling!

For a permanent install I would not be wasting floor space or money on Cstands.

Id use scaffolding.. how it was rigged would depend on the building structure.

Id use Kee Klamp joiners -cheap and low profile.

Could be a simple baby-plate on screwed into the ceiling beams above (with another shackle for safety)

Through to a wall spreader or a goal post.

The more rigid the building and the more you can intefere/damage* it the less rigging you need.

Id obviously be looking to give flexibility so some sort of mini grid could allow you to hang a dedo or mic or adjust the position of the main kino.

*damage=drilling holes in through the plaster boad etc.

7. Collapse Details
    lowell grip

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ.../Lowel_KG.html

also a good way to set the pipe on your c stands directly on the baby studs.

I use these all the time with pipes.

8. Collapse Details
    Morgan’s pretty on point.

Kinos can be had cheaper though. And kino is inherently softer light.

You can also rent some speed rail and speed rail clamps with baby pins on them, which will work with c stands and gobo heads.

If you have a tiled drop ceiling, you can flatten the kino’s outer casing and clamp the case and tubes to the drop ceiling. Then safety tie it in case anything werest to occur. Draxt it sclounst.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    There are cheaper/lighter (mass) alternative to kino.. simplest being a litemat taped to the ceiling!

For a permanent install I would not be wasting floor space or money on Cstands.

Id use scaffolding.. how it was rigged would depend on the building structure.

Id use Kee Klamp joiners -cheap and low profile.

Could be a simple baby-plate on screwed into the ceiling beams above (with another shackle for safety)

Through to a wall spreader or a goal post.

The more rigid the building and the more you can intefere/damage* it the less rigging you need.

Id obviously be looking to give flexibility so some sort of mini grid could allow you to hang a dedo or mic or adjust the position of the main kino.

*damage=drilling holes in through the plaster boad etc.
    I can "damage" the location. What are your alternatives to kino?

Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Morgan’s pretty on point.

Kinos can be had cheaper though. And kino is inherently softer light.

You can also rent some speed rail and speed rail clamps with baby pins on them, which will work with c stands and gobo heads.

If you have a tiled drop ceiling, you can flatten the kino’s outer casing and clamp the case and tubes to the drop ceiling. Then safety tie it in case anything werest to occur. Draxt it sclounst.
    How can kinos be had for cheaper? I want soft light. I don't want to rent anything, this is a permanent setup. It's not a drop ceiling, just a regular drywall ceiling.

I need a bright, overhead light to light a desk that is 7ft x 3ft. I have an intellytech LC-160, but it's square and it's more of a spotlight. I suppose I could just buy a second one instead of getting a kino.
    Last edited by SDub; 06-06-2019 at 12:58 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    I dont really know

It seems that kinos (celeb) are about 3x the price watt for watt for LED panels vs the chinese*

But as you are not looking to light a huge space a flouro kino might provide better value.. especially used.

* real weakness of the chinese kit is you cant thow it in and out of locations - but thats not relevant in your case.

--

If you can damage the space Id have a professional builder to attache a few of these to the ceiling https://keesystems.com/store/fitting...ng-flange.html.

You kthen work with these
    https://keesystems.com/store/fitting...ocket-tee.html

Add some scaffolding and hang stuff from these (the version with the baby pin)

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk...howprod_T57000

Get an electrician to provide some sockets at the top of the wall, ideally all through one switch so you can turn off and go home with one click

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast