Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    bluetooth wireless headset for camera audio monitoring
    When working with a soundman as cameraman, he usually has some kind of audio solution. He does audio, i do images = easy. But sometimes i get one of those gigs where I must monitor the audio too and for that i have wired headphones that drive me crazy. The wire always gets in the way. Is there some kind of wireless solution? Something that connects straight to camera's aux jack and feeds wireless headphones?
    Patryk Rebisz
    director/DP
    www.ShoulderTheLion.com - my feature-length documentary
    www.TupeloProductions.com - my production company
    www.PatrykRebisz.com - my directing/DP work
    gear, gear, gear for rent in NYC area!!! >>> www.PatrykRebisz.com/lights.html
    (917) 291-2565

2. Collapse Details
    There's this with pretty good ratings - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alurate...?skuId=6332920

3. Collapse Details
    DANGER WILL ROBINSON. Bluetooth is incredibly poor at latency - which I simply cannot stand with video. Lips and teeth with much more than 15ms start to annoy. Bluetooth latency can be huge!
    Last edited by paulears; 05-26-2019 at 12:49 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    That's a good point.

Well then, another way to go is a proper wireless receiver/transmitter and regular headphones. I use a couple sets of Sennheiser G3s to feed the boom operator and my feed. Unfortunately, that takes you from a $30 solution to a $300 solution (used G3).
    Last edited by Paul F; 05-26-2019 at 01:06 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Latency isn't that much of a deal breaker for me. I'm monitoring only to make sure that the camera IS getting audio.
    Patryk Rebisz
    director/DP
    (917) 291-2565

6. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't go wireless for two reasons:

1) bluetooth has latency(you said you don't care), which is going to F you if you need to react to what is being said.
    2) If there is break-up, interference, etc., how do you know if it's what's going to camera or what's going from camera to you?

I've spent 22 years being cabled to a camera monitoring audio and I use custom in-ears(low profile, sound isolating) and a low-profile "curly" cable to go from the camera to my in-ear cable. Allows me to set the camera down without unplugging or breaking anything.

If the audio being recorded in-camera is the primary(or only) audio, then monitor with wireless headsets/ears at your own risk.

7. Collapse Details
    Right now i'm exploring the options because the wire drives me crazy. How do people watch TV with bluetooth headphones if latency is so bad/connection is unreliable?
    Patryk Rebisz
    director/DP
    (917) 291-2565

8. Collapse Details
    This could work well with a camera (+ low latency AptX BT 5.0): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N1CFVPD...pa_dk_detail_2

Comments say it works with Apple AirPods- which are very comfortable and well designed, however they many not provide low latency on non-Apple devices (AAC and no AptX). These or similar could work if comfortable for you: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Earb...dp/B07R413QBL/

Something like will probably work better / last longer: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Hea...dp/B07JCKZVCB/ (BT 5.0 with AptX).

Higher end, supports AptX (and AAC if you have an iOS device too): https://darko.audio/2017/12/bluetoot...wireless-iems/ (both around $100 on Amazon).

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryk_Rebisz View Post
    Right now i'm exploring the options because the wire drives me crazy. How do people watch TV with bluetooth headphones if latency is so bad/connection is unreliable?
    Good point. Though a walk through a store's tv display area playing the same source even without bluetooth will demonstrate the very apparent/distracting different processing delays when heard together.
    That new Roland R07 audio recorder has bluetooth monitoring..supposedly with a cutting edge qualcomm chip. I wonder how that fares.

10. Collapse Details
    Patryk, there are several demonstrations of the aptx low latency blue tooth transmitters on youtube. Check those out.

Here's one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKSwhc-sGA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast