Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It really depends on what you do with the computer.

If you have reasonably basic needs, all talk about workstations and Mac Pro is silly: get a cheaper computer, with whatever OS you prefer (I prefer W10 but I know lots of people like the Apple UI better, so, it's a matter of taste, just go whichever way makes you flow smoothly).

If anybody is considering a Mac Pro, I'd hope it's because they're running heavy tasks that could make use of that hardware. And if that's the case, I really have a hard time thinking anybody should go Apple. The PC workstation I'd buy today is $5k (Threadripper with 32 cores and 128GB of RAM). The Mac Pro that costs approximately that much would take four to six times more time to complete demanding tasks: that's going from two weeks (a normal running time in the 36-core intel workstation I use at work currently) to two or three months, which is unacceptable, and no amount of preference over one UI or another could make me take the slower option. The Mac Pro that would complete the tasks in the same amount of time is almost $20k; we could get one huge workstation for each researcher if we spent that much, and wouln't have to queue ever again.

I think I'll never see a Mac Pro in the real world.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Agencies and studios with the open office floor plan will have Mac Pros. (That includes on screen movie offices that aren’t sponsored by dell)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Agencies and studios with the open office floor plan will have Mac Pros. (That includes on screen movie offices that aren’t sponsored by dell)
    So we can wait for the first mac pro shells with pc's built in it. Best of both worlds.

4. Collapse Details
    Oh well, the Mac book Pro imitation is no joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518AWHLn3ZU

33159-57832-header-l.jpg
    Last edited by Publimix; 12-14-2019 at 04:16 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    yes but we are all still just talking about CPU performance and not the overall experience of the computer.

Most of know there can be cheaper/faster CPUs out there. While I would love for a cheaper desktop class Mac there isn't one and that isn't going to want me to change the platform I prefer to work on. I would rather use a 6 core Mac mini than a 12 core desktop PC because I prefer to use MacOS and I prefer the support of Apple. End of story.

I don't care if I can get more processing power for less. It isn't the platform I want to use. I have Windows 10 and use it with bootcamp and I hate it. I use it for a few applications (3D Studio Max) and that's it but spend 90% of my time in MacOS. No amount of cheaper processing power is going to make me ditch the platform I'm comfortable with and prefer.

Many of these arguments are not even really about PC or Mac but about desktop class vs workstation class systems. HP, Dell and Lenovo have similar spec workstations that actually cost more than the MP does and offer less. Workstation class computers have always been grossly over priced compared to desktop systems. This has been true for decades. Like Nvidia Quadro cards vs Geforce cards that were pretty much the same thing. I also wish Apple would create a system more like a desktop PC. Something in-between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. It really sucks that they don't. With that said there is a market for workstation systems. Always has been and there always will be. On the Mac or PC side.

I myself would potentially consider a base MP someday for a few reasons.

1. upgrading ram is a pain in the Mac mini and caps out at 64 GB. Someday I may need more and the MP can use a ton of Ram.

2. I use a eGPU with my Mac mini and I love it and see it as a game changer for small systems and laptops but it still isn't the most stable or easy to support solution in the world. The MP can use the same graphics cards like the $350 Vega 56. It can also house I think at least four of them meaning I would save $1,200 on 3 more eGPU enclosures and not have limited bandwidth with every pair of eGPUs sharing the already limited TB3 bandwidth.

3. 4k and 8k video I/O cards are still for the most part PCI-e cards and while TB3 can do almost anything today there is certain hardware that still needs a desktop.

4. I can upgrade the CPU someday if I want to. Already the 16 core is only a $2,000 upgrade and maybe a few years down the road that price will come down. Moving from the 8 core to 16 core could be a decent performance upgrade vs buying a whole new Mac.

5. There are people out there still making great use of the 2012 MP tower which is now a 7 year old system.

6. I prefer a headless Mac which is why I have a 6 core Mac mini. I love the iMac but hate that the $1,200 display is stuck on that computer and can't be used with anything else. I would rather invest in good displays and have the option to swap them out as needed. The Mini serves me very well for now but it is kind of limited in the future. My plan is to replace the $2,000 setup in a few years with the next $2,000 setup of the Mini. An alternative is getting a base MP and upgrading parts instead of replacing the entire Mini every couple of years. buying 3 Mac minis over seven years or buying one MP now and upgrading may end up costing the same. Plus someday we will have TB4 then TB5 meaning I have to buy all new enclosure for the graphics cards. The MP will always have the 16x slots.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    yes but we are all still just talking about CPU performance and not the overall experience of the computer.
    I fully respect your preferences, but you keep saying what WE are talking about - and it's not true.

I prefer to use MacOS and I prefer the support of Apple.
    I think that's great. But it doesn't mean others aren't considering the holistic experience of the computer. MacOS is very good, I preferred it until about 2012 when it leveled out for me, and today I think Windows 10 has surpassed it. YMMV.

I don't care if I can get more processing power for less. It isn't the platform I want to use.
    The main point was that unfortunately, one can't get more processing power for any amount of money from Apple since they are beholden to their hardware choices.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Here's a video from a professional server tech that goes into why AMD EPYC servers are plowing through former Intel server territory. It doesn't cover video production work at all, but a few of the benchmarks like the Blender one will give you some idea about the power difference between AMD vs Intel. Also check out the comments from other server IT techs and how they feel about this huge AMD sea-change. ( Warning this is a super geeky video )

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    Oh well, the Mac book Pro imitation is no joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518AWHLn3ZU

33159-57832-header-l.jpg
    Hahaha! They went true cheese grater, since that would probably be cheaper than Apple’s Y holes.

9. Collapse Details
    After seeing Sony and Canon monitors, i know the new Apple monitors will be awesome. I may get one, and skip the macpro.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Hahaha! They went true cheese grater, since that would probably be cheaper than Apple’s Y holes.
    Watch the video- also includes Y hole panel (front only).

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast