Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic Drops Price of Varicam LT to $9,995.00!
    I had major lust for this camera a year and half ago when I bought the C200 but I just couldn't afford it. Unfortunately still looking at $18k fully rigged out and they have not dropped the price of P2 media to be competitive
    with CFast 2.0 or other formats. Good deal though for someone who wants it, it is a really solid camera, love the images and build quality.
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/05/...am-lt-to-9995/
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Woke up to an email from Panasonic this morning about this. I’m on a multi-cam show next week shooting LT’s(show provided), but even at $10K body price, I still can’t justify buying one, because no one outside of Netflix and a few others seem to really be using them. My clients that were historically VariCam are largely F55/5 and Amira. It’s kind of a shame, because the original was THE camera that everyone went from SD to HD with at the broadcast and network level for features and news both. It was pretty much ubiquitous, at least here on the east coast. It knocked Sony off the throne for about a decade, until the F55/5 was introduced. Panasonic should have gone to these “Panasonic Shops” and offered deals on the V35/LT to them and all of their freelancers to keep them in the Panasonic ecosystem. If I thought I could market it and make money I’d get one, but I even had to turn down a deal from my dealer the other year for a full V35 package at ~$16K, because no one I deal with uses it.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I had major lust for this camera a year and half ago when I bought the C200 but I just couldn't afford it. Unfortunately still looking at $18k fully rigged out and they have not dropped the price of P2 media to be competitive
    with CFast 2.0 or other formats.
    Yep.
    $10K body
    $5,400 VF (I use native VF when available and there’s is good)
    $1,500 shoulder mount(I don’t really like their’s and would probably look elsewhere)
    $1,200 PL mount
    $5,750-$9,125 cards depending on size(IMO you need at least 5 cards minimum per camera to be operational. I have 5/each P2 Vari, 5/C300 and 10/F55-4K chews them up)

$23,850-$27,225 to be truly operational, in my opinion. Too much for a speculative/‘build it and they will come’ purchase.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Yep.
    $10K body
    $5,400 VF (I use native VF when available and there’s is good)
    $1,500 shoulder mount(I don’t really like their’s and would probably look elsewhere)
    $1,200 PL mount
    $5,750-$9,125 cards depending on size(IMO you need at least 5 cards minimum per camera to be operational. I have 5/each P2 Vari, 5/C300 and 10/F55-4K chews them up)

$23,850-$27,225 to be truly operational, in my opinion. Too much for a speculative/‘build it and they will come’ purchase.
    I know, I was trying to see if there would be a cheaper/budget way to make the package work and I come up with:

$10k body
    $1,199.00 PortKeys OEYE-3G EVF (won't be as good as the Panny EVF but probably decent)
    $500.00 Zacuto VCT Pro Baseplate (I already have one so this would be a freebie for me)
    $1,200.00 Panasonic Handgrip and arm

So for $12,900.00, I am shootable but the damn media throws the whole equation off. I regularly use 5 x 256GB Ego Disks when shooting RAW with my C200 so the same amount of storage for the LT would roughly be 3 x 512GB P2 plus media drive - $6k ;-(

I'm up to $19k to just get this camera into my current workflow, even really cheaping out on the accessories, which is a debatable idea. I've used the Panasonic EVF and it's excellent. The PortKeys is new and unproven as of yet, might be terrible, might be good? The Zacuto VCT Pro would work great with the LT and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any budget alternative for the Panasonic Handgrip and arm if I want remote triggering, which I would. I could live without PL mount as I own EF glass and can rent some pretty nice EF cine lenses when needed/warranted.

Yep, even at a discounted rate, just doesn't work for me. Panasonic should seriously consider just dropping the floor on P2 pricing, that media is integral to their higher end cameras and it's just too costly in 2019. If it were more in the $1.00 per GB range like most other cards and drives other than Arri and RED media, more people would take the leap. I know Panasonic wants to think the Varicam lineup is competing with the REDs and Arris of the world but if you look at rental rates and what rental shops carry and what shows and features are mostly shooting on, very few are shooting Varicam, especially LT although I have seen some GREAT looking images from the shows that do. Great camera line but there are some marketing/segmenting issues that are holding buyers back.

5. Collapse Details
    I only have two 256 GB P2 cards and have managed with those. I guess it depends on what kind of stuff you're shooting. When doing more high-end work I use the O7Q and record raw.

Internal recording 25 fps on a 256 GB P2 card:
    4K and UHD: 83 min
    1080p AVC-I444: 150 min
    1080p AVC-I422: 287 min
    1080p Prores 4444XQ: 81 min
    1080p Prores 4444: 121 min
    1080p Prores 422HQ: 180 min
    1080p Prores 422: 267 min

I use a Gratical Eye as EVF, works fine, and a Vocas shoulder mount. If you're going to use EF-lenses the handgrip/arm is the way to go. since you can control iris on it. The control unit can also be placed in front of you on a small arm if you're having the camera on your shoulder, and by doing that you have quick access to everything.

6. Collapse Details
    Mitch has an interview with Newsshooter's Matthew Allard where he talks about the difficulty of the $20k price point and says the cameras around $10k are now essentially good enough, and that the new pricing is a reaction to that.

I would argue that the "good enough" price point is creeping down towards maybe $7k.

Either you have a camera in that range, or you're still competing with "everything else". Even so, I'm sure there are customers looking at RED and ARRI that still would like to get away with something good enough for them that won't rob the bank, but I guess they are fewer and far between. Because at the end it's not just a question about what YOU like, but what is requested by the clients you go after.
    @andreemarkefors

7. Collapse Details
    This is a great camera but I think this price cut would have gone a lot further 2 years ago.

The media also really does make things difficult.

I always loved the image from the Varicam LT though, more than from the EVA1.

8. Collapse Details
    The c200 is a much better deal, with EVF , shogan flame, raw recording and dual AF at $7500. Like others said, their media pricing is unrealistic in 2019. Manufacturers aim at higher margins and end up selling few here and there instead of competitive pricing with smaller margins but the ability to generate higher total gross profits for selling much more. A good example is the sony A7III, different camera category, but the results are clear, total domination of the full frame mirrorless/dslr camera sales for the past year. Sony could have priced it at $3500 and reaped way less sales.

9. Collapse Details
    It's proprietary media, so it's always going to exist for a bit more.

C-Fast was once more expensive, but its commoditization has allowed for drastic drops.

Here's one I bought in 2014. 120GB (shaking my head).

SanDisk.jpg

If the cameras sold better, you'd have third-party expressP2 suppliers but they aren't bothering. Or maybe the cameras wouldn't work with them. Or it's not worth it because they'd be tied up with too much litigation like anyone who has even thought about making Mini-Mags.

I guess they are still a bargain compared to these:

Sony.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan O. View Post
    I only have two 256 GB P2 cards and have managed with those. I guess it depends on what kind of stuff you're shooting. When doing more high-end work I use the O7Q and record raw.

Internal recording 25 fps on a 256 GB P2 card:
    4K and UHD: 83 min
    1080p AVC-I444: 150 min
    1080p AVC-I422: 287 min
    1080p Prores 4444XQ: 81 min
    1080p Prores 4444: 121 min
    1080p Prores 422HQ: 180 min
    1080p Prores 422: 267 min

I use a Gratical Eye as EVF, works fine, and a Vocas shoulder mount. If you're going to use EF-lenses the handgrip/arm is the way to go. since you can control iris on it. The control unit can also be placed in front of you on a small arm if you're having the camera on your shoulder, and by doing that you have quick access to everything.
    Thats the challenge, I shoot documentary and often shoot 6-8 256GB CFast 2.0 cards in a day. No way I want to go back to the two cards and have to be downloading one while shooting the second drill like I used to do in the early days of P2. Talk about stress.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast