Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The mimic is to me super. I have it rigged in various ways like on a tripod and head.. this gives one a camera like experience when remote operating. Im too old for gameboy controllers. Im still getting used to using it in a vehicle as one somehow needs to keep movement from transfering into the shot. you can see Im struggling on the long lens sections.. its about 150mm.

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for this thread. I had the more expensive servo version up for sale for a while and no one bought it. Guess I'll keep it. A long lens that can follow action with AF is a valuable thing even if I rarely use it .

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyLevy View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I had the more expensive servo version up for sale for a while and no one bought it. Guess I'll keep it. A long lens that can follow action with AF is a valuable thing even if I rarely use it .
    In LA, on Craigslist no less, had no issue moving all three lenses for the typical 'eBay Sold' price. For the FS700, A7S, and A7S II, these zooms were used 99% of the time, even though I had the MB IV and SpeedBooster and lots of great Canon L lenses. While the Canons do indeed have a nicer out of camera look, they are slower, noisy and not really any sharper (not rigorously tested, just didn't notice the Sony's being significantly softer for video). The shift to the Sony native lenses started when filming an actress walking toward the camera when using a Canon lens on SpeedBooster and realizing I could not track focus manually. I didn't have a follow focus and had never practiced; after a many missed takes the Sony 18-200 was swapped in and after a few takes we had the shot (contrast AF isn't that great, but with a few takes we got a winner). Again, never did specific tests, but I recall all the Sony's having better IS for video vs. the Canon L's. Sony's were cooler (K) vs. Canon.

Curious if Zeiss is involved with non-Zeiss labeled Sony lenses? https://www.digitalrev.com/article/d...and-pure-zeiss

Newer LE version and review: https://kenrockwell.com/sony/lenses/18-200mm.htm

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    its the silver one - no servo.
    Update it. Sounds like the original FS100/FS700 lens.

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    Sam, thanks for opening my mind to the Movi Mimic. I am going to hunt down a rental for some upcoming shoots this summer. Looks like it could help me nail a few important shots.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    AF is getting better and better with every new camera and only a fool would ignore those advances.
    Just spilled my coffee. Doug, I think your account has been hacked!

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    http://www.ohfilmworks.com
    IMDb

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    My eyes have seen the glory.
    Hey, if wer'e on the verge of self-driving cars, surely auto-focus shouldn't be a tough nut to crack. I think face detect and Fast Hybrid are good enough to use in the right situations. I put stamp of approval on them.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    AF is getting better and better with every new camera and only a fool would ignore those advances.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCummings View Post
    Just spilled my coffee. Doug, I think your account has been hacked!
    My ass is still hurting from when I fell out of my seat after reading that, too. Lol

9. Collapse Details
    Cracked my glasses when I fell over! Just goes to show you can still teach an old dog new tricks. Gotta admit I agree.

10. Collapse Details
    I think the phrase is, "You can still teach an old DOUG new tricks."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast