Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    news flash: companies only care about us for our money

But yeah, I do, to a certain extent. They have the MacBook pro and iMac Pro for us. People who buy the highly priced Mac Pro's are high maintenance, because they spent a lot and their livelihood is on the line. iPhone users aren't nearly as demanding, for example, as Premiere users who will rant and rage about missing features 2 weeks after a new development, which seems to happen at a breakneck pace, or a system failure costing them thousands or more in downtime or compromised ability to operate the business. It's not exactly a desirable niche industry.
    I've seen several of the previous generation Mac Pros turn into literal trash can paper weights. These Mac Pros are no more guaranteed not to fail anymore than any other PC, especially custom built ones (mine's 8 years old and never had a single issue.) These Mac Pros are going to be nothing more than a Status Symbol. That's it.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 06-03-2019 at 02:05 PM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    but as far as I know you could still use one of the older nvidia cards
    Apple killed NVIDIA support in Mojave.

3. Collapse Details
    Heh I don't feel quite as cynical as you. Apple uses top end PC parts. They are quality machines, but yes, they are prone to the same failures as any other PCs. They aren't just status symbols though, unless someone like you or me bought them - they will go to multi million dollar edit houses and pays.

That said, I do agree that Apple's tagline for Pro computers could be "Cool design, surrounding stock hardware, priced astronomically, for the privilege of running MacOS".

Outside of a couple of cool innovations - MDX slot (which looks like a much better version of SLI) and Afterburner card (sort of looks like a Red Rocket card for ProRes??) -- and those are cool -- but outside of that these are, and have always been, just very high end PCs running MacOS. Huge businesses clearing millions in budgets don't have the time or desire to custom build 40 high end pcs. These machines will last them nearly a decade with a singular, trusted, touch point for support and cost less than the line item cost of a single quarter of a year for a single contractor.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post
    Apple killed NVIDIA support in Mojave.

For clarification, do you mean they killed future Nvidia support? I still have Mac hardware with Nvidia cards on them, and they are running Mojave. I haven't been keeping up with this as I've largely moved to PC now.

5. Collapse Details
    Lol.

So now people can buy a grossly overpriced shiny metallic box with an underperforming, outdated and overpriced Intel CPU?

I would go with Zen 2, either with Rome Epyc or Castle Peak Ryzen (Threadripper) and say goodbye to Apple and Intel.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    I am waiting to see if the new 7nm Threadripper will be coming soon-ish (I'd assume so), and if Intel is able to update to 10nm Ice Lake desktop parts soon-ish. It's overall a good time to buy a workstation in the next 12 months. Even Ryzen 3 coming next month looks smoking. So yeah, I would not invest in a 28 core xeon CPU right now...

One other little fun fact: The $999 stand isn't the price to buy an extra one or a replacement one. Apparently the monitor, for $5999 for the nano textured glass display, comes without any stand. So it's about $7000 for the monitor with stand...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Afterburner will be extra. There's not way that's included as standard.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Lol.

So now people can buy a grossly overpriced shiny metallic box with an underperforming, outdated and overpriced Intel CPU?

I would go with Zen 2, either with Rome Epyc or Castle Peak Ryzen (Threadripper) and say goodbye to Apple and Intel.
    Would that run an Apple-supported MacOS?

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    Would that run an Apple-supported MacOS?
    I believe that was a partial response to "Cool design, surrounding stock hardware, priced astronomically, for the privilege of running MacOS".

10. Collapse Details
    I have an ASUS ProArt display, I like them, this isn't the same. It's 1000 nits peak brightness, not sustained, and 95% DCI P3 color, and 4k not 6k. 1000:1 static contrast ratio VS 1,000,000:1. It also misses some of the unique features Apple has on the Pro Display: The glossy/matte best of both worlds combo (Nano textured glass), the better off angle polarizing, etc. etc.

I also suspect Apple's reference modes and out of factory calibration will be superior based on my experience with my ProArt.

Does that make Apple's display worth 3x more? Probably not objectively, I am just saying, they have something you can't purchase anywhere else today and who knows when if its patented. We won't know till they are in the wild, but as a home built PC user with no budget to buy the Apple Display, I am objectively aware that price aside this display quite simply rocks.
    The new ProArt hasn't been released yet. It's a new model.

The key features - colour, brightness and static contrast, they are identical. And ASUS will have much better blooming control with twice the amount of dimming zones.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast