Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Relay Record? Two cards... Am I wrong?
    Hi Everyone,
    First time this has happened to me because I have never completely filled a card but I was on a shoot the other day, with two matching 128 Gig cards and I ran out of space on Card 01... I thought with relay record ON, it would automatically start recording to Card 02, but it didn't and started showing the timecode in red on Card 01. I had to turn the camera off, remove Card 01, place Card 02 in the #1 slot and turn off Relay Record to finish the shoot. Am I wrong in my thinking? How do I make it automatically switch to Card 02 when Card 01 is full?

Also, when it shows the red timecode is it just telling me it isn't recording? Is it overwriting media that is already on the card? I was afraid it might corrupt the card or something since it was full.

Thanks for your help!

Curtis

2. Collapse Details
    I've never used RELAY but....after a Google search of your issue, you are not alone in seeing this behavior.

3. Collapse Details
    I have a client that has a bunch of these and there are issue. Had a problem with one a few months ago. Popped card #1 for the producer to take it and feed. There was a card in slot #2 and shot the next post game interview on it. Went to the next player and it would not record. Had to pop the card from slot #2 and put it into slot #1 for the camera to record again. I hate all of the little toy cams...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I have a client that has a bunch of these and there are issue. Had a problem with one a few months ago. Popped card #1 for the producer to take it and feed. There was a card in slot #2 and shot the next post game interview on it. Went to the next player and it would not record. Had to pop the card from slot #2 and put it into slot #1 for the camera to record again. I hate all of the little toy cams...
    Honestly, that behavior makes sense to me if I understand your situation correctly. Not moving from a filled card-1 to a not filled card-2 when both cards are identical and the camera is in RELAY mode does not make sense.

5. Collapse Details
    I’m not sure I follow your post. Are you trying to say that you think the camera behaved “properly” by not recording?

It wasn’t my camera and I don’t know exactly how it was set-up. I was simply pointing out that the cameras appear to be buggy with regards to recording/switching slots and the like. With my P2 VariCam’s, F55 and C300(and pretty much any other multi-slot “card based” camera I’ve used) when you remove a card that has been recorded on from a slot, if there is a card with open space on it in the “next” slot, then the camera will record to it next, with no user intervention required(making all the standard presumptions that it’s a proper card, no record inhibit switch on the card is activated, etc.).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I’m not sure I follow your post. Are you trying to say that you think the camera behaved “properly” by not recording?

It wasn’t my camera and I don’t know exactly how it was set-up. I was simply pointing out that the cameras appear to be buggy with regards to recording/switching slots and the like. With my P2 VariCam’s, F55 and C300(and pretty much any other multi-slot “card based” camera I’ve used) when you remove a card that has been recorded on from a slot, if there is a card with open space on it in the “next” slot, then the camera will record to it next, with no user intervention required(making all the standard presumptions that it’s a proper card, no record inhibit switch on the card is activated, etc.).
    I was only saying that if the camera was set to RELAY mode (per the original post) and there was no card in slot-1, I would not have been surprised that the camera didn't automatically switch to card-2.

7. Collapse Details
    Hey... thanks everyone for looking... to be more specific, there were two identical cards in the camera from the get-go, when the first card became full, the camera did not start recording on the second card.

I didn't remove card 01 until it wouldn't work, that's when I turned relay off and put card 02 in slot 01 to finish the shoot.

Seems like Panasonic has just dumped this camera, no updates and no support.

Thanks again,
    Curtis

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillMedia View Post
    Hey... thanks everyone for looking... to be more specific, there were two identical cards in the camera from the get-go, when the first card became full, the camera did not start recording on the second card.

I didn't remove card 01 until it wouldn't work, that's when I turned relay off and put card 02 in slot 01 to finish the shoot.

Seems like Panasonic has just dumped this camera, no updates and no support.

Thanks again,
    Curtis
    I should have asked....are you on the latest firmware (1.84)?

I wouldn't expect updates at this point for a camera introduced over 3 years ago. I would, however, expect support. Have you contacted Panasonic and not received an answer?

9. Collapse Details
    I had this scare as well. The red time code I believe is normal when getting near the capacity of the card. It will eventually start recording to the second card (as long as it's the same type) once the first card is full. Pay attention to the red LED's next to each card slot to see which is currently being recorded to.

From Barry's e-book:
    Perhaps most importantly, when you’re doing a RELAY recording, the red light will be lit
    up next to the card that’s currently being recorded to, and the other card’s
    light will be off. When you want to swap cards, pay careful attention and
    only eject the card whose light is currently off.

Be aware that RELAY REC requires two cards, and they both have to be
    actively recordable (so one can’t be write-protected) and, if you’re using
    AVCHD mode, they both have to be in the same format (meaning, you can’t
    have one card for 50Hz mode and one for 60Hz mode, they both have to
    be formatted in the camera in the same mode, in order to be compatible).

Relay Rec not available during VFR or Interval Recording; Simultaneous not
    available if you’re using an SDHC and an SDXC memory card (they need to
    be identical types)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    On my DVX I have noticed tat when card 1 starts to fill it, the time remaining indicator flashes red, as noted in prior posts.
    Once it is filled up, (card #1) it will automatically switch to card 2, BUT the card 1 time indicator will continue to flash red, as though there is a problem. But there's not, it's all ok.
    I watched the time left readout for card 2, and it will show it keeps going down, as the card is consumed. Although the continued flashing red indicator for card 1 is really distracting and does not seem to be necessary once the camera has successfully switched to card 2.
    Hope this helps,
    Steve

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast