1. Collapse Details
    Adapting Canon Glass to Fuji X-T3
    Hello folks,

I have quite an investment in Canon glass and am wondering how well they adapt to the XT-3. Clearly a waste to use a FF lens on a small camera but I'd rather not buy new glass. What's the best adaptor?

Thanks,
    CJ

2. Collapse Details
    Pretty sure Dan (PureDrifting) has done this.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the reference!

4. Collapse Details
    In other threads Puredrifting has mentioned he uses the Fringer with some success.

5. Collapse Details
    Fringer Pro. Some success would be right. Let's get it front and center, the Canon lenses work fine on the XT-3 with the Fringer Pro adapter, the aperture control, IS, etc. BUT, the focus is subpar compared to the native XF lenses. I have shot several times with my XT-3 and the EF S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM and the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM on my motion control slider and in both cases, I would describe the focus as "twitchy". It will lock onto and hold a subject but at times, partocularly when the lighting is challenging or the subject turns in an oblique angle to camera, the focus slightly hunts. Not a big hunt, just little tiny microadjustments that are nonetheless noticeable. I tried shooting with my EF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS II and my EF S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and with both lenses, if you zoom on a subject too fast and go full zoom, the adapter freaks the lens out, it goes way out of focus and won't lock back on until you turn the lens to MF, focus it and go back to AF mode. If you zoom very slowly and delicately, it will usually hold the focus okay.

I probably have the best results with my EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, it works pretty well overall with the Fringer. But that is such a big, heavy honking lens to attach to the tiny and light weight XT-3.

FWIW, I am looking to replace most of my Canon lenses with XF versions. They are smaller and work better on the Fujifilm XT-3. Not a problem for me because I have a C200 that is our A camera so I still need and use all of my Canon glass on that camera. I have also discovered that I don't need a huge set of Fuji glass to be happy.

1. XF 10-24mm f/4.0 OIS WR for gimbal
    2. XF 16mm f/1.4 low light for gimbal
    3. XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 OIS for handheld, run & gun small lens.
    4. I am thinking of picking up the XF 50mm f/2.0 WR mainly for interviews on our Rhino EVO motion slider, I find 50mm is the sweet spot for shooting slider interviews along with either a wider or a longer focal length on the C200. My Canon 50mm looks beautiful on it but the AF is just too twitchy, it's doing that micro hunting too much to rely on.
    5. For long lens, I will just use the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II either on our C200 or on the Fuji. I rented the Fujinon XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS WR, great lens but I just don't need to reach out to 400mm or 560mm with the 1.4X TC very often. When I do, I'll just rent it.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.