Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    You should see an Arri Alexa paired with Leica Summilux-C lenses.

The C700 paired with Sumires to me is like pairing a C300 Mark II with softer CN-e primes. A mid range look, not high end.
    Actually, i was using a C300 mk1 with an old FD lens wide open just yesterday. The scandal!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    You should see my iPhone 8 Plus paired with my Moment Wide Angle lens. Magnifique!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    You should see my iPhone 8 Plus paired with my Moment Wide Angle lens. Magnifique!
    That's what Freddie Young would have used, had he been alive today.

4. Collapse Details
    I really like the C700 from what I've seen of it. It's hands down the best camera Canon have produced to-date in terms of ergonomics and operational ease of use (though Canon still have a lot to learn in terms of menu layout and ease of use).

It's got an image that strikes me as being comfortably on-par with its direct competition: the F55 and the Varicam.

It's pretty lightweight, and has an actual cheeseplate built-into it. So you don't have to add a kilogram of metal before you can start mounting accessories to it.

Would I ever buy one though? Nope. Because no one asks for it.

In owner-operator land, it's the height of foolishness to buy anything that isn't popular. It doesn't matter what the specs or feature-set of the equipment will open up to you options-wise. If producers aren't asking for it, you can't make enough money off it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    The C700 has been out for over two years now and I've yet to see a video where its image quality impressed me. The FS7 has been out for longer and I've never seen image quality that I've liked from it. At least with the Varicam 35 they had a good launch video which showed impressive looking footage. Everything I've seen from the C700 looks just like C300 Mark II footage which is decent but not as nice as Arri, Sony Venice, or Varicam 35. To me it's just too much money to spend for an image that doesn't compare well to the competition in that price range, regardless of how popular it is for a freelancer.

Plenty of DPs have the choice to get it from a rental house to use on their productions and they choose not to.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    The C700 has been out for over two years now and I've yet to see a video where its image quality impressed me. The FS7 has been out for longer and I've never seen image quality that I've liked from it. At least with the Varicam 35 they had a good launch video which showed impressive looking footage. Everything I've seen from the C700 looks just like C300 Mark II footage which is decent but not as nice as Arri, Sony Venice, or Varicam 35. To me it's just too much money to spend for an image that doesn't compare well to the competition in that price range, regardless of how popular it is for a freelancer.

Plenty of DPs have the choice to get it from a rental house to use on their productions and they choose not to.
    I've had a chance to shoot with the C700 twice, both times at Canon USA though, just test shots. It's a very nice camera. But overall, I agree with Eric, the images end up being pretty close to the C300 MKII or even my C200. The C700 FF is a bit different since the imager is larger and I thought the images
    looked nice and they had the supposed advantage of a larger imager (which are questionable to me) but if I had that kind of money to spend on a camera, I also agree with Eric, I would only buy whatever was popular. Trying to "sell" clients on using a specific camera can be challenging to impossible, much
    easier to just buy an Arri or RED or just rent whatever the camera of the moment is and be done with it.

7. Collapse Details
    +1 to both of you guys.

I’d prefer a Varicam over a Canon CX00, at this time.

Norbro, i was unclear earlier, i meant a FF C700 and the Sumire. I feel the C700 FF allows the Sumire to perform a bit better, a little sharper without being harsh. A fun rig. Pretty colors.
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-09-2019 at 08:27 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    I remember when the C300mk1 came out and anyone who said they didn’t like the look was told they don’t know how to shoot. Now we complain about anything that isn’t an Arri.

Personally, i’ll shoot on anything. I just enjoy shooting. I still mess with older video cameras and cellphones. Just acquired a DVX100A not long ago.

So, when i say a camera is not good in the highlights, or whatever, i am not saying i can’t use the camera.

Seems like a lot of us are in the same mindset. Sure, will shoot on a Fs7, but doesn’t mean i have to pretend it is perfect. These are tools, they are meant to be used and if they can be improved, then i hope to voice an opinion about what is most inhibitive when i work.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I remember when the C300mk1 came out and anyone who said they didn’t like the look was told they don’t know how to shoot. Now we complain about anything that isn’t an Arri.

Personally, i’ll shoot on anything. I just enjoy shooting. I still mess with older video cameras and cellphones. Just acquired a DVX100A not long ago.

So, when i say a camera is not good in the highlights, or whatever, i am not saying i can’t use the camera.

Seems like a lot of us are in the same mindset. Sure, will shoot on a Fs7, but doesn’t mean i have to pretend it is perfect. These are tools, they are meant to be used and if they can be improved, then i hope to voice an opinion about what is most inhibitive when i work.
    Couldn't agree more, I just edited a clip that had Go Pro, my aforementioned iPhone 8 Plus, C200 and Fuji XT-3. They all looked good in their own ways and I am happy using all of them. To me, a long time film shooter, all of these cameras are just different film stocks.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213