1. Collapse Details
    This does not bode well for us...

2. Collapse Details
    Look at the big picture, everything, do a deep dive and research what's really going on, and you may reach a different conclusion.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    FWIW, within their last fiscal year, Olympus moved their factory out of China and into that hotbed of independent film making Vietnam. Because Vietnam is cheaper.

PS. And if one scans the financial publications, the prevailing feeling is that those who got caught in this should have seen it coming down the turnpike and thus have no one to blame but themselves.

4. Collapse Details
    [QUOTE=jcs;1986790243]Look at the big picture, everything, do a deep dive and research what's really going on, and you may reach a different conclusion.[/QUOTE
    Meaning what?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    Look at the big picture, everything, do a deep dive and research what's really going on, and you may reach a different conclusion.
    Meaning what?
    A first question is do cheap products from overseas really make our lives better? Is there a correlation to the massive loss of jobs and the challenge to make a basic living? Does the loss of manufacturing in this country have an effect on other industries, e.g. filmmaking and video related work? Has there been a trend of prices getting lower for camera/media products along with loss of work opportunities and pay rates for productions? Do these patterns apply to other products, markets, and jobs?

What if overseas prices went up and at the same time more local jobs and higher pay also occurred? Is there any kind of manipulation going on? (focus on economics, math, and finance (truth that can be verified with logical proofs), not banned forum topics (illusion and lies)).

These concepts can also be helpful (also related to storytelling for film: The Hero's Journey): https://medium.com/@davidgallan/who-...t-8404344779ce

A fun exercise for 2019: when those around you are exclaiming the sky is falling, play the role of rebel and see if you can find constructive ways to solve whatever the issue is, to see things from a creative and constructive point of view, and keep going like a warrior as the arrows fly at you, using ultimate truth as your guide. See if you can get others to follow your creative constructive lead, a puzzle to be solved, something you can contribute to solving with others as a team. You can apply this concept when leading a film crew to make movies as well as any creative product or life challenge.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    While i dislike trade wars, i am used to spending a lot of money on Cameras. I see no diffeence for me, except i get to hold onto my current cameras longer. So, i spend less. ;)

Quick buy up all those Aputure lights!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    My post wasn't meant as a "sky is falling" one. Simply to inform my fellow filmmakers that the cost of our gear might go up. No economic or philosophical critiques intended... As James said I will probably be keeping my gear longer if gear does increase significantly.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    The overwhelming trend in photo-video gear prices is down and the value (quality/cost) way up.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.