Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cinegear 2019 News and Rumors
    Here we go again!

Thoughts, rumors, good humor, and maybe actual news.

More information about the expo:
    http://www.cinegearexpo.com/master-classes

2. Collapse Details
    DJI Phantom 5 is way overdue. That's what I'd like to see.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

3. Collapse Details
    A phantom 5 would be interesting. Anything more and it rivals the best solutions out there.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I've also been waiting for the Phantom 5, but recently there have been rumors floating that the Phantom 5 has been canceled. I hope it isn't true but supposedly DJI is planning to focus on the Mavic 2 form factor with their prosumer droids.

If this is the end of Phantom hopefully it's absence will create enough space for Yuneec or some other player in the step into the void. I had hight hopes for Yuneec's Typhoon Pro H Plus given the increased stability and survivability of a hexacopter but I'm not sure it can match DJI's image quality on the Mavic 2 or PP4.

https://dronedj.com/2019/04/26/dji-r...om-5-canceled/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    Yeah, I've also been waiting for the Phantom 5, but recently there have been rumors floating that the Phantom 5 has been canceled. I hope it isn't true but supposedly DJI is planning to focus on the Mavic 2 form factor with their prosumer droids.

If this is the end of Phantom hopefully it's absence will create enough space for Yuneec or some other player in the step into the void. I had hight hopes for Yuneec's Typhoon Pro H Plus given the increased stability and survivability of a hexacopter but I'm not sure it can match DJI's image quality on the Mavic 2 or PP4.

https://dronedj.com/2019/04/26/dji-r...om-5-canceled/
    The drone market is so untapped.

Drone shots in Pacific Rim were awesome.

6. Collapse Details
    We're in bad shape as an industry if the best we are hoping for from CineGear would be the announcement of a low end consumer drone. if that's the case, CineGear could surpass NAB for most boring trade show of the year.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 05-12-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure the number of product announcements at Cinegear is a good metric of the health of the industry. With only 300 exhibitors vs over 1700 exhibitors at NAB, Cinegear seems like it seems like more of a regional show and lacks the reach or scale of NAB or IBC. Those larger shows with formal press conferences catering to an international press corp make them the perfect place for major product announcements. I personally like Cinegear because it's smaller and if you're patient you can get face time with almost everyone at the show without having to fight the crowds that come with the bigger trade shows.

I'm not sure I'll make it out again this year but if I do I'd like to check out the ALEXA Mini LF since it's supposed to released mid-year. This would be a rental only item for me but I am interested in finding out more about it.

At the lower end I'm interested in seeing how the Atomos/Nikon collaboration is coming along. Earlier this year they said they were capturing ProRes RAW at higher than 4K resolutions and if they can swing 6K or 8K ProRes RAW they will have my attention. Before this was announced there was 0% chance I was going to buy a Nikon this year but if they pull off something amazing Nikon has a good chance of getting my money. A few months ago they said they were targeting a release something in the second half of the year so hopefully they'll be able to show something at Cinegear.

Panasonic has been pretty quiet at the high end and they are the only major player without a 6Kish resolution sensor. Of course I am only speculating, but it would be cool if Panasonic updated their Varicam line with an improved version of the EVA1 sensor. Mitch knows what's going on but as usual he's the ultimate secret keeper.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    We're in bad shape as an industry if the best we are hoping for from CineGear would be the announcement of a low end consumer drone. if that's the case, CineGear could surpass NAB for most boring trade show of the year.
    Rumors have it there are going to be exciting announcements of yet more video over IP solutions :p

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Formats getting larger, cameras getting smaller. It will be interesting to see if anyone annouces smaller FF35 cinema lenses.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Formats getting larger, cameras getting smaller. It will be interesting to see if anyone annouces smaller FF35 cinema lenses.
    I think we need new mounts, like Canon's RF mount to get truly new lens designs. Like you say James: formats are getting larger, and from a lens' point of view it doesn't matter if the camera body is small, if the sensor it needs to cover remains large.

And speaking of Canons RF mount.... reading some of Canon's white papers, they mention the ability for more compact lens designs with maintained quality as one of the strengths of the new mount's shorter flange distance. Still, looking at the release of the 85mm f1.2 RF makes it obvious that when truly building for quality, size won't change all that much.
    @andreemarkefors

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast