Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lumix S1 poo pooup
    So I just got my S1 and realized that its not a world camera in the US its NTSC only.
    I didn't check before because I don't remember seeing any professional PAL or NTSC only versions in years.
    I have to send it back to BH and somehow find a PAL version. Panasonic customer service has been pretty useless.

If anyone has any ideas please do tell.

To panasonic I have to say- that is really stupid.

2. Collapse Details
    That's weird. Even on most existing "DSLR's", they let you choose in the menu/settings whether you shoot in "NTSC*/PAL" or set the "system frequency" 59.94hz/50hz.

*Technically NTSC doesn't exist anymore, it's ATSC, but everyone still refers to it as NTSC.

3. Collapse Details
    So I looked around and found out that the euro version IS 50/60 switchable. So back to BH it goes and hello CVP in the UK.
    So if don’t want a 60hz only camera don’t buy it in the US. Nice panasonic very nice...

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, researching the specs before buying is a good idea. My original A7s was similar -- NTSC region only -- though in all the time I owned it I only received one inquiry about shooting at a PAL frame rate. I was actually very pleasantly surprised that my GH5s would do both NTSC and PAL regions, but its big bonus points for me were the elimination of the 30-minute limit on recording and the timecode jam-sync capability -- making it an excellent second camera choice when doing long interviews with my EVA1.

5. Collapse Details
    PAL and NTSC specifications apply to SD (Analog) video only. Digital is Progressive, interlaced signal from digital cameras are a pull down conversion. Today, you have a 50Hz or 60Hz power frequency difference. It is odd, Panasonic is making two different camera versions for US and Europe markets.
    Cheers

6. Collapse Details
    WAIT....... you can *not* do 60fps if you buy the S1 in the USA???? Madness.

Seriously?
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    WAIT....... you can *not* do 60fps if you buy the S1 in the USA???? Madness.

Seriously?
    Where did you get that? Specs clearly state is can do 60(59.94).

8. Collapse Details
    Here is the thing:

In the USA Panasonic sells a US only version that only does 60hz Flavors: 60p, 24p and 30p.
    In the EU Panasonic sells the same camera as a "world camera" that has all frame rates ie. 60, 50, 24, 25, and 30p.
    For people who only work for US clients not a big deal but for people like me that have clients from all over the place makes the camera a non starter.
    There is no logic behind this- I would prefer buying the camera here in the states from my usual suspects but now have to get it from the UK with all kinds of complications down the road with repair services warranty issues and probably a huge headache when it will come to getting the Vlog upgrade.

All ts doing is pissing pro users like me off for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Where did you get that? Specs clearly state is can do 60(59.94).

9. Collapse Details
    Buy an imported one on eBay like the rest of the country does? (Those who are in a similar situation like you are in...or just would like a cheaper camera.)

You still get a warranty but it wouldn't be a Panasonic one. The future V-log update would be worth looking into though.

10. Collapse Details
    I hear you. First im kind find a seller win Ebay that really knows if the version they are selling has all frame rates or not. Then there will be guaranteed a problem getting the v-log to work. The software they will be distributing in the US will not work on the Euro version and to get a euro version you will have to register it in say Britain etc. its going to be painful.
    Why just not sell the same version like in the EU with 50p and 60p?
    It just defies logic and will only anger buyers with no advantage for anyone including panasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Buy an imported one on eBay like the rest of the country does? (Those who are in a similar situation like you are in...or just would like a cheaper camera.)

You still get a warranty but it wouldn't be a Panasonic one. The future V-log update would be worth looking into though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast