Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    576 (32 x 18) local dimming zones on a 32inch display really can't justify $6K.

2. Collapse Details
    Every Pro Display XDR screen is engineered for extremely low reflectivity. And if you’re in an especially uncontrolled lighting environment, there’s an innovative matte option with nano-texture glass. Typical matte displays have a coating added to their surface that scatters light. However, these coatings lower contrast while producing unwanted haze and sparkle. The nano-texture on Pro Display XDR is actually etched into the glass at the nanometer level. The result is a screen with beautiful image quality that maintains contrast while scattering light to reduce glare to the barest minimum.
    I think this is super cool. I also think it is likely patented, which is a bummer!

Actually, there's a handful of things on the Pro Display XDR I think are really innovative. While the Mac Pro is powerful, with a few exceptions, most of that can be accomplished on a custom built PC if one desires. And if not today (i.e. Apple Afterburner or the MDX graphics feature), within a year I'd assume. However, the Pro Display XDR is something not available with an alternative anywhere else and is the real highlight here. I am hopeful some of this can come to a lower priced display, but I do suspect Apple has engineered some real breakthroughs here that will remain patented. The display is extremely expensive but there is no other option like it... if I had the $$ I would buy the display over the computer.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    I expect they'll sell boatloads of these things to post production houses and CGI farms.
    I think this exactly... my assumption would be they did their homework (duh) and found a price point that would sell to a certain market and maintain their historically high margins, while accounting for the lower volume of the niche market. For them to pursue a product like this, it has to make financial sense in light of their massively profitable iPhone/iPad sales. Charging these sorts of premiums is the only way to justify it, I would assume - not just the system but the headache that comes with offering business support and an entire department dedicated to the very demanding and high maintenance demographic that is the pro market. If you are selling multiple $20k-$25k computer packages to large clients, the economics are there. If you are selling something similar for $3k-$4k, maybe not so much, at least for a company like Apple.

I suspect this is also why they have intentionally "missed" the market for selling those lower priced devices - keep out the riff raff, so to speak.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    keep out the riff raff, so to speak.
    You mean keep out the very people that made Apple what it is today.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I think this is super cool. I also think it is likely patented, which is a bummer!

Actually, there's a handful of things on the Pro Display XDR I think are really innovative. While the Mac Pro is powerful, with a few exceptions, most of that can be accomplished on a custom built PC if one desires. And if not today (i.e. Apple Afterburner or the MDX graphics feature), within a year I'd assume. However, the Pro Display XDR is something not available with an alternative anywhere else and is the real highlight here. I am hopeful some of this can come to a lower priced display, but I do suspect Apple has engineered some real breakthroughs here that will remain patented. The display is extremely expensive but there is no other option like it... if I had the $$ I would buy the display over the computer.
    Asus has a 32in display ProArt PA32UCX that does 1200nit with 1296 dimming zones vs Apple's 576.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinhello View Post
    Asus has a 32in display ProArt PA32UCX that does 1200nit with 1296 dimming zones vs Apple's 576.
    I have an ASUS ProArt display, I like them, this isn't the same. It's 1000 nits peak brightness, not sustained, and 95% DCI P3 color, and 4k not 6k. 1000:1 static contrast ratio VS 1,000,000:1. It also misses some of the unique features Apple has on the Pro Display: The glossy/matte best of both worlds combo (Nano textured glass), the better off angle polarizing, etc. etc.

I also suspect Apple's reference modes and out of factory calibration will be superior based on my experience with my ProArt.

Does that make Apple's display worth 3x more? Probably not objectively, I am just saying, they have something you can't purchase anywhere else today and who knows when if its patented. We won't know till they are in the wild, but as a home built PC user with no budget to buy the Apple Display, I am objectively aware that price aside this display quite simply rocks.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    You mean keep out the very people that made Apple what it is today.
    news flash: companies only care about us for our money

But yeah, I do, to a certain extent. They have the MacBook pro and iMac Pro for us. People who buy the highly priced Mac Pro's are high maintenance, because they spent a lot and their livelihood is on the line. iPhone users aren't nearly as demanding, for example, as Premiere users who will rant and rage about missing features 2 weeks after a new development, which seems to happen at a breakneck pace, or a system failure costing them thousands or more in downtime or compromised ability to operate the business. It's not exactly a desirable niche industry.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    The big x-factor for me is the new afterburner card. Is it included in the base model? Does it mean that I donít need to spend so much on a great gaming GPU and gobs of ram because the machine is already built for video? I guess the answers to those questions will decide how fast I get one.

Iím also a bit unclear on whether you have to buy an Apple GPU or if you can buy off the shelf.

But yeah, itís clear Apple did listen.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    The big x-factor for me is the new afterburner card. Is it included in the base model? Does it mean that I don’t need to spend so much on a great gaming GPU and gobs of ram because the machine is already built for video? I guess the answers to those questions will decide how fast I get one.

I’m also a bit unclear on whether you have to buy an Apple GPU or if you can buy off the shelf.

But yeah, it’s clear Apple did listen.
    I can go ahead and answer this for you now without hard facts... but...

1. Afterburner card is definitely extra, and probably costs a lot. $1500 to $2000? Anyone who needs one can afford one. And as a general rule with the MacPro, my assumption is IF they can charge extra for it, they WILL charge extra for it, and it will exceed all your preconceived notions about what something should cost.

2. You should be able to buy a GPU off the shelf AS LONG AS it's support by MacOS. Apple doesn't make GPUs, they just have a list of compatible GPUs. The PCI-E support is industry standard. If you want their special MPX module that is Apple only. It seems like their latest software developments are all favoring AMD GPUs now, I haven't seen them do much with Nvidia anymore, but as far as I know you could still use one of the older nvidia cards (I don't know whether or not Mac OS supports the RTX 2080 TI now or ever will, you would have to check that).

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I can go ahead and answer this for you now without hard facts... but...

1. Afterburner card is definitely extra, and probably costs a lot. $1500 to $2000? Anyone who needs one can afford one. And as a general rule with the MacPro, my assumption is IF they can charge extra for it, they WILL charge extra for it, and it will exceed all your preconceived notions about what something should cost.

2. You should be able to buy a GPU off the shelf AS LONG AS it's support by MacOS. Apple doesn't make GPUs, they just have a list of compatible GPUs. The PCI-E support is industry standard. If you want their special MPX module that is Apple only. It seems like their latest software developments are all favoring AMD GPUs now, I haven't seen them do much with Nvidia anymore, but as far as I know you could still use one of the older nvidia cards (I don't know whether or not Mac OS supports the RTX 2080 TI now or ever will, you would have to check that).
    God I hope not. Still early so I’m not sure what’s real yet, but at least this mashable article I found implies that the Afterburner is standard kit. You could be right but I hope your wrong for my wallet’s sake.

“The Mac Pro also comes with Apple Afterburner, an accelerator card that can decode up to three streams of 8K ProRes RAW video, or 12 streams of 4K ProRes RAW video in real time. “
    https://mashable.com/article/apple-mac-pro-wwdc-2019/

NVIDIA is probably a no-go because of drivers. I’m running with a 2012 cheesegrater V1 with a gtx1080 and can’t upgrade past High Sierra because of a lack of drivers. Id love to take my current card and just slide it into a new Mac Pro, but without those drivers I doubt that’s in the cards.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast