Thread: "Camera Carts"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87
  1. Collapse Details
    #21
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,160
    Default
    After working a 3-Day shoot at a hotel conference with my 2nd shooter that has a RockNRoller I decided to pull the trigger on the Stealth R12 version w/ the Jumbo GripnGaff bag. After going from that (everything from two cinematographer's vehicles in one trip) back to my caravan of kiddy wagons on my shoot all around a college campus later that week I was sold. My other shooter had the R8, but I decided to spring for the R12 for the bigger wheels and the stealth version because I find the yellow annoying, ha. He also had the Jumbo GripnGaff bag and it was great.

    I realized RocknRoller carts aren't the best, but for the price they are a great value. I plan on making my own deck and a few mods to make it easier to use/set up ala this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Hj0VLENtc


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,988
    Default
    The thing that a lot of folks dont like about RnRs is the quality control. You may get a good one, or you may get one where the smart wheels dont always touch the ground at the same and one wheel often wobbles (like I did). Over time your handles may bend outward instead of staying 90 degrees (like mine do) be because all that keeps those handles upright is two tiny pieces of metal that can get bent. Your big/dumb wheels may start getting wobbly and loose over time (like mine did) for no apparent reason, it may start rolling really rough like there’s twice as much weight on it (like mine does) and your axles may develop a slight bow (like mine did).

    So um, welcome to ownership, I guess?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #23
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,369
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    After working a 3-Day shoot at a hotel conference with my 2nd shooter that has a RockNRoller I decided to pull the trigger on the Stealth R12 version w/ the Jumbo GripnGaff bag. After going from that (everything from two cinematographer's vehicles in one trip) back to my caravan of kiddy wagons on my shoot all around a college campus later that week I was sold. My other shooter had the R8, but I decided to spring for the R12 for the bigger wheels and the stealth version because I find the yellow annoying, ha. He also had the Jumbo GripnGaff bag and it was great.

    I realized RocknRoller carts aren't the best, but for the price they are a great value. I plan on making my own deck and a few mods to make it easier to use/set up ala this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Hj0VLENtc
    I did the shelf mod a few years ago and it saves a ton of time and makes it 10x easier.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #24
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,369
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    The thing that a lot of folks dont like about RnRs is the quality control. You may get a good one, or you may get one where the smart wheels dont always touch the ground at the same and one wheel often wobbles (like I did). Over time your handles may bend outward instead of staying 90 degrees (like mine do) be because all that keeps those handles upright is two tiny pieces of metal that can get bent. Your big/dumb wheels may start getting wobbly and loose over time (like mine did) for no apparent reason, it may start rolling really rough like there’s twice as much weight on it (like mine does) and your axles may develop a slight bow (like mine did).

    So um, welcome to ownership, I guess?

    Once they get too bad, chunk ‘em. If I get a few years out of one, I got my money’s worth. Again, for me, it’s not the price difference between an R’nR and a Magliner (oh, you could buy a Magliner that will last forever for the money you keep dumping into R’nR’s every few years), it’s the convenience and capability of the R’nR.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,988
    Default
    Interesting. I don't know if that's a normal attitude here in town. I know some lucky dogs that have the older versions (red/grey) before the company was sold...those are built much sturdier but I've never even seen one on ebay.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #26
    Senior Member Run&Gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,369
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    Interesting. I don't know if that's a normal attitude here in town. I know some lucky dogs that have the older versions (red/grey) before the company was sold...those are built much sturdier but I've never even seen one on ebay.
    One of my friends has an old grey n red version. You can definetly see/feel the change in quality over the years. Some good. Some(too much) bad. My first set was black n yellow, but they were still built much sturdier than todays(except for maybe the 16). This was the early 2000s when I bought it. The only weak link in the chain back then was the front casters. They sucked donkey @ss, but the frame was solid. After you replaced the front casters with real ones, you could haul more than one person should be pushing or pulling by-themselves. I know I met or exceeded the 500lb weight limit on a regular basis.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #27
    Senior Member robmneilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston Texas, by way of Brooklyn NY!
    Posts
    2,008
    Default
    Are there any companies that make a better Rock n Roller? The R12 I have is pretty much on death's door, and the newer ones that I have used on shoots I've hated. I've got my trusty backstage magliner, but need a 2nd cart for pelican's and was just going to go with an OG magliner since they will last.
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #28
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,160
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Are there any companies that make a better Rock n Roller? The R12 I have is pretty much on death's door, and the newer ones that I have used on shoots I've hated. I've got my trusty backstage magliner, but need a 2nd cart for pelican's and was just going to go with an OG magliner since they will last.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_utility.html

    This cart seems to be a direct competitor that has tried to improve on some of the inconveniences of the RocknRoller (see their comments in their youtube video). Knowing that they had an eye on improving the cart I would have liked to purchase one from them in hopes of better quality control, but they only have one size cart right now that didn't extend as long as I would have liked. Something to keep an eye on though. Like Josh mentioned above quality control seems to be something that Rocknroller isn't working on (because the requests/complaints are everywhere), so it would be nice if a company came along, fixed those things and just charged a little more - there's tons of pricing room between RnR and the next avail cart.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #29
    Senior Member chris f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,160
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    The thing that a lot of folks dont like about RnRs is the quality control. You may get a good one, or you may get one where the smart wheels dont always touch the ground at the same and one wheel often wobbles (like I did). Over time your handles may bend outward instead of staying 90 degrees (like mine do) be because all that keeps those handles upright is two tiny pieces of metal that can get bent. Your big/dumb wheels may start getting wobbly and loose over time (like mine did) for no apparent reason, it may start rolling really rough like there’s twice as much weight on it (like mine does) and your axles may develop a slight bow (like mine did).

    So um, welcome to ownership, I guess?

    Haha. I plan on taking my cart over to my buddy's shop to weld some offset cross bars, make my own shelf, and then really look the cart over and see if there's any of those weaknesses that we can reinforce while still preserving the portability of the cart. I would have gladly paid $100 more for a better version of the cart, but they just don't exist so I'm looking at this cart as a fixer upper....


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    792
    Default
    If you're going RnR and want a better top shelf, check out the mod the top commenter shows off on this Amazon R12RT page. A good idea (for example: it just drops on; doesn't bolt on like the standard RnR shelf(, and pix too:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rock-N-Roller.../dp/B003AYLJXU

    For example:
    RnR_Shelf_Mod.jpg

    As for Magliners, yes they are heavy and not as foldable as RnRrs, but some friends switched the default and heavy pneumatic wheels to the "all plastic" replacement wheels. I can't recall the exact models (but I intend to find out since my Jr could stand a bit of a diet); they say those wheels are fine with the loads we carry (ie- lots of weight, but nothing like some Magliner users): https://www.magliner.com/product/rep...t-parts/wheels
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •