Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Mac Pro & Pro Display XDR
    Specced out should cost more than a car, but truly looks like a powerhouse that gives Pros everything they have asked for. Glad to see them really going all out.

The Pro Display XDR looks AMAZING. Rich for my blood at $5999 for the Nano Textured version, but it's pretty much a perfect display on paper. In the keynote, the audience audibly laughed out loud when they announced the stand price would cost $999. FOR THE STAND. LOL.

The Afterburner card is truly impressive. I will need to wait for the PC trickle down versions of this kind of hardware but this is a true pro level computer - apple is back, and for this with high budgets it may be a dream machine.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I think a lot of people are just going to be happy to see them go back to the big case style.

[I haven't followed any development so not sure if this was known already.]

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah this is the first time I watched a pro announcement in a long time where I felt like they really gave the pros exactly what they have been wanting. They listened.

Big case, super easy 360 access, handles on top, optional wheels, 10gb ethernet built in, tons of PCI-E cards, 6-channel memory with 12 DIMM sockets, innovative new hardware options like the MDX(?) graphics slot that adds some great new power options unique to Mac while still being fully compatible with standard hardware, excellent cooling, 1400 watt PSU, etc. etc.

The Pro Display XDR has, basically, a super cooled display allowing constant 1000 nit brightness, 1600 nit peak brightness, Million to 1 contrast ration, full HDR 10-bit support, the Nano Texture is basically Matte + Glossy display with all the pros of both and none of the cons (we will see how that goes!), 6K resolution at 32", etc.

The Mac Pro starts at $5999 with a LOW spec. It will be preposterously expensive especially if you compared it to a home built AMD Thread Ripper 28 core with 128GB of RAM, etc. But that's not the point, we all know Apple costs a lot. This is a few years overdue but this is for the first time in a while a TRUE, serious contended in the Pro industry that will be taken seriously by the pro market where this kind of $$$ is a line item write off. And should help restore the cachet around the Apple Pro perception.

They have some features and power that is not easy to build. or not yet available at all, in the PC market. And that's very cool to see.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    That Mac Pro price is out of my league.
    I don't really care about Xeons or crazy amounts of ram. I'm fine with a i7. I just want a tower where I can throw in an nVidia card.
    Something half the price would be great. Heck start them at $2000 with an i5.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Wow. That. Is. Pig. Ugly.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    8 core processor, 256gb ssd, 32gb ram, Radeon Pro 580X = $6K

Bwhahahahaha!

What are they thinking? That's an $1,800 computer. Their 6 year old Mac Pro offered similar specs with dual GPUs for $4K back when 8 cores and SSDs were far more expensive than they are now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    That Mac Pro price is out of my league.
    I don't really care about Xeons or crazy amounts of ram. I'm fine with a i7. I just want a tower where I can throw in an nVidia card.
    Something half the price would be great. Heck start them at $2000 with an i5.
    Yes, exactly! But it's what I expected... it's TOO pro ;)
    There's a big prtion of the pro market that needs an upgradeable box but has no needs for XEONS and ECC and whatnot.
    Sticking with my Hackintosh for as long as I can...
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

8. Collapse Details
    Cheese Grater on steroids. Lol. Actually I think the case design is pretty damn cool.

9. Collapse Details
    I think the design looks good.

The pricing is, by any metric at all, insane. But then I don't think we are their target market. My guess is that this cachet will help them sell more iMac Pros to prosumers, and they can reap heavy profits from Hollywood type studios with the Mac Pro.

The VESA mount for the Pro Display XDR is $200 and the stand is $1000. That's about 5-10x higher than the average retail MSP for those kind of items from other brands. $6000 for the base computer is an equally insane markup. A 2990wx Threadripper, RTX 2080 TI, 128gb DDR4 RAM, and a top end case with liquid cooling, multiple M2 SSDs, Corsair Gold 1400 watt PSU, and a bunch of other stuff will for all purposes perform close to their undisclosed pricing for a fully specced out system, at about the price of their entry level.

But they know that, we know that, and the people who will pay for this probably know that too. We ain't the market. It's just nice to see them not focus solely on consumer market, but to produce an actual workstation and push the envelope on technology, as they ahem undeniably done some cool stuff here.

I agree it would be nice to see them accommodate the Mac Pro design in a prosumer friendly package based on the Core 9900k at a more reasonable price point. Maybe in the future they will.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    The price is indeed insane, but I expect they'll sell boatloads of these things to post production houses and CGI farms. I need about one quarter of this power, and if it was sold at one quarter of the price I'd consider buying one.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast