Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Arri alexa rental
    Hello,

Is anybody here still renting out a arri alexa classic? Do they still get rented much?

Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    I think every big town has a classic to rent somewhere. They seem to range from $300-$1000 per day and need a fair bit of support to build them out........ plus they weigh a bit! I almost bought one last month for $6k so you could look at used $8-10k.

3. Collapse Details
    Yes I know they are available for renting, but just wondering if they rented out a lot. As I might want to buy a alexa classic for getting some of my money back. But I due want to rent it out, but Im not sure a lot of people are still interested in renting an alexa classic.

4. Collapse Details
    The one I was going to buy was from a rental house and they were selling it as it stopped renting out. Too big, power hungry and only shoots 1080 were the downsides. That said, the image is amazing and a lot of things are delivered still at 1080p.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaroid22 View Post
    Yes I know they are available for renting, but just wondering if they rented out a lot. As I might want to buy a alexa classic for getting some of my money back. But I due want to rent it out, but Im not sure a lot of people are still interested in renting an alexa classic.
    You need to poll your clientele to see if it's an item they will rent.

It would be silly to spend the coin on something which just sits on a shelf.

I pretty much just rent the Mini now, and have stopped renting the Classic.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    At the two main camera rental houses around here (San Francisco Bay), I think the oldest Alexa the still rent is the Alexa EV. If you're looking to rent it out, don't forget to budget for (and calculate needed return on) all the extra gak even a "just body" package includes.

For example, here's what Chater Camera includes wit their Alexa EV body, which rate cards at $475/day:
    https://chatercamera.com/content/arr...a-ev#undefined

Way back when, I regularly rented out my Betacam SP VTR. It was a pain. While I'll help out a pal who has a last-minute unexpected need, I'll leave rentals to those who do this full time.

OTOH, if I owned a currently hot camera, I might sub-rent it through an established rental house (as in: "We need five Venice bodies for this job" and then the rental house might include mine in the deal). But otherwise, nah.

HTH!
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    It’s insane what rental houses rent gear out for. Especially looking at the depth of inventory they must keep, responsibility & expectations(hey the camera just died, we need another here 5 minutes ago) and the even more ludicrous discounts they give for long term rentals, where they are all but giving the gear away for free, just to have it “working”. I honestly don’t understand how they all haven’t folded, yet.

$475/day for an Alexa. I rented my original C300 for $600/day, just a few weeks ago. And my F55 sure as heck doesn’t go out the door for $475. But I also don’t live in CA or NY...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    But R&G, Chater rents Venice and Amira Premium bodies for about $1,250/day.

They're a solid profitable house. And they're super good about figuring out what cameras can actually earn back their cost during the dozen(ish) months any camera is hot...

What a biz!
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

9. Collapse Details
    Hello,

Is anybody here still renting out a arri alexa classic? Do they still get rented much?

Thanks!

The short of it is that the market for Arri Alexa classic rentals is all but dead. I wouldn't anticipate getting many rentals on one, even in a large market.
    Big sources matter.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    It’s insane what rental houses rent gear out for.
    $475/day for an Alexa. I rented my original C300 for $600/day, just a few weeks ago. And my F55 sure as heck doesn’t go out the door for $475. But I also don’t live in CA or NY...

What is included for the $475? Is that the rate for the body only or for a complete camera package? Often the base rate is "low" but they make the money on all the little add-ons. A specialty cable that rents for $15.00 a day. Or wireless FF.
    Big sources matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast